Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

the IIHS review states "acceptable" for MYLR headlights vs "good" for MYP headlights.
reading the text, both provided good results on curves and the matrix only improved on glare ratings.
it's your call but I don't think headlights are reason enough
Acceptable = Marginal. Only other rating is poor. If you are driving 80 mph (speed limit on Wyoming) in dark and rainy conditions, Teslas normal headlights are unacceptable in a car of this caliber. They have improved relative to the initial ones on my Model S which were atrocious but they are still bad. Even lowly Subaru has modern headlights let alone our BMW x5 plug in which have amazing headlights. I don’t know if tesla is trying to just save a few bucks on parts or trying to get buyers to upgrade to performance but I will wait or go elsewhere for an EV. headlights are too important to skimp on given the driving I do.

Reactions: TriniB
Acceptable = Marginal. Only other rating is poor. If you are driving 80 mph (speed limit on Wyoming) in dark and rainy conditions, Teslas normal headlights are unacceptable in a car of this caliber. They have improved relative to the initial ones on my Model S which were atrocious but they are still bad. Even lowly Subaru has modern headlights let alone our BMW x5 plug in which have amazing headlights. I don’t know if tesla is trying to just save a few bucks on parts or trying to get buyers to upgrade to performance but I will wait or go elsewhere for an EV. headlights are too important to skimp on given the driving I do.
there are standards that headlights must meet to be allowed for sale on vehicles.
invent what excuse you wish.

there are standards that headlights must meet to be allowed for sale on vehicles.
invent what excuse you wish.
Quoting from consumer reports review of model y LR:” the low beams lack sufficient forward light in the right travel lane to allow a driver sufficient time to see, react and brake for anything ahead except when driving at slow speeds. “ what excuse am I inventing?

So far I've found the non-matrix lights to be very wide, very bright and really good. They don't turn with corners like my past CX-5 and 335i but whatever.
From what I've read the matrix ones are less bright but maybe that isn't true?
Check out the link in post #81 to the iihs website. It shows the difference in the headlights between the matrix/non matrix … and not just teslas. They test all cars.

You can even see how it’s changed over the years

The ones in Canada are all coming with the matrix lights per the electricman YouTube channel. Not sure why the MYLR in the United States isn't receiving the same treatment.

With that said, the matrix lights are a huge upgrade. My wife has a 2021 MYP with the matrix lights recently, they had to replace her battery pack and gave us a 2022 MYLR as a loaner. The matrix lights have a much better low beam spread and distance.

The ones in Canada are all coming with the matrix lights per the electricman YouTube channel. Not sure why the MYLR in the United States isn't receiving the same treatment.

With that said, the matrix lights are a huge upgrade. My wife has a 2021 MYP with the matrix lights recently, they had to replace her battery pack and gave us a 2022 MYLR as a loaner. The matrix lights have a much better low beam spread and distanc

Acceptable and marginal are not the same rating. The P was rated “good” (the best rating) and the LR was rated as “acceptable” (second best rating). Marginal and poor are the two lower ratings. - IIHS headlight ratings
there are many justifications for emotional decisions.

VIN: PF594
Year: 2023
Matrix: Yes
USS: No
Parcel Shelf: No
Comfort Suspension: Maybe? So far I like the ride but haven't figured out how to confirm if it has new suspension.

(haven't seen anyone note a 7 seater with the cargo cover yet? Ordered a retractable one on Amazon that I think I like better than the hard Tesla one I've seen on the forum, so not too bummed about that though (easier to store out of the way when using the 3rd row seats), other than the initial disgust that for a car this expensive, I still had to pay extra for a cargo cover, mobile connector, and need to order parts for USB data in center console.)
Jack a side or corner up and look at the part number stickers on the damper. It goes XXXX-A. The last digit is the revision and it's -F for LR and -E for MYP.

Model Y LR, 7 seater with VIN: F559. Delivered end of September 2022. I got Matrix headlights, but no USS, no Cargo cover. I am not sure about the comfort suspension.
My take on the matrix headlight: It probably is better than the regular ones, or Tesla has plans for it in the future. Otherwise why would it add a complication and additional cost by making it standard on the Performance. I am just saying it, because I worked as OM in a factory before. Adding additional options to a production line makes for higher probability of errors and also higher Overhead.

Reactions: t-mo
My original MYLR ordered in Oct was assigned a VIN Nov 27: Fremont build; No USS; Reflector Headlights (not matrix); Comfort Suspension.

At the Tesla store Nov 30 I noticed a new MYLR being delivered: No USS, Reflector Headlights.