Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P - Who switched from a (true) sports car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna start taking mountain drives each weekend until the shelter gets lifted. Generally there will be a 911 or a M3 with me so we shall see how the P3D does in comparision. It did great chasing a GT3 through the mountains last weekend. I was thoroughly impressed. His P car couldn't get away from my p car.

It had little trouble keeping up with a recent vintage GT3 in a bog standard 2015 Mustang GT in mountain twisties a few years ago. I think a performance Tesla 3 would be a troublesome adversary for one of those unless you were on a closed course with some very long straightaways...

Best,

I switched from a stage 2 Audi S5 DSG coupe to an M3P. I have not had the car long enough to make a truly informed reply but thus far it has exceeded my expectations. Acceleration is simply brutally fast compared to the S5 (or my previous Corvette, Mustang or BMW M3), but I find the handling to be better balanced as well. I know the S5 is notorious for terminal understeer but my S5 has the active rear diff with the ability to overdrive the outside rear wheel and with sport pilots its glued to the ground. I have not had time to take the M3P to the track yet but on my back woods haunts I can edge out my S5 speeds. When you add in the instant power, one footed driving and fantastic infotainment system and safety features I don't miss my Audi at all. The overall quality of the interior is higher on the Audi but the Tesla is no slouch. I am still probing the limits of the chassis so far I am really surprised at how good this car is. For the 99% of the time I am commuting or traveling I enjoy it a great deal more.
Glad to hear from you because I come from a very similar background and am looking forward to getting my M3P.
My background has me coming from MGs very early on through Austin-Healys, Triumphs, BMWs, Porsche and Corvettes (which I have now and will keep) I've tracked or auto-crossed all of them and after meeting some Tesla owners at a BMW meet got interested. After driving a demo M3P I decided to go for it. Off the string, I do have a couple of questions about the M3P. Tesla is extremely difficult to get information from!! Are the wheels under the 'areo' wheel covers the good looking dark grey spoked wheels I see in pics of Teslas and how do I get my M3P with them on it and has anybody heard of some kind of rim savers as I've heard a lot of complaints of 'road rashing' wheels.

Glad to hear from you because I come from a very similar background and am looking forward to getting my M3P.
My background has me coming from MGs very early on through Austin-Healys, Triumphs, BMWs, Porsche and Corvettes (which I have now and will keep) I've tracked or auto-crossed all of them and after meeting some Tesla owners at a BMW meet got interested. After driving a demo M3P I decided to go for it. Off the string, I do have a couple of questions about the M3P. Tesla is extremely difficult to get information from!! Are the wheels under the 'areo' wheel covers the good looking dark grey spoked wheels I see in pics of Teslas and how do I get my M3P with them on it and has anybody heard of some kind of rim savers as I've heard a lot of complaints of 'road rashing' wheels.
Not sure about the 2021s since the wheel design changed but on the 2020s and earlier it looked the attached picture. That being said I don't believe you get a choice unless you buy off menu. The M3P will come standard with the 20 inch wheels and the large performance brakes, which as you say, can be easy to scrub against the curb. If you happen to get the M3P with these wheels on the picture (if you buy off menu) or the 2021 equivalent then it won't have the larger performance brakes as these wheels won't clear the larger brakes.
1616180739199.png

I have not heard of a 'Stealth' '21 which is basically just an AWD but w/ performance software?

Not anymore - the motors are now different.
I should have differentiated. True, different motor unless you could get them to do it, which may be possible, slim to none chance though.
They were probably just low on some P parts why they actually sold the stealth because price increase is not worth the heavy parts at all.
at any rate upgrade coil overs no matter what car you get. otherwise the 3 is pretty springy. at least the stealth is super springy

I have owned Porsches in the past but only had one car (an S) when I decided to buy my 3 (Dual motor LR). I drove a Cayman amongst others and just didn’t like the pedal lag you get with even the best ICE cars. Once you go electric you just can’t go back(wards) to ICE. Admittedly I didn’t have a chance to compare serious cornering but for regular driving the 3 was more nimble too. Maybe a Miata would be more nimble but it’s not a real sports car.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad
Who switched to a M3P from a proper sports car (i.e. BMW M3/M4, Merc C63, Caddy V, Audi RS, Vette, higher trim Stang/Camaro, etc)?

If so, which one?

I knew there was going to be a drop in handling/chassis performance, but it's a bit more than I was hoping for. The track numbers and certain reviews made it seem like the disparity was smaller than I'm experiencing, but I think the sheer power and instantaneous torque helps the numbers themselves. Numbers/times aside, there are a number of chassis characteristics that are sorely lacking. The damping is probably the biggest gripe.

However, I (sort of) knew what I was getting myself into, and the car is still enjoyable.

This is by no means a dumping ground of a thread, just curious what others think who came from a proper sports car.
Switched from a FBO E85 2010 Nissan GTR to a p3d. It definitely outhandles my p3d; however, it was on aftermarket coilovers (true coilovers on all 4 corners) and also lighter TE37’s. But the p3d definitely blew me away out from factory, definitely similar characteristics. I believe with just coilovers and front and rear sway bars on the p3d that it’ll be a monster for now it’s just my daily!

I have owned Porsches in the past but only had one car (an S) when I decided to buy my 3 (Dual motor LR). I drove a Cayman amongst others and just didn’t like the pedal lag you get with even the best ICE cars. Once you go electric you just can’t go back(wards) to ICE. Admittedly I didn’t have a chance to compare serious cornering but for regular driving the 3 was more nimble too. Maybe a Miata would be more nimble but it’s not a real sports car.

lol. the miata is literally, the most popular sports car in the history of cars.

also, the model 3 has nothing on a miata's corner speed

• Love
Reactions: Dolemite
lol. the miata is literally, the most popular sports car in the history of cars.

I agree, that's why you see so many Miatas here in this list of fastest times at Buttonwillow...

Screenshot_20210320-152724.png

Shoot, sorry. Can't seem to find anything showing how epically fast Miata cornering speeds make them superior over other cars when you add the rest of the track into the equation.

Traded a C7 Grand Sport M7 for the M3P. I miss the dual mode V8 exhaust note and rowing my own gears from time to time but as mentioned if you can only afford one car the M3P seems to do everything pretty well. I feel that the M3P has more "useable" power than a lot of high horsepower sports cars since most street driving acceleration is in the 0-60 range. You can definitely feel the swell of torque drop after about 60mph but it still pulls pretty hard to triple digits.

For those who have grown up around high horse powered cars I think the most eye-opening thing about the M3P performance is how effortless it is. I mean there is literally no skill involved, anyone can get to 60 in ~3.0 sec and consistently run mid 11s by just mashing the pedal whereas in RWD muscle car you need to heat the tires, manage the launch, shift the sweet spot, etc. In some ways the M3P performs with its traction control so well I miss some of the challenge of an ice based vehicle.

Speaking of traction control, this is where I think Tesla should relax the settings a bit more. Even in Track Model I feel like it is still holding back. I found the stability and traction control systems in my Camaro 1LE and C7 Corvette offer more fun.

Agreed. I had a 2016 ND Miata Club. That car was a real hoot to drive. There is something very real about the "drive slow car fast" formula. I mean you get to wind out 1st-3rd and you will not risk jail time and at 2300lbs and a short wheel base it will whip around a corner like a go-kart.

Reactions: Dolemite and ngng
View attachment 646397
I agree, that's why you see so many Miatas here in this list of fastest times at Buttonwillow...
Shoot, sorry. Can't seem to find anything showing how epically fast Miata cornering speeds make them superior over other cars when you add the rest of the track into the equation.

spoken like somebody who doesn't drive. you are conflating corner speed with lap times.

spoken like somebody who doesn't drive. you are conflating corner speed with lap times.

You're 100% correct. But last time I checked, even nascar tracks have straights. So unless you plan on buying a miata and spending all day driving around a traffic circle, you'd probably be better off using a model 3, either in stock or modified form.

You're 100% correct. But last time I checked, even nascar tracks have straights. So unless you plan on buying a miata and spending all day driving around a traffic circle, you'd probably be better off using a model 3, either in stock or modified form.
the miata is the most popular sports car in history. it holds that record, and still does to this date. you can look it up. not sure what point you are trying to make. you listed a series of lap records, which are def not in reach for any normal human

Reactions: SK360