Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights on LR Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it still true based on one of the post above if I order a 7 seater I will get Matrix HL ? I am in FL and was planning to buy a 7 seater.

Based on everything I have seen, it has nothing to do with whether it is a 7-seat or 5-seat*. Many, if not all MYs from Fremont are Matrix--since some point in 2022 with some exceptions. No MYs coming out of Austin have Matrix. Stranger still, people in California get vehicles from Austin while those in FL and other farther-than-Texas states are getting cars from Fremont.

*I do not know if Austin builds 7-seaters. I would think that they do. That being the case, hope for yours come from Fremont if you want Matrix.

Based on everything I have seen, it has nothing to do with whether it is a 7-seat or 5-seat*. Many, if not all MYs from Fremont are Matrix--since some point in 2022 with some exceptions. No MYs coming out of Austin have Matrix. Stranger still, people in California get vehicles from Austin while those in FL and other farther-than-Texas states are getting cars from Fremont.

*I do not know if Austin builds 7-seaters. I would think that they do. That being the case, hope for yours come from Fremont if you want Matrix.
I don't think Austin builds 7-seaters. Austin builds 5-seater LR and 5-seater standard range models.

I thought people were unhappy with the Matrix beam pattern compared to regular headlights? Here in the good ol US of A our laws are archaic and there's no advantage to Matrix
Your understanding of US regulations is dated (adaptive headlights have been permitted since Feb of last year): Federal Register :: Request Access

Your understanding of US regulations is dated (adaptive headlights have been permitted since Feb of last year): Federal Register :: Request Access
Matrix lights are technically legal in the US, however the NHTSA has not released the standards that would allow manufacturers to actually be approved and enable their matrix/adaptive lighting systems.

If you'd like to learn more, here is a great primer: Adaptive 'high-definition' headlights are just around the corner for American drivers | Engadget

Reactions: Magnus0322
What is the point of Tesla adding matrix headlights? It works like regular fix headlights, and no announce plan for future software updates.

Not a comprehensive list--many are personal preferences:

1) It's fun to do, you know, all that work taking off the bumper and finding a way to program the lights. :-/ /s
2) There is IHSS data that suggests that the matrix as is performs better than the "Premium" headlights.
3) Matrix has cleaner beams and sharper beam cutoff, looks better to my eyes.
4) I like the cyclops look to the headlights.
5) IF and when features are released, the headlights are there to take advantage.
6) Cool "TESLA" lightshow.
7) Did I say it's fun? It's a challenge to get it done. Many of us are tinkerers, modders, and like to upgrade our cars. It's yet another one.
8) Matrix is understood as an upgrade to Premium. In our enthusiast culture, if there is something better, or believed to be better, we want it.

Feel free to add to this list o_O:cool:

Reactions: gflar
Just received the VIN for my Model Y Long Range MSM/Black 3row. It’s PF835xxx. What are the chances it’ll have the matrix lights? I visited a sales center today and all the long ranges, whether Austin or Fremont built, had the matrix lamps. They were roughly in the VIN 84xxxx-85xxxx range. Really hoping for the matrix lamps just because I prefer the look of those compared to the reflectors on my 2018 Model 3. I received a significant price adjustment on my order and I’m availing the FSD transfer. Unsure if I should defer delivery if it doesn’t have matrix lamps and hope I can get one with them before the end of the quarter. Thoughts?

Just received the VIN for my Model Y Long Range MSM/Black 3row. It’s PF835xxx. What are the chances it’ll have the matrix lights? I visited a sales center today and all the long ranges, whether Austin or Fremont built, had the matrix lamps. They were roughly in the VIN 84xxxx-85xxxx range. Really hoping for the matrix lamps just because I prefer the look of those compared to the reflectors on my 2018 Model 3. I received a significant price adjustment on my order and I’m availing the FSD transfer. Unsure if I should defer delivery if it doesn’t have matrix lamps and hope I can get one with them before the end of the quarter. Thoughts?
99.99% chance you have matrix. They switched over awhile back.

Unless someone on the assembly line found a old pair of lights lying around and decided to install them on your car…

• Disagree
Reactions: hmadsen
99.99% chance you have matrix. They switched over awhile back.

Unless someone on the assembly line found a old pair of lights lying around and decided to install them on your car…
Tesla logic.

Put matrix headlamps on all produced cars.

Don't make the software needed to enable these in markets where it would be legal to do so.

Dear Tesla....Why are you like that sometimes :)

Are you certain there were Austin builds with Matrix lights? That would be the first I've heard of it. Although I haven't been following the forum that closely the past couple weeks so maybe I missed that Austin started shipping Matrix.

Regardless a Fremont car will have them with 99.9% certainty.

Are you certain there were Austin builds with Matrix lights? That would be the first I've heard of it. Although I haven't been following the forum that closely the past couple weeks so maybe I missed that Austin started shipping Matrix.

Regardless a Fremont car will have them with 99.9% certainty.

I was surprised as well. These were cars that had owners names on them for delivery. I doubled checked the vin on the temp license plate and the temp registration on the windshield. Wish I had taken some photos, but seems sketchy for vehicles that are sold.

Really hoping for matrix. I truly wanted to get a MYP but wifey is adamant on the 7seater. My SA confirmed it’s HW4 which makes sense with the July ‘23 build date and VIN in the 835xxx, but he said it was non-matrix but also the car isn’t at his sales center so I dunno. If it doesn’t have matrix, I’ll probably deny the VIN and wait it out. I did get an over $3k price adjustment, but honestly I’d pay MSRP for getting one with the matrix, plus I wouldn’t mind ordering it with a hitch for my bikes!

Really hoping for matrix. I truly wanted to get a MYP but wifey is adamant on the 7seater. My SA confirmed it’s HW4 which makes sense with the July ‘23 build date and VIN in the 835xxx, but he said it was non-matrix but also the car isn’t at his sales center so I dunno. If it doesn’t have matrix, I’ll probably deny the VIN and wait it out. I did get an over $3k price adjustment, but honestly I’d pay MSRP for getting one with the matrix, plus I wouldn’t mind ordering it with a hitch for my bikes!
I took my 7 seater delivery on June 27 and one of my friends took his a few months before , all have matrix. If you really want to confirm check in the reddit vin thread .