Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently a Model S 100D owner who tool delivery June 2017. If Tesla refuse to upgrade for a reasonable cost, then it is very clear indication why someone should never buy and own a vehicle. There should be a way to upgrade pieces of a tech product without throwing away the entire thing. This is another straw for on-demand / rent / pay as you go.

Fingers crossed that they will allow an upgrade, and not charge and arm and leg for it.
You got exactly what you thought you were getting when you bought the car. Why would you throw it away? If you buy a Tesla expecting it to be the top of the line forever, then you didn't do your research. Tesla makes changes all the time. Their policy is that if you were satisfied with what you got when you bought it, you should stay satisfied.

-Jim

That's not correct. @verygreen said that APE has its own maps, independent from what you see on the MCU.

I'd like to see the details, technically, it doesn't make sense to have redundant system. AP is mostly about pattern recognition and input/output meta data about the environment, if it needs to link the meta data to the GPS data, it should be the same data feeds MCU system.
Also we have to ask the question that why Tesla want to reinvent the wheel to make their own map system? It for sure will be far behind Google map at beginning. The answer is that the Tesla map is required for supporting autonomous driving.

The next riddle is the timing. In order to change the CPU architecture, Tesla have to spend a lot of software development resource into the firmware, that's why the new MCU is running 2018.6.50. We know the reason Model 3 MCU was lacking a lot of features because the same reason. Unless there is good enough reason, why Tesla doing MCU upgrade now (means the investment was planned long ahead), instead of spending their efforts on quickly finishing the MCU firmware on Model 3.

We need more info on the connectors on the backside of MCU2!

They have been changed before:

mcu1(0).jpg

mcu1(1).jpg

I've got bad news from my local SC near Toronto Canada.

We received notice from head office that there is no plans to replace any touchscreens with the new components that recently entered production. If your vehicle needs any service on the touchscreen (inside warranty or out), your touchscreen will be replaced with the original compatible hardware that it was delivered it.

That is disappointing as I would hope there would at least be a paid upgrade option. I have asked them whether it is possible to purchase that new MCU independent of any service work.

I hope Tesla changes their position on this.

I've got bad news from my local SC near Toronto Canada.

We received notice from head office that there is no plans to replace any touchscreens with the new components that recently entered production. If your vehicle needs any service on the touchscreen (inside warranty or out), your touchscreen will be replaced with the original compatible hardware that it was delivered it.

That is disappointing as I would hope there would at least be a paid upgrade option. I have asked them whether it is possible to purchase that new MCU independent of any service work.

I hope Tesla changes their position on this.

Absolute gut punch. Can we tweetstorm Elon and get this addressed

Your car just lost several thousand dollars overnight. As did the entirety of Tesla's CPO fleet.
I disagree because the user base here, on TMC, is a minority - the vast majority of Tesla owners have no clue and no interest as even with the old MCU, the car is great! Ghosting - what ghosting? Dont charge to 100% all the time - why? Slow MCU - what's MCU?