Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 - Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think that will happen. The junior exec reading these probably has a canned response for the deluge of MCU inquiries.

At the very least, it tells them the level of interest in a solution for the existing S owners that suffered through a sluggish MCU to support the company. This support enabled R&D for future owners, while now old owners risk being shut out of future updates due to an outdated platform.

Fair enough. It's interesting how getting OTA updates were the exception and now it's an expectation dare I say... entitlement.

I find it hard to believe Tesla will leave the very people that helped make the Model 3 possible out in the cold. That day may eventually come but I don't think it will be soon.

EDIT: Grammar are hard

Hi Guys,

If retrofit is not 'today' an option (maybe it will be in the future) I was looking for Tegra3 specs and look below what I have found.

So it seems current MCU is far from beeing optimized to efficiently use the Tegra3, I don't recognize Tegra3 power at all in current UI, navigation could be far smoother with current MCU according to what the Tegra3 is capable of.

Tesla should hire a video game developper to revamp the 'old/current' UI running on MCU1, I thought they did...

Reactions: Guy V and Amit519
Fair enough. It's interesting how getting OTA updates were the exception and now it's an expectation dare I say... entitlement.

I find it hard to believe Tesla will leave the very people that helped make the Model 3 possible out in the cold. That day may eventually come but I don't think it will be soon.

EDIT: Grammar are hard

Need to nip this perpetual cycle of victimhood in the bud. "Leaving people in the cold" sounds ridiculous.

How much better is your 100D compared to the P90 or 90D?
How did an X founder feel like when I was able to get a 60D, non-PUP Model X with AP2? (Thank you for taking the risk and dealing with all the first run production challenges, especially FWD newness)
How does a Roadster owner feel about the kind of Tesla they could get today for the same amount of money?
-This could literally go on FOREVER

Any Tesla owner is assured getting the full $7500 Tax credit on the Model 3 if they are willing to take one now or in the near future. The same cannot be guaranteed for any other reservationist. They also get the prestige and VIP feeling of being top jones in the neighborhood for as long as that last. That is a decent bonus in my opinion.

Tesla should hire a video game developper to revamp the 'old/current' UI running on MCU1, I thought they did...

Come one, do you really expect that to happen? When has that happened last time to any non Tesla? I can tell you I have several Toyota's oldest being a Land cruiser from 2001. The Navigation system was crap the day it came out and never improved. I would pay 1000-2000$ to get something actually usable and I know I'm not alone out there. There are a few million Land cruisers out there so there would be sufficient demand.

And you expect Tesla to shell out half to a million $ just so you get an update for something you paid for several years ago. Don't you find that unreasonable yourself?

• Love
Reactions: viper2ko
I don't think that will happen. The junior exec reading these probably has a canned response for the deluge of MCU inquiries.

At the very least, it tells them the level of interest in a solution for the existing S owners that suffered through a sluggish MCU to support the company. This support enabled R&D for future owners, while now old owners risk being shut out of future updates due to an outdated platform.
Exactly, I already confirmed they're copying and pasting the same email.

Tesla has a long history of offering upgrades to their cars. From AP GPUs upgrade promises, to LTE, to uncorking, to HEPA, to tow hitch, to dual charger, to carbon fiber spoiler, to windshield replacement, instrument cluster replacement, Ludicrous, and 75 kWh OTA battery pack upgrade.

Many people, myself included, bought cars with the expectation that paid upgrade options would continue, especially for something as old and obviously obsolete as the MCU and screen. It's not 2011 anymore, and the MCU really defines the user experience. Others might find that funny.
I think you missed the point.

I wouldn’t mind a little extra speed but honestly unless they fix the media player what’s the point, I still have to spend extra time fiddling with it. Proper functioning and voice commands would make a slow screen less of an issue.

That is a completely false statement. There are all kinds of comments and threads on TMC about the old Tegra-based MCU and its slow response to user input and map drawing/panning.

This is completely disingenuous reply. Obviously there are always complaints about anything and everything for all aspects Tesla.

Volume of complaints, veracity of complaints, and emotional based complaints are up.

Getting back to what matters there’s only one appeal that makes sense:

Ask Tesla to throw resources at optimizing the code on the over 100,000 Tesla’s in the field to give those people a better experience.

Making 100,000 replacements is an obvious no go path.

Though perhaps they have done this anyway and would rationally conincide with the new mapping system. Undoubtedly, they will have to do more with less for increasingly complex software.

This is completely disingenuous reply. Obviously there are always complaints about anything and everything for all aspects Tesla.
It was a completely genuine reply and I do not appreciate the personal slight, nor making judgements about someone's intent. The complaints to which I referred predate the release of the new MCU. I personally intended to delay my own order of my Model S for the very reason of the slow MCU, intending to await an MCU update. It was only the threat of losing the federal tax credit due to the proposed tax bill announced at the beginning of November that forced my hand. Now I regret not having waited.

Reactions: Amit519 and kodek
When I visited my service center yesterday, I discussed the MCU upgrade with the service advisor. His best advice was to submit an email to Tesla to request an upgrade option, and that, if enough people do it, it will influence Tesla. There is a form for this at the bottom of this page. I think that we should deluge them with this request.

One can ask and maybe it’s something they can grant. Maybe mass ordering this part is easy and a tesla ranger on the road can do 8 of these swaps per day and we can do it not too expensively.

I’m all about finding out what can be done as was glad to get my MX uncorked.

Let’s see how this works as you got a political answer. Kick the can up to corporate is the easiest way to get the local SC off your back.

Making 100,000 replacements is an obvious no go path
Why is replacing 100k screens so hard? Especially when customers are willing to pay for the cost? Even if we don’t count maintenance like swapping brake rotors and such, it is not rare for car manufactures to do recalls covering that volume. My Honda Odassey has to have their rear seats rails replaced, and I am pretty sure there are more Honda Odassey than Model S/X out there. It doesn’t have to happen all at once, perhaps over the next year as cars come in for service for other reasons.

I heard that there are about 2000 tesla for every sc, assuming only 25% owners have eligible vehicles and want to do this for the whatever cost, then each sc would only have to do 2 upgrades a day to get through the entire fleet in a year.

• Disagree
Reactions: MXWing
It was a completely genuine reply and I do not appreciate the personal slight, nor making judgements about someone's intent. The complaints to which I referred predate the release of the new MCU. I personally intended to delay my own order of my Model S for the very reason of the slow MCU, intending to await an MCU update. It was only the threat of losing the federal tax credit due to the proposed tax bill announced at the beginning of November that forced my hand. Now I regret not having waited.

MCU worth 7500? Watch the HUD come right after people order the car to grab the MCU. Tesla didn’t even roll this thing into an AP3 type package, facelift package or interior refresh.

You will always regret something and I think the MCU you will find as one you shouldn’t have been regretting about.

It's not a plug-and-play swappable part.

No I didn’t believe so either. Not going to stop people who don’t care or bother to study logistics from “deluging” Tesla anyway and wasting everyone’s time.

usability wise the old MCU is adequate except for the BROWSER. if they can optimize browser to function near the level demonstrated in the Intel MCU video then i am perfectly happy with the old MCU

but the statement from Tesla is wrong. there is a dramatic difference currently in browser usability. that fact should be enough to justify a retrofit or a speedy fix for the old MCU browser code.