Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They gave me a funny look when I inspected the underside of the car before delivery. haha.

I didn't inspect under the car until I got home and changed clothes and there were multiple holes in the rocker panels on both sides as well as minor scrapes across the battery pack. They replaced the rocker panels and refused to take ownership of the battery case damage.

I agree..
Nobody checks out the jacking points when they buy a used car.

Ha. I assume you are joking with this one - seems like that is one of the first things a used car buyer would check!

I always look under new and used cars! It is especially important to look under new Teslas, due to the soft vulnerable underbelly, and to make sure they put everything on and didn’t scrape things up during transport!

I had a badly scraped plastic rocker trim and 2 or 3 missing bolts. Overall, not bad.

Last edited:
i.e.
upload_2019-6-13_12-51-49.png

Ha. I assume you are joking with this one - seems like that is one of the first things a used car buyer would check!

I always look under new and used cars! It is especially important to look under new Teslas, due to the soft vulnerable underbelly, and to make sure they put everything on and didn’t scrape things up during transport!

I had a badly scraped plastic rocker and 2 or 3 missing bolts. Overall, not bad.
I was just trying to be nice.. and ease the pain.
But the OP will be even more upset because of you truth tellers!
When OP sells his car down the road, the buyers may just pass after seeing how the jacking points are mangled or repaired.

I don't know how this happened (it was definitely not me, I never lifted the car until today and I'm using JackPoint jack stands).

2019 Model 3 jack points ruined :(

There's only one other person who's lifted the car, but I can't believe he wouldn't tell me if he did this. Anyway I will ask him.

Posting here to see if anyone else has experienced this; is there any remedy?

I would ask the other guy you mention if he saw this damage when he lifted the car.
I can’t imagine he would even be able to lift it, if it was like this. Certainly he would tell you there is damage once he saw it. Seems strange. ??

I don't know what happened, but whatever it was a lot of force was exerted on those points. Here's my theory: The transporter got into some kind of accident and force of the stop nearly ripped the car away from the trailer. I can't imagine someone unintentionally tightened the car down that tight.
It certainly could be the result of an accident or evasive maneuver during transport. However it could also be a truck operator that made a mistake, didn't care, or just didn't know better. Many commercial flatbeds/transport vehicles have hydraulic winches, you can twist and pull the hell out of a car if you aren't careful.

It certainly could be the result of an accident or evasive maneuver during transport. However it could also be a truck operator that made a mistake, didn't care, or just didn't know better. Many commercial flatbeds/transport vehicles have hydraulic winches, you can twist and pull the hell out of a car if you aren't careful.
I've not seen that. All the transporters I've seen in operation (admittedly only a couple) the cars were hand strapped. However, that's entirely possible.

I've not seen that. All the transporters I've seen in operation (admittedly only a couple) the cars were hand strapped. However, that's entirely possible.
Most multi car transporters likely use ratchet straps. I'm thinking of the single car flat beds.

For example, see the image of a typical flat bed below. The hydraulic winch up front is used with the cross chain to hold one side of the car, and another cross chain with is fastened to the flatbed and then hooked to the car. The winch in front is used to tighten it all up. I prefer when tires have the webbing cradle straps put over the top and are pulled down to the flatbed surface. That way there isn't any stretching or twisting of the vehicle from a careless operator. But not all do it that way.

Flat-Bed-Wrecker-Tow-Truck-Bed-124.jpg

Most multi car transporters likely use ratchet straps. I'm thinking of the single car flat beds.

For example, see the image of a typical flat bed below. The hydraulic winch up front is used with the cross chain to hold one side of the car, and another cross chain with is fastened to the flatbed and then hooked to the car. The winch in front is used to tighten it all up. I prefer when tires have the webbing cradle straps put over the top and are pulled down to the flatbed surface. That way there isn't any stretching or twisting of the vehicle from a careless operator. But not all do it that way.

Flat-Bed-Wrecker-Tow-Truck-Bed-124.jpg
Thanks for the info. If I ever get my car transported I'll be watching that winch like a hawk.

If they do use hooks and a winch, don't let them hook in the middle of control arms. Once watch to make sure once the slack is taken out of the chain and there is a little tension they stop with the winch, don't let them keep tightening it. some will, there is just no need to and it will damage your car like we see in this thread. If they insist on hooking only at nice beefy subframe points, not stamped sheet metal like the jack points.

If they do use hooks and a winch, don't let them hook in the middle of control arms. Once watch to make sure once the slack is taken out of the chain and there is a little tension they stop with the winch, don't let them keep tightening it. some will, there is just no need to and it will damage your car like we see in this thread. If they insist on hooking only at nice beefy subframe points, not stamped sheet metal like the jack points.
Shouldn't you use the tow hook to pull the car on to a flatbed? And then use straps around the tires to secure it in place?