Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Model 3s on the Track / drag strip- Videos, Discussion, Setup, Etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mary HIll Loops Hill Climb last weekend - I took 4th overall, 2 STOHR racecars ran 121 & 123 seconds. 2700 lb Subi ran 133.8 & I did a 135.2 (2nd Sunday run) ..sooo close!
pretty sure square 315 or the warmer afternoon would've been enough for 3rd...I even ran a 135.7 on my 5th run!!! @360V!?

IMG_4317.JPG

similar Subi to the quicker one (this one never beat me : > ..5 hills
sequential shifters sound pretty vicious!
IMG_4380.JPG

Had a solid summer track weekend at Willow Springs Raceway. It was too hot, up to 109F on Sunday, but the event organizers arranged to start early before things got out of hand.

On Saturday I ran with OnGrid in their Shootout Time Attack series and placed 3rd against some great drivers with well modified cars.

20220625_134247.jpg
20220625_130043.jpg
20220625_123127.jpg

Screenshot_20220625-152048_Instagram.jpg

On Sunday it was Vararacing.com for their Hill Climb series and set the fastest time of the day against a combination of vintage race and street cars along with modern street cars.

20220626_144127.jpg
DSC_0369.jpg
866.641.8373.jpg
20220626_110125.jpg
20220626_121819.jpg
20220626_112224.jpg

I spent a day at Carolina Motorsports Park (CMP) in SC doing an HPDE open track event. Was point to pass, but otherwise open (no run groups). I know there are several performance threads out there, but here's my take on going to a relatively isolated track.

I didn't want to drive 40+ miles each way to the closest supercharger during the event (would have been nearly three hours if I had to charge from 0-100% and return and then I'd still be down 40-50 miles). I ended up using my mobile charger in a 14-50 outlet and got about 30mi/hr range (32 amps). I think I put in about 170mi of range for entire event. I ended up getting 4 decent (15+minute) sessions. I probably could have gotten a fifth had I showed up an hour earlier. By the fourth session I was well under %50 SOC and it was pretty obvious the acceleration was way down.

I think to max out time on track I would now go out for first session and just tool around and practice braking points, turn in and carrying speed and just feather accelerator for the whole session. Get the tires scrubbed, learn track, etc. Then remaining sessions run light for the first 2 laps, give it 2-3 hard laps and then a cool down (maybe another lap or two), but just try for 2-3 HARD laps when you've got your rhythm down. I would also probably come in early if it was a 20 min session and get charging asap. I had to leave 70ish miles in the battery to safely make it back to SC and you arrive at track 50 miles range down, so the actual range/SOC window is something like 70-240 miles range window (only 130 miles to use). It is critical to get to track early (like at least and hour before everyone else) to try to top up as much as possible.
Nice work trying out CMP since it’s so isolated from any supercharger. Did you see 12kw or so from their 10-50? Next time I book a track day I’ll skip the second session, and wait for the field to thin out. Then the last two sessions of the day you almost have an open track.

Second run of the weekend, front tires only saw 1 mile+, rears had 16 hill runs on them. Cold + crowned road and too much entry speed…. o_O😅
(where my left front clipped off there is a large drop and all sorts of redwoods😳)

But I was over 2 seconds faster than last year! Subaru Ford Model A bucket beat me properly this year, he deserved it 🤷‍♂️👍

513248A0-B530-4802-A6E3-BC4D5C2893E7.png

More minor fascia adjustments, gonna need to stop hitting stuff and get some pretty parts soon.
D598B9F2-1040-4230-9075-585F65D9DB41.jpeg

Last edited:
Second run of the weekend, front tires only saw 1 mile+, rears had 16 hill runs on them. Cold + crowned road and too much entry speed…. o_O😅
(where my left front clipped off there is a large drop and all sorts of redwoods😳)

But I was over 2 seconds faster than last year! Subaru Ford Model A bucket beat me properly this year, he deserved it 🤷‍♂️👍

View attachment 832550
More minor fascia adjustments, gonna need to stop hitting stuff and get some pretty parts soon.
View attachment 832554
Still a great drive! You get a very cool perspective with that camera angle. Nice bumper mods lol!

Unplugged Performance gets me another Autocross win in the Cal Club CST Class!!!
The car was so well sorted with 18" x 10'5" wheels I was reluctant to try the 19" x 10.5" setup that I've been hearing other Unplugged Performance outfitted cars running with sucess. With 18" tire supply drying up, I decided to pull the trigger and outfit two sets of 19" wheels. One with a set of Kumho 730's and another set of 19's on Nankang CRS's. This way I could try them both side by side. WOW!!! It actually got better than the 18" setup!!! As expected, the steering response was razor sharp compared to the 18" setup. This was a huge help in the rotation department. Initiating rotation was fairly easy, just initiate the rotation and step on the pedal when pointed in the right direction. I expected less overall grip with a smaller profile tire, but I got more grip! More grip in braking, less pushing, better steering response, less air pressure and faster times!!! I felt the 19" set up allowed me to appreciate the UP suspension more than I ever had before. I let a few people test it out for their input, all were impressed! The car didn't feel as heavy. The feedback I got was fairly universal, "Don't touch it". I was fortunate enough to trade laps with a fellow competitors's C8 Corvette. The C8 has been on my dream car list since they announced it coming out. It was amazing! Better in every way than the C7. But get this, all three drivers that drove the C8 & my UP Tesla back to back were faster in my UP Tesla. Don't get me wrong, the C8 is flat out amazing and if I had more talant, I'm sure I could have gone faster and I still want one, but for all drivers to be faster in the UP Tesla definetly speaks volumes about what Ben Schaffer and Avi Fischer at Unplugged Performance have done to a 4,000+ lbs four door sedan that I can drive in the carpool lane. If you want to get your Tesla sorted to win, call UP and tell them!!!
1663643702368.png

https://youtu.be/gcNg_6LEd3o
1st place in class & overall fast time of day at the Sept 11th SCCA event. Driving a Tesla Model 3 courtesy of Mike Parsons built by himself & unplugged performance (Ben Schaffer & Avi Fischer). Felt good to win by a fairly large margin (almost 1/2 a second).
This Model 3 may be the most intuitive race car I have ever driven. It's so easy to jump in with no practice and be right on the limit. Turn in feels like its a mid engine supercar, transitions & chicanes feel effortless with the low center of gravity, sweepers feel like a predictable front engine car, and corner exit feels like a rear engine Porsche. It's almost like it has the best attributes of all types of race cars in one.
Tesla Model 3 - SCCA 9/11/22 Top time of day (& XS class win) - 63.284

YOUTUBE.COM

Reactions: DerbyCityY