Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems there was only a brief period of VINs where people had reported the new camera housing (the one with the concentric rings around the lens). I haven't seen any recent reports of the new housing. I don't think the actual cameras ever changed during all of this. The housing on M3 changed to the concentric rings back in early September and I think they were just digging in the parts bin for a few weeks worth of MY production.

It does seem like Matrix are much more regular now. Although not out of Austin (not sure if any have been seen out of Austin). Again it is probably Tesla just digging parts out of the MYP bins to keep the lines going when they are short on non-matrix. I still don't see a perfect trend of Matrix on all MYLR yet.

Reactions: andrewynn
my vin is PF616 and no matrix lights. I guess I will be surprised if I have the new camera housings..
How do you know it doesn’t have matrix headlights? From your post, it sounds like you haven’t seen the car yet. The only reason the MYLR received the matrix headlights was due to a supply chain issue at Fremont. It was publicized that it was only a temporary solution. If you’re saying you have the old headlights, I guess they got the old ones back in inventory. All MYP get matrix as standard equipment though. I think all cars going forward have the new camera housing, so don’t be surprised. 😉

How do you know it doesn’t have matrix headlights? From your post, it sounds like you haven’t seen the car yet. The only reason the MYLR received the matrix headlights was due to a supply chain issue at Fremont. It was publicized that it was only a temporary solution. If you’re saying you have the old headlights, I guess they got the old ones back in inventory. All MYP get matrix as standard equipment though. I think all cars going forward have the new camera housing, so don’t be surprised. 😉
I asked the advisor and they checked based on the vin number. The other vin I was assigned was 626 and it had matrix according to the advisor but it was arriving in January. I had it released and got an inventory car at another location 616 and they said it did not.. oh well.

MYLR went back to standard lights for a short time in October (when my car was built) after those few months where they were all Matrix (Aug-Oct?).
Shortly after (maybe late Oct or early Nov) MYLR were showing up with Matrix again but very hit or miss. In the last few weeks more and more cars have Matrix again. Still all out of Fremont and not Austin.

Almost no reports of the new camera housings anymore. I keep seeing reports of old cameras on all the recent VINs. In fact very few MY had the new housing. M3 had the new housing consistently since early Sep but I haven't kept up with the M3 forums to see if that has continued.

MYLR7 picked up on 12/23 PF6319 with matrix (assuming light show spells Tesla).
You can identify matrix headlights by the circular lens on the outboard sides. No need to fire up the light show just for matrix verification.

1672073166375.jpeg

Reactions: RJAZ and andrewynn
None at all, just guessing since there's no evidence that these updates improved anything
You might want to do a bit more looking around. There is a lot of evidence that the headlights are better. Cameras are significantly higher MP, so it would be near impossible for them to not be better.

Your comment seems like a weird off the cuff conspiracy theory that isn’t very helpful.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
You might want to do a bit more looking around. There is a lot of evidence that the headlights are better. Cameras are significantly higher MP, so it would be near impossible for them to not be better.

Your comment seems like a weird off the cuff conspiracy theory that isn’t very helpful.
I have yet to see any articles/videos showing any improvements to the cameras or confirmation that these are higher MP, do you have any that I can read/watch? Another option like others have mentioned, it could be just a change on the camera housing and same old cameras.

I have matrix lights on my MY, but I don’t think Tesla has actually put them to full use(no adaptive dimming) people have been asking for a while :)

I have yet to see any articles/videos showing any improvements to the cameras or confirmation that these are higher MP, do you have any that I can read/watch? Another option like others have mentioned, it could be just a change on the camera housing and same old cameras.

I have matrix lights on my MY, but I don’t think Tesla has actually put them to full use(no adaptive dimming) people have been asking for a while :)
Doesn’t seem new cameras are out yet, just info about the deal with Samsung to provide better cameras in the near future.

Matrix headlights have more capabilities for sure but they are improvement over the old lights even without.

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen