Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow .... that’s some serious damage. I agree, it’s from transport. Good lesson for everyone - read the book and know it better than any random tow truck person.

So sorry. I can’t fathom how that can be repaired. If you can prove it was from delivery though, hopefully the Tesla service folks have some ideas.

Thanks everyone for your comments. The damage is all going in the same direction so it looks as if the car "slid". But what you've said makes sense, it doesn't actually make sense this would have been done by jacks nor jacks stands, it looks like tie-downs.

I did not have Home Delivery, they don't do it on weekends anymore :rolleyes: Nonetheless I'm sure there's some transport involved delivering the cars to the Fremont location because the car only had like 8 miles on it.

Waiting to hear back from the detailer to confirm if he noticed it or not; looks like I'll be contacting Tesla...

Reactions: super20g
Thanks everyone for your comments. The damage is all going in the same direction so it looks as if the car "slid". But what you've said makes sense, it doesn't actually make sense this would have been done by jacks nor jacks stands, it looks like tie-downs.

I did not have Home Delivery, they don't do it on weekends anymore :rolleyes: Nonetheless I'm sure there's some transport involved delivering the cars to the Fremont location because the car only had like 8 miles on it.

Waiting to hear back from the detailer to confirm if he noticed it or not; looks like I'll be contacting Tesla...
So it was like that even before you took delivery. I will have to go check mine now.

Seems like a lot of damage, if it was done by the detailer it would cost a lot of money to fix so that’s why he probably wouldn’t say anything.

Why was the detailer lifting the vehicle anyways was your wheels being powder coated? (Possible they took it somewhere else for that job if that’s the case)

If you picked your car up at the Fremont hub I’m not sure they trailer the cars from the factory to that place (it’s what couple miles away) atleast that’s what I was told,I picked mine up there also.

Confirmed with the detailer they were already like this when he worked on the car. He had the wheels off for Ceramic Pro coating on wheels and calipers. I trust him, I'm a repeat customer, he has a good reputation, and he does a really good job.

Any advice on how to contact Tesla? Should I freak out on Twitter? (kidding) I don't think it's useful to call via phone because they won't have the photos. I sent a message by the "Request Help" link just to start but if you have other advice, please let me know. Thanks!

Reactions: Nine2Five
Confirmed with the detailer they were already like this when he worked on the car. He had the wheels off for Ceramic Pro coating on wheels and calipers. I trust him, I'm a repeat customer, he has a good reputation, and he does a really good job.

Any advice on how to contact Tesla? Should I freak out on Twitter? (kidding) I don't think it's useful to call via phone because they won't have the photos. I sent a message by the "Request Help" link just to start but if you have other advice, please let me know. Thanks!

It's the type of thing that sucks and I certainly wouldn't be happy either, hell I'd be pissed. But in reality, it's more cosmetic than anything. The good part is it's under the car, you won't even think about it. It looks like there is still plenty of meat there for jack stands as well. I'm not sure what Tesla would do about this either. I'm not sure if it's part of the unibody or battery assembly. At a minimum once your take some good pictures of it etc it's probably worth putting some paint on just so it doesn't rust.

How close are you to the delivery or service center? I think this is one of those things best experienced... in person.

Sorry man. This is lousy. The good news is it's not a structural problem, I guess. I'd probably want them to coat the "rips" in the metal at least with some kind of clearcoat or paint to stop corrosion where the metal is now exposed...

Interested in seeing how Tesla handles it. I bet they will want to provide service credit rather than fix it because that would be a big job (if they indeed take ownership). If it was really important to you to have fixed, they may even swap the car rather than fix.

BTW, I am surprised your detailer wouldn't have told you about the damage, especially considering your good relationship with him.

Last edited:
I'll throw another theory out here. Maybe it happened in the factory somehow. It's strange that all 4 points have the same damage in the same direction. I bet the cars are moved down the assembly line held in place by pegs through the jack points, perhaps there was a collision.
They gave me a funny look when I inspected the underside of the car before delivery. haha.
Anyway, the jack points will probably still work fine.