Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been a beta tester for four weeks now. First time posting here.
I've noticed that FSD beta doesn't stick to smooth radius turns. It appears to "overfit" its intended path with very jerky steering wheel movements. When making a protected RIGHT turn, the car should have its path computed, then execute a smooth turning of the wheel to the right to conform to that path. What often happens is a "too sharp" turn to the right, then a jerky correction to the left (which I frequently intervene and smash the camera button) and another jerky correction to the right again. I thought this might be happening due to shadows or perceived obstacles in the road, but it happens in a variety of different situations (day, night, well-lit, shadows, etc.). in my picture, blue dashed is supposed to represent a "natural feeling" turn. The red is what I get out of FSD beta.

Attachments

• Right turn.png
    Right turn.png
    639.7 KB · Views: 64
I've been a beta tester for four weeks now. First time posting here.
I've noticed that FSD beta doesn't stick to smooth radius turns. It appears to "overfit" its intended path with very jerky steering wheel movements. When making a protected RIGHT turn, the car should have its path computed, then execute a smooth turning of the wheel to the right to conform to that path. What often happens is a "too sharp" turn to the right, then a jerky correction to the left (which I frequently intervene and smash the camera button) and another jerky correction to the right again. I thought this might be happening due to shadows or perceived obstacles in the road, but it happens in a variety of different situations (day, night, well-lit, shadows, etc.). in my picture, blue dashed is supposed to represent a "natural feeling" turn. The red is what I get out of FSD beta.
Yeah, pretty common. The consensus seems to be that the pathing is just erratic, due to perception issues, or inference issues, or just issues with the path planner. If you review video from the car during the turn you might see the path jump around when this happens.

Discussion here of hypotheses:

In any case it's just not very stable.

You are probably stuck on the current level until the next release of the production build that will work with your config and the FW levels of the components in your car.

@omarsultan Nope, finally out! Note, they loaded an older version of firmware, and not the 2021.40.5.1 branch with ARNR! So, If I don't follow the instructions, I will get the next beta load on Sunday?!

"Hello xxxx,

FSD Beta 10.4 has been removed from your vehicle and a production build has been pushed to it, which will be downloaded upon selecting to install it. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, this will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.

-FSD Team"

See attached screenshot. This is consistent failure. When attempting the left from “Sheridan” to where the white car is on the bottom left, always fails. It’s only once made this turn correctly on 10.3.1 while it was raining. 10.4 doesn’t do it at all, no matter the weather.
Out of curiosity, what type of failure do you see here - do you mean it needs to take that fork looking thing the white car appears to be heading towards and the beta turns onto the main road or something?

Side-by-side lanes/roads with different semantics seem to be a common issue, e.g. the San Jose driving videos by AI Addict where it turns onto the train tracks instead of making a wider turn to take the road, or this intersection where it needs to follow the green path over the red one. Today it was very confident in taking the red path, when normally it threatens to smash into the pillar while deciding. I wonder what sort of update will help fix this one as the alley is not something I can find on a TomTom map - that path seems to be mostly parking and ends up exiting to another street with no way to get back to the green path road without several extra turns.

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 8.14.59 PM.png

Reactions: impastu
@omarsultan Nope, finally out! Note, they loaded an older version of firmware, and not the 2021.40.5.1 branch with ARNR! So, If I don't follow the instructions, I will get the next beta load on Sunday?!

"Hello xxxx,

FSD Beta 10.4 has been removed from your vehicle and a production build has been pushed to it, which will be downloaded upon selecting to install it. To ensure you do not receive future Beta updates, please go to the Autopilot UI and select Controls > Autopilot > Request Full Self-Driving Beta, this will trigger a pop-up which will then present you with the Opt-Out button. You can opt back into the FSD Beta queue at any time by selecting the Request Full Self-Driving button.

-FSD Team"
Cool - congrats

I wonder what sort of update will help fix this one as the alley is not something I can find on a TomTom map - that path seems to be mostly parking and ends up exiting to another street with no way to get back to the green path road without several extra turns.
Report map correction to TomTom. Might help ... eventually.

I thought you wanted to drive it like the Plaid you bought it to drive it like? Seems to me your score would ensure that you don't get the next beta load on Sunday (or the current load sooner). That having been said, I doubt you'll get ARNR while you are opted in, either, because I'm guessing they don't include the opt-in option with every production build. Given what you've stated you want, I'd recommend opting out with the understanding that once you get ARNR you may not have the option to opt in again for some period of time if some production builds don't all have that option.

Reactions: impastu
Now watch, just because @jebinc dropped out of the Beta, 10.5 is gonna be a real game changer!

Even if it isn't, let's tell him it is...
Severe (reverse) buyers remorse by T-Day.:oops: Something to bitch to the family about while I'm taking mine for a eye opening test ride.🤣🤣🤣

EDIT: At least you can melt their eyeballs into the back of their head.o_Oo_O