Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly. How many were asked to drive with drunk drivers, sleepy drivers, drivers who are getting off amphetamine high and about to crash, etc...?
The point is that FSD beta plus an alert driver is safer than others.
Last I checked those things are illegal because society decided they would prefer not to take those risks.
Whether FSD Beta is safe or not has not been determined (far too few miles have been driven). Turning into oncoming traffic certainly doesn’t seem safe and is not something I expect the safest drivers to do.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Last I checked those things are illegal because society decided they would prefer not to take those risks.
Whether FSD Beta is safe or not has not been determined (far too few miles have been driven). Turning into oncoming traffic certainly doesn’t seem safe and is not something I expect the safest drivers to do.

A better analogy is giving driver's licenses to 16 year olds. Is letting kids that young drive objectively a risk to others on the road? Probably. But society has decided that those risks are worth taking for the sake of training the next generation of drivers.

And in most states that have green-lit autonomous vehicle testing because their representatives have also decided that the risks are worth training those autonomous driving algorithms.

Are you suggesting people who haven't had enough sleep are driving illegally? Might be a large percentage of drivers, since I hear many complain they didn't get enough sleep. There is a large list of stimulants and caffeine is generally considered acceptable.
Something from a google search:
Caffeine is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant of the methylxanthine class. It is the world's most widely consumed psychoactive drug.

Last edited:
I started to write the exact same message and changed my mind. Decided I was done arguing the point. But, absolutely true. We choose to get on the road every day with drivers that we have no clue what their situation is, many of which shouldn't be on the road. This is a system designed to improve safety and in many aspects it has. Tesla releasing it to more people who passed their "test" will allow it to gain more data faster to get to the desired results sooner. So, maybe, I repeat, MAYBE now, we're only 3-5 years away from true FSD, whereas without the added beta testers, likely were at least 10 years out.

This has occurred to me as well.

This is a bit cynical, but I have wondered if Tesla saw an oncoming regulatory storm that will shut down their beta test program, and so they accelerated it so they could gather as much data as possible to feed into Dojo before it all gets shut down. This is brilliantly cost effective - imagine the thousand or so of us who are spread out all over the country where there are a wide variety of weird traffic situations, and now they are capturing extensive data on those situations that they can feed into their simulator and neural net trainer even long after the beta test program is hypothetically shut down by the feds.

Now imagine what that means to Tesla's competition in the self-driving space. It would be (read with a whiny tone) so unfair for Tesla to be able to grab all this extensive and diverse data from all around the country... and so inexpensively. I can only imagine the conversations that Tesla's competitors are having with the NHTSA. Doing their best to protect all of us from Tesla's evil plan that is putting everyone at risk! (/sarcasm).

All that said, I predict the NHTSA shuts all this down soon, just a matter of time. If one, single, serious accident occurs while a vehicle is on FSD, expect it to be shut down immediately. But either way, it'll be shut down, it's just a matter of time (my prediction). Enjoy it while it lasts.

Did anyone who got the 10.3 beta actually get bumped back down to 10.2 like Musk said was happening?

If you did was 10.2 your previous firmware or did you have just the regular public (non beta) build prior to getting 10.3?
Not sure if this was answered by others already, but I DID get the 10.3 beta on Sunday morning, drove with 10.3 once with a bunch of FCWs, then got the notification to "update" to 2021.36.5.1 which did take me back to 10.2 non-beta. 10.2 non-beta is what I had before Sunday, but that version was shown as 2021.32.22 in the Tesla app.

Not sure if this was answered by others already, but I DID get the 10.3 beta on Sunday morning, drove with 10.3 once with a bunch of FCWs, then got the notification to "update" to 2021.36.5.1 which did take me back to 10.2 non-beta. 10.2 non-beta is what I had before Sunday, but that version was shown as 2021.32.22 in the Tesla app.
Mine went back to 36.5.1, and showing same in the app. If I was to guess, I would think the rollouts are going to happen to cars throughout the next couple of days based on the model type, equipment, etc., then on to the next model and so on.... I would be surprised if it was a massive rollout to all cars at the same time.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Software version 2021.36.5.3 is currently downloading.
1635178817425.png

Reactions: Phlier and DogStar1