Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what happened, but whatever it was a lot of force was exerted on those points. Here's my theory: The transporter got into some kind of accident and force of the stop nearly ripped the car away from the trailer. I can't imagine someone unintentionally tightened the car down that tight.

That definitely makes more sense.

After you tighten one down and heard the metal tearing, you wouldn’t do the other three.
If the transport stopped suddenly, they would all tear.

That definitely makes more sense.

After you tighten one down and heard the metal tearing, you wouldn’t do the other three.
If the transport stopped suddenly, they would all tear.
That’s not how most flatbeds work. There is one winch pulling on a cable from the front of the flat bed which is connected to a chain with hooks on both sides. Look at the image I posted in post 44. That would be connected to the front of the car if it was nose first The hooks connect to two points on one end of the car and is pulled from the center of the chain. On the other end (back) of the car there are hooks attached to the car with chains connected the the flatbed surface. Only the front is actively pulled. This cinches the whole car tight. If you overtighten it two front hooks are pulled forward and tear forward and the back tears rearward, which looks exactly like what happened here.

Reactions: Watts_Up
@Bigtuna00 , how old is your car and how many miles now?

Picked up June 1, has 358.09 miles.

Good eyes indeed. I thought that was just dirt but it matches the hole perfectly.

Maybe the OP wasn't the first to buy that car, it could have been rejected by someone taking Home Delivery?

That's a really good point too. I placed my order May 24 expecting a 2-3 week delivery. They contacted me around May 28 to say "a car just came off the line that matches" or some such.

I haven't had a reply from contacting Tesla via the website. I'm about an hour from the service center so indeed I may need to just go in person. Thanks all for reading.

Interested in seeing how Tesla handles it. I bet they will want to provide service credit rather than fix it because that would be a big job (if they indeed take ownership). If it was really important to you to have fixed, they may even swap the car rather than fix.

BTW, I am surprised your detailer wouldn't have told you about the damage, especially considering your good relationship with him.

Yeah I’m surprised too. When there’s damage noticed and especially if they are working in that area, they will want to mention to you first thing so you know they found it that way before they started work.

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC and rickdogg82
I checked mine today.

Early May 2019 production, 500 miles on it, was delivered/driven about 40 miles to my door straight from Fremont factory(as far as I know). When I got the car it had 49 miles on it. I did not lift it since receiving it.

According to my photos(sorry just drove through a big puddle), it seems these were used for something, must be during assembly... Also this may be aluminum, so rust shouldn’t be an issue.

Model 3 Jack Pad Points (500 miles on car)

Update so far: took the car to Santa Clara service center, they told me I needed to take it to delivery. Took it up there and the Fremont Fremont Delivery Hub Supervisor was super helpful. Showed it to the staff in the back and they agreed it looks like damage from shipping but no one was sure *why* it would have been shipped. She suspected something like maybe it was sent down to LA or some such and then back up after I ordered. They must have sorted that out because the repair has been approved under warranty. Dropping the car off Monday. Will report back on the solution.

Has anyone encountered a problem with rear view camera like this? Purple and green vertical lines showing up.

Anyone knows how to fix it? I tried soft and hard resetting the model 3 and the problem remains.

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_213450.jpg
    IMG_20190706_213450.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 238
I had this happen once, it got progressively worse over a day, a reset did not help, and it was gone overnight and never returned.

As you said, the problem disappears overnight. This is weird.

What firmware do you have? First piece of data to include. This might be fixed in 2019.20.4.3, but not conclusive.

Mine is on firmware 2019.20.4.2.

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333