Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Jack Points — location, use, damage, pads, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to arbitration hearing on the jack point damage and new battery not fully charging and Telsa alleged that I tore all 4 jack points myself and they replaced the pack as a gesture of goodwill, even though they believe I caused the damage myself, lol. I have pictures of the damage within 48 hours of taking delivery, so they are saying I took the new car home, tore all 4 jack points within 48 hrs, then asked them to fix the damage and they graciously replaced a $15k part... What is up with these guys. I provided them with other cases of this same damage occurring on other customer's newly delivered cars and they had no comment.

I would inspect your jack points for damage if I was you...

And if you do have damage... if you could PM me or post the pictures/invoice/etc. here that would be helpful so others don't continue to get accused of causing damage that happened pre-delivery...

I don't believe they will need anything special so long whatever they use is no more than 3-4 inches diameter or wide. That would sit nicely between the lift pad and the jack point. Shops usually have rubber blocks, something like a fragment of an old truck tire, to space between the lift pad and the jack points of the car. That might be an inch or so thick. Some shops have lift pads with rubber already built in. Costco has specific pucks they use. Whomever it is you trust, they must be sensible to locate the lift points and realize that it will need something to buffer, avoid steel to steel. I'd take a minute to show them to be sure and remind them that they need to be spot on. There's an opening about an inch or so round under the car, just forward of the rear wheel well and just aft of the front fender, four total, two on each side. Take a look, you'll see them.

There are many different brands of M3 jack pads available. I bought a set from Amazon, I paid $40 but now they are on sale for $17. Amazon has several versions to choose from.
Traverse Ridge Racing The Original Tesla Jack Pad | Lift Point Adapter for Model S 3 X with Bag (4-Pack) | Fast Priority Mail Shipping | Improved Design - Metal Reinforced Upper, Low Profile

Just happened to my car too, but my experience with cameras is that this might happened when they overheat, my Sentry mode is active all the time, except for home, I'm pretty sure since at home sentry mode is off the camera stops working and cools down and then no more lines like many of you have experienced. Tesla is going to come home and check it out on the 26th, I will report back what they say or if it gets fixed before that.............. I just turn it Sentry off and its raining hopefully this cools down the camera and I will test it in a few minutes and see.

Are there really no places on the front and rear subframes where the car can be lifted? I haven’t had either of the belly pans off my 3, but on every other car I’ve owned I was able to raise it somewhere other than the designated jack points. I could always find at least one other location(usually in the area where the control arms or stabilizer bar attach to the frame) to place either the jack or a jack stand if I needed the wheels off the ground to do suspension work, for example.

Anyone know which Jackpoint pads will work with Model 3 (jackpointjackstands.com)?

Pic below shows the pads that I have that work with the Model S. Not sure if I need something different for Model 3. It looks like they would probably work, but Jackpoint has a slightly different looking set for Model S / X / 3 now and I don't know if I might need those for some reason. I don't want to buy another $100 worth of pads if they are not needed.

jackpoint-pad.jpg

The telsa pads should work, but they don't fit into the recessed jack points so you have to make sure they’re correctly aligned on the frame. I had purchased some, but exchanged them for recessed version for this reason. The recessed pads with standard model 3 pucks are easier to align and you get slightly more clearance than using the tesla specific jackpoint pad.

Anyone know which Jackpoint pads will work with Model 3 (jackpointjackstands.com)?

Pic below shows the pads that I have that work with the Model S. Not sure if I need something different for Model 3. It looks like they would probably work, but Jackpoint has a slightly different looking set for Model S / X / 3 now and I don't know if I might need those for some reason. I don't want to buy another $100 worth of pads if they are not needed.

View attachment 489458

That will probably work.

Keep in mind most of the Model 3 jack pads floating around are designed to "wedge" into the hole with just enough friction that it goes in easy and stays put. That way you can pop all 4 in and leave it at your tire service station.

If your manually positioning your own jack, you could literally use a hockey puck or any kind of hard rubber spacer. Some jacks even have a rubber head which would be fine. There is nothing magic about it.

The one in your picture looks heavy and bulky for any Tesla car to stay wedged in on its own. But it would work fine just sitting on your jack and wheeled into place if that's how you've been using it on your S. The "nub" on top looks pretty small and shallow. So as long as it's not to wide or deep it should work fine used in that manner.

I used a Model 3 pad on Model X in a pinch that way. Model 3 puck would not stay in because the nub was too small but I could position the jack under it as I jacked it up.

A $100 !!! that's nuts. This $10 single puck would probably work better than what you have.

https://www.amazon.com/Spurtar-Tesla-Lifting-Adapter-Stands/dp/B081SH5TYF

You can sets of 4 for like $30.00 maybe less but make sure you see the rubber O-Ring so the stay in place.

Last edited:
That will probably work.

Keep in mind most of the Model 3 jack pads floating around are designed to "wedge" into the hole with just enough friction that it goes in easy and stays put. That way you can pop all 4 in and leave it at your tire service station.

If your manually positioning your own jack, you could literally use a hockey puck or any kind of hard rubber spacer. Some jacks even have a rubber head which would be fine. There is nothing magic about it.

The one in your picture looks heavy and bulky for any Tesla car to stay wedged in on its own. But it would work fine just sitting on your jack and wheeled into place if that's how you've been using it. The "nub" on top looks pretty small and shallow. So as long as it's not to wide or deep it should work fine used in that manner.

I use a Model 3 pad on Model X in a pinch that way. It would not stay in but I could position the jack under it as I jacked it up.

It doesn't wedge in and hang like some. It's more designed just to fit into the Jackpoint Jackstands so that you can stand the car on the same point it is jacked from. The pin helps, but I line them up manually on my S. I come from a family that religiously relies on using stands almost exclusively, with jacks for jacking only. On older cars, you could always find at least 2 points to be able to jack and stand on different points, but can't do that with a Tesla, thus the special pads and stands.

It doesn't wedge in and hang like some. It's more designed just to fit into the Jackpoint Jackstands so that you can stand the car on the same point it is jacked from. The pin helps, but I line them up manually on my S. I come from a family that religiously relies on using stands almost exclusively, with jacks for jacking only. On older cars, you could always find at least 2 points to be able to jack and stand on different points, but can't do that with a Tesla, thus the special pads and stands.

I think I see now.

I have not used stands in 30 years. I never do work under the car any more. Jacks alone are fine for swapping tires etc. Just don't put your hand under anything.

There are two points on Tesla's. Jack it up under the control arm in front and then set it down on the body jack point. Same way I'd do it on any car. And in the rear it's similar, but I made a spacer for the Model 3. Not needed on Model X, easy peasy to jack under the suspension.

But you need a Jack without a wide stance.

Some people have jacked under the control arms but I would consider that risky. I don't think there are subframes like other cars. Why not use the jack points?

I've done it that way on every car I've ever owned with no issue. And I've had a lot of cars. Model 3 and Model X work fine. But I had to make a spacer to protect a plastic cover on rear suspension on the Model 3 to prevent the cover from cracking. Also you can't use a wide stance jack (as most jacks are). You need to get very close to the wheel on a lot of cars, or you could damage things. I like it because you don't have to jack it very high, some cars need to be way up there. And I don't like twisting the body of unibody cars made of 30% glass. And they do twist and it's a very unnaturally occurring twist. If I use Jack points to work on suspension I use two jacks and do both front or both side.