Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a note on 17 in screen this morning saying "Congratulations, your Google Maps has been Updated" or something like that. Have not gotten a chance to use it much today but wondering if others have gotten this message.

This thread should probably be moved to the "User Interface" sub-forum.

I believe map updates take place constantly. People are often reporting them, hoping for them, etc.

That being said, I received the first one I've ever received since taking delivery about sixteen months ago just a couple of days ago. So it's possible that there is a bit of a push happening now, or perhaps you and I just happened to receive our map updates at around the same time.

Edit: Checking the "User Interface" subforum, there are a couple of Maps threads in which a lot of people are reporting getting maps updates in the past few days. Here they are--

Maps Update

Nav map update Jan 2016

Last edited:
It appears that I may have it as well:

From Model S:
Capture.PNG

From Model X:
Capture.PNG

3.6 GB of ssh traffic yesterday just after midnight on Model S from Amazon AWS. Could be an update being positioned, I suppose, but I don't have any notifications of an update.

(I'm on a business trip, so it's unclear and I don't plan to bug the wife. :))

Last edited:
Just came looking for this thread because there's a post in the "News" section on this (that should get moved here) and I wanted to check if others were receiving updates as well. I too received my first maps update since taking delivery in December 2014 two days ago. So it would appear some sort of major map update is in progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got mine earlier today. It sits at home with wifi all night, every night, but updated while I was out without access to wifi. Don't think wifi makes much of a difference.

It's possible that the update may have downloaded (or mostly downloaded) over wifi, and then needed some processing time, so only showed you that it was completed while you were away from wifi, when in reality the download, or at least most of it did take place over wifi.

First update, 4 months ownership.

Forgot to add, in my prior experience with vehicles with nav systems, this update would be an additional $300-500 (I have yet to update my X5). And you would have to either get the new DVD/CD or USB download, either through the mail, or through your helpful dealership. This is on top of the 3000-5000 you paid for the Navigation software/hardware you had installed in your car. Yes you can argue we already paid for it... but ain't it awesome, OTA!

Last edited:
I had a message that said "congratulations you have the most current maps" or something like that, but now my trip planner doesn't work. I have a whole host of other bugs going on with my car that Tesla is investigating so this glitch may be related but it's pretty lame my trip planner doesn't work too.

Got mine today - 2nd update in 37 months. And because our area has new construction, will be interesting to see how old these maps really are. It's likely the maps are at least 3 to 6 months out of date already (while the Google maps update almost immediately when roads change).

Got mine today - 2nd update in 37 months. And because our area has new construction, will be interesting to see how old these maps really are. It's likely the maps are at least 3 to 6 months out of date already (while the Google maps update almost immediately when roads change).
That is two updates more than I have received over the same period.

Good news - I received the update yesterday. Bad news - appears the maps may be at least a year old already.

The navigation software still thinks my house is at the wrong place on the block; that it takes 5 minutes to drive the first few feet on our street; and a major street being added near our house is still missing, even though it's been there for over a year (and many houses now line side streets on both sides of the new street).

I've again reported the problems to Tesla. This time I didn't bother with the car's "Bug Report" feature - and sent an e-mail, with pictures. Though if the problems are out-of-date map data, it could be at least another year before I'll see any progress.