Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I turned on sentry mode a couple days ago in my new model 3, but the screen does not show the sentry mode animation when I leave and I have not had any events recorded. Basically it seems like it’s not on even though it is. How should I trouble shoot this?

I turned on sentry mode a couple days ago in my new model 3, but the screen does not show the sentry mode animation when I leave and I have not had any events recorded. Basically it seems like it’s not on even though it is. How should I trouble shoot this?
I think the sentry mode screen only shows when there is a potential threat, like standing too close. That will not activate if you have your key/phone on you.

any advantage to using such high capacity drives? How much space do saved clips take up? Few mb?
The bit rate is about 5Mbps (0.625 MB/s). Each one minute clip is about 38MB. There are 4 cameras. So when you do a Save Clip (which moves 10 minutes of footage to that folder), that is 38MB * 4 * 10 = 1520 MB each time.

With Sentry mode it will keep doing that for every event and can fill up the drive fairly quickly especially if you don't clean it up every week. Tesla does do its own cleanup, but that leaves you less buffer in case you want to recover beyond the 1 hour loop (with a file recovery program).

The bit rate is about 5Mbps (0.625 MB/s). Each one minute clip is about 38MB. There are 4 cameras. So when you do a Save Clip (which moves 10 minutes of footage to that folder), that is 38MB * 4 * 10 = 1520 MB each time.

With Sentry mode it will keep doing that for every event and can fill up the drive fairly quickly especially if you don't clean it up every week. Tesla does do its own cleanup, but that leaves you less buffer in case you want to recover beyond the 1 hour loop (with a file recovery program).
Good info thanks! I have a spare SSD I’ll have to get an enclosure for

I have been using an SLC for 4 years without a single issue. It's specifically an EVTRAN 32GB SLC USB 2.0 flash drive. (The USB 3 ones are pSLC)

I am getting warnings that it's too small though =/. Fortunately they moved it so it's only in the logs and you don't see the alert anymore.

I am strugling to make Micro SD + Card reader to work.

This is what I bought

1676617525489.png
1676617546590.png

When I connect it to the car it does not give the option to format. Then I did it on the computer (tried both ExFAT and FAT32). TeslaCam folder is created correctly.

After formatting on the computer tesla allowed me to "delete all videos" but still does not allow me to format it.

If I manually save a video pressing the dashcam icon it get saved in the microSD, however sentry mode is not saving anything. Often I come back to the car, I see notification of 1 or 2 sentry events but when I go to the video list it is empty. This have happened 5-7 times during this last week. I don't get any error message, it just does not get saved. I tried to intentionally trigger sentry by turning off Bluetooth on my phone and I see that the screen pups up showing sentry is on, but again when I check on the memory there is nothing saved.

Any advice on what is the issue and how to fix it?

I intent to use it for sentry only, not any music or other things

Sentry does not save things. Dashcam does.

Do you have dashcam on (red icon for dashcam, NOT sentry)? If so do you have an hour of recordings in the recents folder?

The only thing sentry does regarding video is, when triggered, move the last 10 minutes of dashcams recent footage over to the sentry folder (if the footage exists).

Sentry does not save things. Dashcam does.

Do you have dashcam on (red icon for dashcam, NOT sentry)? If so do you have an hour of recordings in the recents folder?

The only thing sentry does regarding video is, when triggered, move the last 10 minutes of dashcams recent footage over to the sentry folder (if the footage exists).
I don't have 1h footage, I have only the ones that I manually saved by pressing the dash am icon.

I don't have 1h footage, I have only the ones that I manually saved by pressing the dash am icon.

What folders do you on the media?

Because those saved clips only can exist if it's recording the 1 hour buffer.

Because hitting save just moves the previous 10 minutes already recorded to the saved folder.

(Note- you'll want to check this after the car has been awake for a while.... if it just woke up and all the recent non-saved footage was more than an hour old anyway that might be why you don't see it)

Reactions: BSparx
What folders do you on the media?

Because those saved clips only can exist if it's recording the 1 hour buffer.

Because hitting save just moves the previous 10 minutes already recorded to the saved folder.

(Note- you'll want to check this after the car has been awake for a while.... if it just woke up and all the recent non-saved footage was more than an hour old anyway that might be why you don't see it)
I changed the card reader for one from SanDisk. It is tiny so I am not sure about heating dissipation, but now it is working and tesla was able to format it directly from the screen.

I went through 4 different USB drives until this Samsung;

It looks remarkably like the one from Tesla. It has an unusually heavy metal feel to it in your hand. So far since putting it in, it was worked perfectly.
Strangely, I bought two of the 128 gb version of that drive and they didn't work for me. Eventually I got Samsung T5 SSDs and they worked. Then I got a new car that came with the Tesla branded Samsung stick and it is working.