Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. I think they released MCU1 in 2013, and it has become obsolete and replaced by MCU2 as is the normal progression of technology. From any other vehicle manufacturer, that would be the end of it. Want a newer system? Buy a newer car. How many times have BMW and the like offered a factory-built upgrade to an infotainment system? None that I can think of, ever.

But Tesla is giving you an upgrade path via the MCU2 conversion, with the understanding that MCU2 comes with additional connectivity options - and if you want them, it requires a paid subscription plan.

So, the options will be:
1) Keep MCU1, keep your free premium because your functionality/connectivity are limited.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, stick with basic connectivity for free, enjoy faster interface only.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, pay $9.99/mo for the premium connectivity, and enjoy faster interface as well.

They haven't created some magic loophole here. Nor did they sit there in 2013 and scheme about how they could trick MCU1 owners into paying 10 bucks per month 7 years down the road. If you just want faster interface, $2500 and done. If you also want want premium data features, you gotta pay for premium data.

I'm sure they'll clarify the option of the premium subscription plan in the fine print.
Keep in mind it's not that simple. Existing MCUv1 is a ticking time bomb, every single one. Imagine if your BMW radio or IC stopped working at the 4 year mark?

Reactions: Utahken
giphy.gif

root.

My Feb 28 2018 MS build is already at 1451 erases out of 3000 rated erases on my emmc. So I'm at least half way there to a dead emmc....on a 2018...that just turned 2.

it's a time bomb.

So the 3000 writes is probably a guaranteed number of write cycles when the part experiences the worst case conditions. Is that what that number is?

So we are truly exceeding by a lot the number of cycles that the part can count on. Yikes. Definitely living on borrowed time.

The firm I would use would of course seek compensation that included all court and (their) legal costs, "pain and suffering", etc. I would expect that the first letter would resolve the issue but who knows. Would have to cross that bridge if we got to it. Been down this road with other companies. Good documentation and bad publicity for a trivial issue is a great motivator to (sometimes) get an apology and restore 'promised' services or material assets...

Right. "Pain and suffering" for not having "Premium Connectivity"?? #firstworldproblems.

Second, the only way you'd get court and legal cost is if you actually go to court and get a judgement, which is never going to happen over a $120/year fee. Third, just getting your "firm" to write that letter is going to cost you A LOT more than PC will cost. So stop the legal pomp and circumstance and just pay for PC if you have to. Taking a legal action for this just makes you look like a entitled, over-privileged, rich dude. Get over yourself.

Last edited:
So, the options will be:
1) Keep MCU1, keep your free premium because your functionality/connectivity are limited.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, stick with basic connectivity for free, enjoy faster interface only.
2) Upgrade to MCU2, pay $9.99/mo for the premium connectivity, and enjoy faster interface as well.

How many times can you be wrong in this thread? You should just stop posting. First with the MCU2 retrofit, now this? PC is for the life of the car. If you get an MCU2 retrofit in an MCU1 car with PC, you're still going to have it. End of story.

Buy a newer car. How many times have BMW and the like offered a factory-built upgrade to an infotainment system? None that I can think of, ever.

PLENTY OF TIMES.. especially with BMW that provided THREE, count them THREE upgrades to their E39 in-dash navigation and entertainment systems (MK1 through MK4), as well upgrading the screen from 4:3 to 16:9.

1994-2010 BMW Navigation System Upgrades: (Computer, Display, Software, Maps) | BMW E39Source

upload_2020-3-5_11-43-59.png

My Feb 28 2018 MS build is already at 1451 erases out of 3000 rated erases on my emmc. So I'm at least half way there to a dead emmc....on a 2018...that just turned 2.

it's a time bomb.

I was told that Tesla actually uses the number 2800 internally as a threshhold for max write cycles.

Edit: And it looks like I'm wrong on that. The CID info posted is pretty clear.

Last edited:
So the 3000 writes is probably a guaranteed number of write cycles when the part experiences the worst case conditions. Is that what that number is?

So we are truly exceeding by a lot the number of cycles that the part can count on. Yikes. Definitely living on borrowed time.

I've heard 3000-5000 is what similar chip life is expected to be. Obviously an automotive application would be harder on a component.

Reactions: Utahken
Have you monitored it ongoing to understand the rate of change (approximate)?
Has it changed since the below situation happened? (elon's response)
eLDIzpK.jpg

It doesn't really matter if they curtailed logging (which they did as I understood). But the damage has already been done since you can't reverse the wear. I've heard that those who stream audio more, have higher write cycle numbers. Don't know if that's true, however, some of the owners I've spoken with have mentioned streaming habits and those who stream more have had failures sooner than those who use USB primarily. I will admit it's a small sample size, ~N=20.

How many times can you be wrong in this thread? You should just stop posting. First with the MCU2 retrofit, now this? PC is for the life of the car. If you get an MCU2 retrofit in an MCU1 car with PC, you're still going to have it. End of story.

PLENTY OF TIMES.. especially with BMW that provided THREE, count them THREE upgrades to their E39 in-dash navigation and entertainment systems (MK1 through MK4), as well upgrading the screen from 4:3 to 16:9.

1994-2010 BMW Navigation System Upgrades: (Computer, Display, Software, Maps) | BMW E39Source

View attachment 518250

The idea that a computer can be upgraded within a car by the manufacturer is *stunning* to most BMW owners.

Among E90 owners, the lack of upgrade ability of the E90 system is legendary. When I bought my 2011 E90, they offered “BMW apps” as an option so you could play music apps on your screen (I wanted Mog integration back when that was a streaming service and they had it). They required an iPhone specific cradle to work. I bought that garbage. I’m pretty sure it cost around $1,000. They came out with maybe one more iPhone cradle since, of course, each new phone required a new cradle before they abandoned the whole thing. We also have an E60, but just how anybody could ever upgrade that is beyond me.

I guess there was one more “upgrade.” Since 3G was discontinued a few years ago, they would either upgrade my service to 4G or offer me $100 or something, so I took the money and walked away. By then my hate for BMW was massive, but that has more to do with the shoddy build quality and evil service writers than anything else. I was even told, point blank, by a BMW sales rep that I should lease rather than buy because the cars don’t last past the end of the warranty.

I've confirmed that in 2020.8.x firmwares, there's a new car configuration line that enables/disables the new tuner for mcu2. That's how tesla is going to manage retrofits - so it won't be as easy as just wiring the new tuner and expecting it to work with mcu2 - you'll also need a way to change the car configuration on the gateway to change the configuration to enable tuner. BTW - it's counterintuitive, but, this is how Tesla is DISABLING the tuner:

Tesla will add "ethernettunertype 1" to the car's configuration and to revert you need to change it to "0", or just delete the line.

I know, strange that disabling it is "1", and enabling the tuner is "0", but that's what it is.