Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looks like they are removing stalks from the 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This "remove the stalks" decision is just so hard to understand. It's very clear that Tesla is disconnected from their own customers.

I guess we all already knew this, with them providing no direct feedback mechanisms, not growing the service centers with car sales, and pushing major regressions to their software. Not to mention the humanoid robots AD/HD.

Perhaps it's time for Tesla to go away. It seems they've already served their purpose of pushing the auto industry to go electric. Although if they die now, major auto might keep cranking out ICE vehicles for a *long* time.

Tesla has an almost Apple-like cult of "remove more input devices" - sometimes to the detriment of the functionality of the product.

If they don't improve the usability of the stalk-less design for the 3/Y is (compared to how it's implemented on the S/X), it will start having an impact on orders because people will get to experience it during test drives, unlike with the S/X. I suspect that it will be at least somewhat improved, with better button positioning, and horn in the center as it always should have been.

Who knows though, it's in the insane running the asylum at Tesla when it comes to certain product and usability decisions lately.

The seat moves back to your settings once your profile is selected, which happens with the phone key as soon as you get in the car. They could add seat controls to the app too though.
That almost never works correctly. My car almost always selects my wife's profile. And when I step on the brake to start it the car tries to crush me so I have to hurry up and select my profile before my chest and the steering wheel are touching.

And my phone is set to be the default when both of ours is recognized.

Tesla tech... Pfft.

Tesla has an almost Apple-like cult of "remove more input devices" - sometimes to the detriment of the functionality of the product.
Exactly, what I was thinking:

Eliminating stalks has made this uncomfortable again. Luddites always resist change.
I'm OK with adjusting to change, *provided* it's a practical, useful, and positive change. Some elements of the change assume FSD removes certain key and routine driving functions from the driver's responsibilities. However, I think it may be a bit early for that, and drivers are paying the price.

I'm OK with adjusting to change, *provided* it's a practical, useful, and positive change. Some elements of the change assume FSD removes certain key and routine driving functions from the driver's responsibilities. However, I think it may be a bit early for that, and drivers are paying the price.
This is the main issue. When we get to the day where FSD works and is infallible then I don't care if they replace the stalks with a magazine rack. However this is not that time. Not even close as people are running over motorcyclists, turning into medians, crashing into other vehicles, etc with FSD. These vehicles are still nothing more than regular EV's with highway driving assist. They are still driven by the masses just like any other car. Don't make that any harder than it has to be because the guy running the show is a big nerd.

Well like I said, all my other cars have floor shifters. And none of those issues you're having has been a problem for me yet so, I don't imagine going from stalks to buttons is going to be any different, if not easier.

Driven a lot of cars in my day:), and some of them were kind of weird. I've had push button shifting on the steering wheel and on the dashboard. Again, for me it's just not that big a deal. Seems like a lot of hoopla over nothing. If it is, then I guess don't trade yours in.
You are clearly missing the point. Have you driven an S or X yet with the current shifting arrangement?

I've driven cars with 3 on the tree, floor shifters, push button, shifters, motorcycles where you have to twist the left grip to shift as well as actuate the cluteh, left had drive, right hand drive, motorcycles with reversed shifting patterns, cyclical shifting patterns, motorcycles with gear shifts on the right and left, hand shift motorcycles, twist grip throttles on the left, backhoes, combines, bulldozers, dump trucks, semis, hovercraft, snowmobiles, jetskis, all manner of boats and aircraft. Probably forgot some vehicles and control systems I've worked with along the way.

One thing almost ALL those other vehicles have in common is that you can pretty much operate the control for going forward or reverse (if they have one) without looking at and pretty much all by tactile feedback. The buttons on the S/X are totally flush with the surrounding console. At least with a pushbutton shifter on old cars, it was like selecting whatever jam you had preset on the AM radio. You could do it without looking AND it was fairly responsive.

The yoke and lack of stalks is about the only regret I have about buying my S. Well, that and the typical shitty quality control from Tesla where I had to wait a month after getting my car so they could fix something that if I continued to drive it, would have really screwed up the car even worse. Imagine if when you open the driver's door it impinged on the front fender to the point it was bending the fender and removing the paint from the door and fender and trying to bend both pieces. Last thing you want is Tesla doing a bunch of paintwork on your car and crushing the value of it before you even drive it.

There was clearly not enough thought put into the controls considering true FSD is pretty much Elon's pipe dream at the moment.

That almost never works correctly. My car almost always selects my wife's profile. And when I step on the brake to start it the car tries to crush me so I have to hurry up and select my profile before my chest and the steering wheel are touching.

And my phone is set to be the default when both of ours is recognized.

Tesla tech... Pfft.
FYI there is no way to set a priority for the key when both are detected:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
You can tie a key to a profile, but which key (and thus profile) is selected can be either one if both keys approach the car at the same time.

You can set a priority for Bluetooth when your profile is selected, but this has nothing to do with the key, only which phone is connected to audio.

Reactions: Transformer
FYI there is no way to set a priority for the key when both are detected:
You can tie a key to a profile, but which key (and thus profile) is selected can be either one if both keys approach the car at the same time.

You can set a priority for Bluetooth when your profile is selected, but this has nothing to do with the key, only which phone is connected to audio.
I was referring to the phone "key." I rarely ever use the card.

I was referring to the phone "key." I rarely ever use the card.
Yes, I know, I'm talking about the phone key also. As you see in the manual linked, there is no way to set a priority for phone keys. There is no such option in the key menu.

The priority you set in the Bluetooth menu only applies to Bluetooth phone audio when the given profile is selected. It has nothing to do with phone keys.

It seems you were thinking it would prioritize which driver seat profile would be selected, when such a feature doesn't exist in the first place.

Reactions: Transformer
Yes, I know, I'm talking about the phone key also. As you see in the manual linked, there is no way to set a priority for phone keys. There is no such option in the key menu.

The priority you set in the Bluetooth menu only applies to Bluetooth phone audio when the given profile is selected. It has nothing to do with phone keys.

It seems you were thinking it would prioritize which driver seat profile would be selected, when such a feature doesn't exist in the first place.
That's how it *should* work though. Typically in a couple there's one defacto driver when together.

The "priority music device" isn't even useful.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
That's how it *should* work though. Typically in a couple there's one defacto driver when together.
Yes it would be nice to have.
The "priority music device" isn't even useful.
I disagree. When a given profile is selected as a driver, the driver's phone is the one that should be selected as the main bluetooth device so calls coming in gets routed to the car for handsfree. I find this more important given it sometimes is not apparent until a call comes in and it really is not practical to mess around with the settings then (whereas for driver profile it is typically obvious when you start driving that your profile is not selected).

Yes it would be nice to have.

I disagree. When a given profile is selected as a driver, the driver's phone is the one that should be selected as the main bluetooth device so calls coming in gets routed to the car for handsfree. I find this more important given it sometimes is not apparent until a call comes in and it really is not practical to mess around with the settings then (whereas for driver profile it is typically obvious when you start driving that your profile is not selected).
That makes sense. I hadn't thought about phone calls, only about music. For music, I actually expect the passenger to manage that.

I thought that the key was priority... because I *swear* when my wife and I get in the car together, it typically switches to my profile. Maybe I just get to the car before her.

You are clearly missing the point. Have you driven an S or X yet with the current shifting arrangement?

I've driven cars with 3 on the tree, floor shifters, push button, shifters, motorcycles where you have to twist the left grip to shift as well as actuate the cluteh, left had drive, right hand drive, motorcycles with reversed shifting patterns, cyclical shifting patterns, motorcycles with gear shifts on the right and left, hand shift motorcycles, twist grip throttles on the left, backhoes, combines, bulldozers, dump trucks, semis, hovercraft, snowmobiles, jetskis, all manner of boats and aircraft. Probably forgot some vehicles and control systems I've worked with along the way.

One thing almost ALL those other vehicles have in common is that you can pretty much operate the control for going forward or reverse (if they have one) without looking at and pretty much all by tactile feedback. The buttons on the S/X are totally flush with the surrounding console. At least with a pushbutton shifter on old cars, it was like selecting whatever jam you had preset on the AM radio. You could do it without looking AND it was fairly responsive.

The yoke and lack of stalks is about the only regret I have about buying my S. Well, that and the typical shitty quality control from Tesla where I had to wait a month after getting my car so they could fix something that if I continued to drive it, would have really screwed up the car even worse. Imagine if when you open the driver's door it impinged on the front fender to the point it was bending the fender and removing the paint from the door and fender and trying to bend both pieces. Last thing you want is Tesla doing a bunch of paintwork on your car and crushing the value of it before you even drive it.

There was clearly not enough thought put into the controls considering true FSD is pretty much Elon's pipe dream at the moment.

I'm not missing the point you just are hell bent stuck on yours. Tesla has constantly made changes and some of them based on user feedback, and people aren't going to like them all. But y'all are flipping out over something you have no idea what the final design is even going to be. Total waste of time, and that's my opinion. So you can type six or seven more chapters if you like lol, but I'm going to continue to hold judgment until I actually see a physical product. It might be amazing. And if it's not I just won't buy the car, it's really not life-changing. To be honest, I don't know why some of y'all even drive Tesla's at all.

Reactions: santua
Having stalks saved me a few months ago when some random semi truck took a turn into a gas station way too wide and was about to hit me, was able to quickly flip itno reverse and get out of the way. They must’ve been a new driver since they ended up beaching their trailer on the curb.