Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my opinion, there are no good arguments for replacing the steering wheel with a yoke or for replacing the stalks with buttons. Neither of those are improvements.

I'd actually take it a step further and say that I'm not sure this is even subjective. Not sure there's any thorough testing or data on the subject, but the yoke is straight up missing half the wheel - in an emergency it has a lot of surface that can't be grabbed.
Judging by how many people seem to love to modify their Model 3/Y to put a yoke, I think a lot of people would disagree. Not everyone cares about the ability to grab the wheel in emergences, they just love how the wheel looks with the yoke. If they added an aftermarket screen also, they also have the practical advantage of it not blocking the view.
As for the stalks... buttons just *might* be sufficient for the task, but having to look for them is a no-go. I have no desire to give up my stalks, and I'm guessing 250 million other drivers in the US agree.
For the turn signal buttons and the wiper/voice buttons, I don't believe you have to look for them as there is a raised portion that allows you to locate them by feel. The headlight and horn button is the issue (horn in particular because you are more likely to need to use them in an emergency).

I think Tesla did an exceptional job condensing controls for the Model 3. They jumped the shark on the new S/X. I'm not sure I would entertain buying one with a yoke and no stalks. Especially with how half assed they did it on the S with a normal steering ratio. They even ditched the scroll wheels which brought a lot of functionality to the table.
Well they kept the scroll wheels BUT they removed the ability to adjust following distance on TACC/AP. So every time you want to adjust it you have to dive into the menu to do it. Another idiot move on their part.
Judging by how many people seem to love to modify their Model 3/Y to put a yoke, I think a lot of people would disagree. Not everyone cares about the ability to grab the wheel in emergences, they just love how the wheel looks with the yoke. If they added an aftermarket screen also, they also have the practical advantage of it not blocking the view.

For the turn signal buttons and the wiper/voice buttons, I don't believe you have to look for them as there is a raised portion that allows you to locate them by feel. The headlight and horn button is the issue (horn in particular because you are more likely to need to use them in an emergency).
The 3/Y users who go with a yoke, likely didn't go with the wide plan, they put in the S. Additionally they didn't get slammed by removing the stalks and what that screws up. If the general public (i.e. not major Tesla fan bois) had to drive the S for a while in its current configuration, there would definitely be a lot of screaming. My wife never wants to drive the S.

Even my sons who are of the age who might actually think this is actually a cool idea have pretty much given up on asking me to drive the S and ask for the 3 instead. I'll take usability over looking cool in my primary controls any day!

How many people is that exactly? A few hundred maybe in a sea of hundreds of thousands. I'm sure a lot of people will also do other untasteful mods to their cars but that doesn't mean Tesla should cater to a miniscule minority.

If they move them to buttons on the steering wheel, I don't really see why it's that big of a deal. Isn't that even easier and faster? All my other cars have floor shifters, I'm still not used to reaching up to the dashboard to put it in gear lol.
Sure, it would be easier and faster if you never turned the wheel... Assuming you did a good job of laying them out in the first place. And of course, you didn't do anything asinine like moving the horn to a tiny little button instead of the middle of wheel and the list goes on.

To top it off, let's replace the shifter with buttons or a screen that operates much slower than the stalks. You'll never have to change direction quickly while needing to keep your eyes on the road. I bet you've never started to enter a blind intersection only to realize there is oncoming traffic and you need to back up. Likely you've never been going through a parking lot behind someone and they realized they overshot a parking place and throw it in reverse and you need to do the same to prevent them from backing into you. You likely never have to do 3 point turns (or a few more point so to speak) to park the car or turn around in a tight area. Hmm, maybe you've never driven in snow and were stuck and you needed to rock the car to help get unstuck.

Those are just 4 examples of where the removal of the stalks just for the gear shift is a total cluster. It isn't like they replaced it with something equal or better.

Sure, it would be easier and faster if you never turned the wheel... Assuming you did a good job of laying them out in the first place. And of course, you didn't do anything asinine like moving the horn to a tiny little button instead of the middle of wheel and the list goes on.

To top it off, let's replace the shifter with buttons or a screen that operates much slower than the stalks. You'll never have to change direction quickly while needing to keep your eyes on the road. I bet you've never started to enter a blind intersection only to realize there is oncoming traffic and you need to back up. Likely you've never been going through a parking lot behind someone and they realized they overshot a parking place and throw it in reverse and you need to do the same to prevent them from backing into you. You likely never have to do 3 point turns (or a few more point so to speak) to park the car or turn around in a tight area. Hmm, maybe you've never driven in snow and were stuck and you needed to rock the car to help get unstuck.

Those are just 4 examples of where the removal of the stalks just for the gear shift is a total cluster. It isn't like they replaced it with something equal or better.

Well like I said, all my other cars have floor shifters. And none of those issues you're having has been a problem for me yet so, I don't imagine going from stalks to buttons is going to be any different, if not easier.

Driven a lot of cars in my day:), and some of them were kind of weird. I've had push button shifting on the steering wheel and on the dashboard. Again, for me it's just not that big a deal. Seems like a lot of hoopla over nothing. If it is, then I guess don't trade yours in.

Reactions: Blackbart
The shifter is less of an issue than the turn signal, since the shifter is used relatively uncommonly and generally only when stopped (though a difficult to use one may be an annoyance during parking). Also, shifters seem to be different on a lot of different cars, so people may be used to them being different.

The more important UI issues with stalk removal are:

FunctionUse frequencyStandardized across cars
Turn signalHigh (for drivers who use it)Yes
Headlight high/low beamDepends on dark road drivingPartially
Wiper wipe onceDepends on rainNo
Cruise control and autostreer on/offVaries by driver preference and driving on suitable roadsNo

Note that all of the above may be needed to be used while moving, as opposed to stopped. The turn signal is probably the biggest issue.

If they move them to buttons on the steering wheel, I don't really see why it's that big of a deal. Isn't that even easier and faster? All my other cars have floor shifters, I'm still not used to reaching up to the dashboard to put it in gear lol.
My first car (a used 79 Cutlass) had a steering wheel shifter, so while not recent, not new. Change from the LEAFs weird knob shifter thing.