Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now getting accustomed to going out and opening a door
Opening the app (which eventually will wake up the car) prior to going out to my M3 seems to avoid this issue. Seems to need a minute or 2 to wake up first thing in the morning. If on the other hand, I go out to my M3, open the app it seems like there is a 50-50 chance that the app will not connect to the car and/or a BT issue connecting.

Got this morning and my first drive was SO encouraging. In the city I was getting phantom braking at almost every crosswalk (and shadow) and this morning I had none. Also got though a problem area I was having. Was all prepared tp praise 10.4 as vastly improved. Then I had my 2ed drive and it was like I had reinstalled 10.3.1. Phantom braking was back with a vengeance.

Had a bad first 10.4 drive.

- The turns seem more jittery and less accurate ? Will have to check more.
- Had a very weird lane change attempt. I had a small truck in front - and a large truck to the side at a traffic signal. I was in the right lane, with a right turn coming up soon. Once we got the green light and the vehicles started moving, the car wanted to change to the lane behind the big truck ?!
- At a roundabout, the car car stopped quite a few meters behind the entering line and wouldn't budge, even with go pedal press. Had to disengage.
- Went too close to a parked car where the lane split and we had to take the right turn, so disengaged
- Low Sun caused the car not to recognize the right side line at times. It just used the curb as the lane edge
- In a short 5 mile drive, probably disengaged 5+ times

But the weirdest was this interaction with a pedestrian with 2 dogs.

- I saw the pedestrian & dogs waiting to cross, some 100 ft ahead. If I was driving manually, I'd just go ahead, since the road is somewhat busy and people tend to wait longer on this road. FSd seemed to be going ahead as well - but decided to suddenly slow down from 35 to 20 mph closing to the crossing, even as the pedestrian was waving me to go ahead. Then, he must have thought the car was going to stop - so he stepped forward - but the car kept going and I had to disengage and move out of the way.

I think with letting a pedestrian cross first, the car has to have stable decisions. It can't brake first and then decide to go ahead anyway. That gives the pedestrian the wrong signal.

ps : LOL - found out what the problem with sudden lane change attempt was. FSD detected a traffic cone on the road - the cone was actually on the truck in front. :oops:

No cone in this shot ...

vlcsnap-2021-11-08-10h04m36s705.png

Cone in this shot a second later ...

vlcsnap-2021-11-08-10h04m46s098.png

Also the curious case of navigation going blank.

Last edited:
car stopped quite a few meters behind the entering line and wouldn't budge, even with go pedal press. Had to disengage
As in you tapped the go pedal, and it didn't want to continue by itself? I've never experienced the car overriding my pedal presses to not budge, but I do keep it depressed if it feels like the car won't continue accelerating. I believe typically actual continued pedal presses are only overridden during automatic emergency braking and pedal misapplication mitigation -- both to avoid crashing or running off the road.

A note that if you do just keep pressing instead of disengaging, there is a chance that FSD Beta will suddenly decide on a different path.

Tested 10.4 briefly this morning, mostly had the same good/bad behavior as 10.3.1 in the same conditions with the exception of a couple things:
* A few pages back I mentioned an intersection where the car wanted to stop 100% of the time. Today this intersection was uneventful (no stopping).
* A ton of new phantom braking on easy straight roads.

As in you tapped the go pedal, and it didn't want to continue by itself? I've never experienced the car overriding my pedal presses to not budge, but I do keep it depressed if it feels like the car won't continue accelerating. I believe typically actual continued pedal presses are only overridden during automatic emergency braking and pedal misapplication mitigation -- both to avoid crashing or running off the road.

A note that if you do just keep pressing instead of disengaging, there is a chance that FSD Beta will suddenly decide on a different path.
Emphasis mine. I would guess, based on an ancient non-Tesla experience, that said emphasis describes the behavior. While FSD Beta shouldn't treat its braking as human braking and override the accelerator accordingly, I suspect that is exactly what was happening. Right logic in the wrong place type situation.

There was a car behind - so didn't want to experiment too much. I gave one push - and when it didn't go, I disengaged.

Looking at the recording - it was showing "creeping forward" when I pushed the pedal.

Had a bad first 10.4 drive.

- The turns seem more jittery and less accurate ? Will have to check more.
- Had a very weird lane change attempt. I had a small truck in front - and a large truck to the side at a traffic signal. I was in the right lane, with a right turn coming up soon. Once we got the green light and the vehicles started moving, the car wanted to change to the lane behind the big truck ?!
- At a roundabout, the car car stopped quite a few meters behind the entering line and wouldn't budge, even with go pedal press. Had to disengage.
- Went too close to a parked car where the lane split and we had to take the right turn, so disengaged
- Low Sun caused the car not to recognize the right side line at times. It just used the curb as the lane edge
- In a short 5 mile drive, probably disengaged 5+ times

But the weirdest was this interaction with a pedestrian with 2 dogs.

- I saw the pedestrian & dogs waiting to cross, some 100 ft ahead. If I was driving manually, I'd just go ahead, since the road is somewhat busy and people tend to wait longer on this road. FSd seemed to be going ahead as well - but decided to suddenly slow down from 35 to 20 mph closing to the crossing, even as the pedestrian was waving me to go ahead. Then, he must have thought the car was going to stop - so he stepped forward - but the car kept going and I had to disengage and move out of the way.

I think with letting a pedestrian cross first, the car has to have stable decisions. It can't brake first and then decide to go ahead anyway. That gives the pedestrian the wrong signal.

ps : LOL - found out what the problem with sudden lane change attempt was. FSD detected a traffic cone on the road - the cone was actually on the truck in front. :oops:

No cone in this shot ...

View attachment 730702

Cone in this shot a second later ...

View attachment 730703

Also the curious case of navigation going blank.
The cone on the truck scenario reminds me of Elon in the AI Day video... He said that he has a T shirt with a stop sign on it. And yes, Teslas will stop when he unzips his jacket and flashes the stop sign T shirt.

Your poor car probably would have exploded if the truck had a few stacks of cones in the back.

Did you happen to report the cone/truck scenario? That's definitely a not too uncommon "edge case" they need to get programmed in.

Emphasis mine. I would guess, based on an ancient non-Tesla experience, that said emphasis describes the behavior. While FSD Beta shouldn't treat its braking as human braking and override the accelerator accordingly, I suspect that is exactly what was happening. Right logic in the wrong place type situation.
Thats not how it works normally - you press the accelerator when its hesitating, FSD will go forward.

Uh oh.

That can't be good.

Wonder if it's going to end up being bad enough to find ourselves in another 10.3 scenario.
Meh. Big difference between random FCWs and AEBs. One is mildly to majorly annoying, depending on how much random sounds bug you (I have had mine set to early in every car I’ve had that came equipped with the feature since I don’t really care and I prefer an alert when I don’t need it to no alert when I do). The other is a danger to everyone on the road.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt
There was a car behind - so didn't want to experiment too much. I gave one push - and when it didn't go, I disengaged.

Looking at the recording - it was showing "creeping forward" when I pushed the pedal.
That’s so strange. Whenever I hit the go pedal, it goes. I don’t tap, though, I just press like I’m driving and controlling the speed. I can kind of feel when the car is accelerating itself and that’s when I release the pedal. I think I’m easing off slightly and feeling if the car slows up a bit or continues accelerating and/or I’m feeling when the car is accelerating more than what the pedal position should be allowing, but I’m honestly not sure. I can just feel it.

The cone on the truck scenario reminds me of Elon in the AI Day video... He said that he has a T shirt with a stop sign on it. And yes, Teslas will stop when he unzips his jacket and flashes the stop sign T shirt.

Your poor car probably would have exploded if the truck had a few stacks of cones in the back.

Did you happen to report the cone/truck scenario? That's definitely a not too uncommon "edge case" they need to get programmed in.

Yes - in various AI Day etc they have specifically talked about situations where two objects are together, rather than separate. Like a car on a vehicle carrier, a bike behind a SUV ... or a cone on a truck (though I don't remember this particular case in a presentation). They have to account for these.

I definitely reported - though who knows how many snapshots are sent. I'll probably start sending daily emails with images as well.

@EVNow what camera mount are you using to record your display while you're driving?

I've had so many "darn, I wonder what the screen showed?" moments that I think I'm going to go ahead and get some sort of camera mount installed to record all of FSD and its shenanigans.

Right, thats the reason I started recording. I first used my VR camera - but the screen wasn't clear enough to makeout. So, bought a GoPro10 just for this. I'm using a suction cup mount and an extender.

Meh. Big difference between random FCWs and AEBs. One is mildly to majorly annoying, depending on how much random sounds bug you (I have had mine set to early in every car I’ve had that came equipped with the feature since I don’t really care and I prefer an alert when I don’t need it to no alert when I do). The other is a danger to everyone on the road.
Agreed, but 10.3 had both. The FCW's were far more common than the AEB's, but it was the FCW's that were first reported.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc

Ha! That's funny about the stop sign shirt and reminds me of one of my earlier FSD drives. There were 3 construction workers on the right sidewalk area of the road I was driving down (they weren't in the street at all) but their bright green safety vests showed up on the display with the same green glow that green stoplights get. There weren't stoplight visualizations, just that same green glow. At first they weren't recognized as pedestrians, but as I got closer and started to pass, the green glow went away and they were shown as pedestrians.

Got 10.4 last last night (around 11:45pm) but haven't had a chance to try it out yet today. All I've done is play with Sentry Mode Live Cam. The voice thing is awesome.

• Funny
Reactions: Phlier and EVNow
That’s so strange. Whenever I hit the go pedal, it goes. I don’t tap, though, I just press like I’m driving and controlling the speed. I can kind of feel when the car is accelerating itself and that’s when I release the pedal. I think I’m easing off slightly and feeling if the car slows up a bit or continues accelerating and/or I’m feeling when the car is accelerating more than what the pedal position should be allowing, but I’m honestly not sure. I can just feel it.
When you are at a small/tiny roundabout with very little room for error, you can't do all this. Either the car has to navigate by itself, or you do manually.

All I'm willing to do is to give it one little push when its hesitating. ;)

Reactions: aronth5