Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charging for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully Supercharger locations will correspond with the availability of good food choices…maybe not 24/7 but wherever and whenever possible.

From http://www.theguardian.com/travel/a...eating-on-the-road-from-brisbane-to-melbourne

Healthy Eating on the road from Brisbane to Melbourne.jpg

Regarding upcoming charging standards, then I just found a nearby alternative (15-20 minutes driving, 32A/3P type 2) to the nearest supercharger (35-40 minutes driving, across Kowloon = often quite a lot of traffic).

Of interest to you Australians for which the Model S is still quite new, I can tell you that the other day the supercharger in Kai Tak was so busy, people were getting rates as low as 125 km/h charging at times. I was in the meantime getting 95 km/h with that 32A/3P, which is lower but very steady. Although superchargers start out at 550 km/h at times, this goes down as battery temp and charging state increases - so in the end there isn't much difference in reality.

I have dual chargers in my car, and I can highly recommend anyone here to get it from new - later installation costs 2.5X as much, and people with single charger cars in Hong Kong already now talk about retrofitting dual chargers, despite the much higher cost. Also think resale value - you don't know what potential buyers some day will need.

In Hong Kong, all Model S comes with the thick blue Mennekes type 2 cable (for 32A/3P). I heard that your cars are delivered with no cables at all?

Adding to this, we just found the source of the J1772 cable, price 105 USD plus shipping (from Northern China). I am going to get one and test it at locations in Hong Kong that offer J1772 charging. Especially if you make a group buy, you should be able to get a good price to Australia (not sure about taxes and custom duties though)

Do the HK cars come with the wall charger? The Australian cars come with the 40 amp unit and I have been told we will be upgraded to the three phase at no cost when it becomes available.

Hong Kong cars come with the thick blue "Mennekes Type-2" cable, good for 32A/3Phase (95 km/h charging). It also comes with the 40A wall charger, which will later be upgraded to 80A I think. I don't know the specifics, as mine is still in the box (probably to join my future "Tesla Motors" museum of collectables).

In HK, the 13A BS1363 charger (for what is equivalent to a UK/HK wall plug) is 3,700 HKD (600 AUD). Tesla Motors HK will happily exchange the wall charger 1:1 for that adapter, but I chose to buy it (and I will get both J1772 and ChaDeMo as well, when available). A few owners in HK without need for the wall charger (like me), chose instead to rig the wall charger so it can be used as "mobile charger". Simply installing a sufficient gauge cable into it, with a plug at the other end.

Does your AU cars come with any cables at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Since the Model S is all brand new in Australia right now, I would hereby like to encourage the community to join forces and support the "open source" open charge map project.

See www.openchargemap.org or get the app, "open charge map" (iOS as well as Android).

If everyone chips in and add their local charging facilities, everyone will benefit. There is no copyright on the information, anyone can share and use it. It's world wide coverage, only up to the users to keep it as up to date and correct as possible. Upload photos, local info about parking rates, charging facilities, faults, where to find it, opening hours if not 24/7 and so on.

If you are using Waze for navigation, please note that it has a function to indicate an address has EV charging (look under the top category)

Hong Kong cars come with the thick blue "Mennekes Type-2" cable, good for 32A/3Phase (95 km/h charging). It also comes with the 40A wall charger, which will later be upgraded to 80A I think. I don't know the specifics, as mine is still in the box (probably to join my future "Tesla Motors" museum of collectables).

In HK, the 13A BS1363 charger (for what is equivalent to a UK/HK wall plug) is 3,700 HKD (600 AUD). Tesla Motors HK will happily exchange the wall charger 1:1 for that adapter, but I chose to buy it (and I will get both J1772 and ChaDeMo as well, when available). A few owners in HK without need for the wall charger (like me), chose instead to rig the wall charger so it can be used as "mobile charger". Simply installing a sufficient gauge cable into it, with a plug at the other end.

Does your AU cars come with any cables at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Since the Model S is all brand new in Australia right now, I would hereby like to encourage the community to join forces and support the "open source" open charge map project.

See Open Charge Map - The global public registry of electric vehicle charging locations or get the app, "open charge map" (iOS as well as Android).

If everyone chips in and add their local charging facilities, everyone will benefit. There is no copyright on the information, anyone can share and use it. It's world wide coverage, only up to the users to keep it as up to date and correct as possible. Upload photos, local info about parking rates, charging facilities, faults, where to find it, opening hours if not 24/7 and so on.

If you are using Waze for navigation, please note that it has a function to indicate an address has EV charging (look under the top category)

Is that different from Plugshare?

I borrowed a J1772 (charging station) to Mennekes Type-2 (car side), so that a Tesla Model S would be able to plug into a J1772 charger. I managed to find two locations with J1772:

Both installations were from HK EVpower.

The older model (as it seemed) allowed me to activate charging, but then it said it didn't work (and charging never started)

The newer model (Type-2 - single phase combined with J1772) said "No EV detected" when using the J1772 plug. When plugging the Type-2 cable directly into the Type-2 charging port, it said "EV Detected", so it wasn't the car or the Mennekes cable that was faulty.

Either this J1772 adapter isn't configured correctly, or something is wrong with the charger.

I hope to make it work, yet as it looks right now, J1772 doesn't seem like it will last long in Hong Kong. Although the Nissan Leaf is the most sold electric car worldwide and it is using the J1772, it hasn't sold too much in Hong Kong. Before Tesla Model S was available, Nissan jacked the price of the Leaf up so high they barely sold any. Meanwhile, the Model S has sold about 500 units in less than six months, despite long waiting times, updating to autopilot hardware etc. Nissan has realised that with a Leaf priced just below a base Model S 60, they had to lower the price and slashed it by 30% or so not too long ago.

Mennekes Type-2 will probably become the main standard in Hong Kong apart from superchargers (and ChaDeMo right after?), giving up to 95 km/h charging for those cars with dual chargers installed, on the three phase type-2.

plugshare is a commercial company (but free as in beer for drivers) open charge map (is free as in beer and free as in speech)

they both do the same job, plugshare is probably already more up to date. as the most popular.

Depends where, I guess. In Hong Kong, Plugshare isn't very accurate (not that Open Charge Map in any way is entirely accurate, but it's much better). Since it takes a lot of work to get it all updated, an open and shared database is better than a commercial one. The "elders" of the community has suggested that we focus on Open Charge Map in Hong Kong.

I hope to make it work, yet as it looks right now, J1772 doesn't seem like it will last long in Hong Kong. Although the Nissan Leaf is the most sold electric car worldwide and it is using the J1772, it hasn't sold too much in Hong Kong. Before Tesla Model S was available, Nissan jacked the price of the Leaf up so high they barely sold any. Meanwhile, the Model S has sold about 500 units in less than six months, despite long waiting times, updating to autopilot hardware etc. Nissan has realised that with a Leaf priced just below a base Model S 60, they had to lower the price and slashed it by 30% or so not too long ago.

Not sure what the public charging infrastructure is like in HK atm - by the sounds of it similar or slightly better than Australia.

But in Australia, Tesla is the only car company that uses a Type 2 plug. The BMW i3, Nissan Leaf, Holden/Chevy Volt, the upcoming Audi A3 e-Tron, and upcoming Porsche plug in hybrids etc all use Type 1. Tesla's Supercharger network also means that there is less incentive for Tesla owners to charge at other public charging stations, except for "convenience" charging, or as the Supercharger network is being developed to near where those owners live. Less incentive to use those public charging stations means less incentive for hardware manufacturers to change from Type 1 to Type 2 just to suit the Tesla.

I think it would make sense to change all to one standard - but until the Government mandates a standard (which they should), I think we'll continue to see a variety of plugs on the market, much to the disdain of charging network operators and consumers alike.

I think it would make sense to change all to one standard - but until the Government mandates a standard (which they should), I think we'll continue to see a variety of plugs on the market, much to the disdain of charging network operators and consumers alike.

based on previous government decisions I think they shouldn't mandate anything. tesla are the mostly likely to loose out on any government mandate from a public servant point of view why would go with the company with only a single car. first thing our government would probably do is ban superchargers under some ACCC ruling because they only work with the Tesla model s (note: this a joke). IMO best to leave the government out of it and just let the market forces decide.

I don't see why it has to be either / or with Type 1 vs Type 2. Tethered Type 1 charging at 30 km/h suits long dwell times in secure locations, whereas socketed Type 2 (>100km/h) is great for insecure public locations / road trips beyond Tesla's supercharger corridor.

There are very few J1772 chargers in Hong Kong, and out of five locations I tried, only three of them turned out to be J1772. I couldn't make any of them work with the adapter I had, maybe the adapter didn't like these units. Two were HK EVpower, different models, while the third one actually required a MALE plug, which means I couldn't connect at all.

I think it's worth pursuing for Australia (and New Zealand), while in Hong Kong, the benefit isn't there unless a J1772 is your best option where you live (or work).

I must now correct myself and admit I made a mistake when I tested the J1772.

Just before handing back the adapter cable yesterday, I successfully charged single phase 30A with a J1772 charging station.

I just realised that the "thick blue type-2 Mennekes cable" that comes with Hong Kong Model S cars, is simply an extension cord - in other words, the male/female each end actually fits (like most extension cords do). When I connected to a tethered J1772, I had

tethering -> adapter -> Blue type-2 cable -> car

I should have skipped the blue cable, and plugged the adapter directly into the car:

tethering -> adapter -> car

Now that I gave the cable back, I expect those first trials to actually work. It didn't want to connect to my car, through the extension cable. Had I connected it directly - it would probably have worked. The guy I borrowed the cable from will test it shortly.

It still ends up to the conclusion that this adapter only works for tethered stations. The un-tethered one I attempted, has a female plug, hence required a male cable (J1772) to a male type-2 (the car end).

Sorry for the confusion - the adapter is probably all OK, just me being stooopeed.

Why would the extension cord make a difference?

It might be just more than extension - it probably has some coding built into it, about resistance. "extension cord" is just what I called it, realising the male and female ends of them fits together. They look so differently I never noticed they are actually male and female of the same species.

So for now, I think these cables in series will confuse the charger so it thinks there is no EV connected.

SteveWest, you know a lot about this, care to comment?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see why it has to be either / or with Type 1 vs Type 2. Tethered Type 1 charging at 30 km/h suits long dwell times in secure locations, whereas socketed Type 2 (>100km/h) is great for insecure public locations / road trips beyond Tesla's supercharger corridor.

With three phase 32A on a type-2 cable, I get 95 km/h at max (22.4 to 22.5 kW) with my dual chargers installed. This is 220V, maybe if you have 230V or 240V in AU/NZ, it could be higher than 95. This brings me to the thought that I wonder if you select either "typical range" or "ideal range" - does that also change the indicated charging speed? Gotta try that some day.

When you think of superchargers starting fast then slowing, the difference to type-2 isn't that much actually, SC only about 3-4 times faster in reality for a full charge. 550 km/h charging is only initially, it doesn't take long before it stabilises around 400 km/h, then later even less as charging tapers off. For that reason, in reality there is even less difference between a good ChaDeMo and supercharging - except - only Japan have ChaDeMo adapters for Model S so far (cannot wait to try one myself in HK, even though ChaDeMo chargers are scarce in Hong Kong).

For normal charging where you arrive with at least 50 km remaining typical range, and don't need to charge up fully, you can charge up within 2-3 hours on a 3-phase type-2. Consider how simple (and cheap) a type-2 installation is compared to a supercharger or ChaDeMo, it's quite a good alternative. If I had a parking lot to manage, I would definitely install an array of 3P/type-2. If long term parking, probably add a lot of 13A or 16A spots, as they are so cheap to install (basically just a wall plug) so people don't have to come back and move their car in the middle of their movie/shopping/dinner. Dedicated long term parking like airports - would definitely focus on loads of cheap 13A rather than a few fast ones.

For those of you still waiting to order: Regardless of your current (haha) needs, I can highly recommend you get dual chargers. You never know where you get stranded some day, resale value and the 2.5X cost of a retrofit. If you already ordered, call your TM rep, often they can still change it even after finalising, as long as your car hasn't been produced yet obviously.

Why would the extension cord make a difference?

Because it's not an extension cord. Although male->female, those connectors are not identical to the ones they mate with on the car/wall-socket: the pilot pins are deliberately made shorter so that they don't connect when you mate the male end of your type2 cable with another connector that's intended to plug directly into the car. This is by design to explicitly prevent you from using these cables as extensions - if you were able to do so, you could defeat the logic which guarantees the car will never draw more current than the cable is rated for.