Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 2023 updates? Or what would you guys like to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Performance upgrade Package, which is the bigger brakes, spoiler, 20 inch tires, upgraded pedals. When the model 3 performance was first released in mid 2018, beside the "faster speed", anything that was a visual indicator of a difference in the vehicles was part of a "performance upgrade package" that you had to buy separately for 5k.

After the end of the third quarter push (in 2018) they then made the performance upgrade package standard, and increased the price of the car a bit. In Q4 of 2018 (and going forward), the performance upgrade package was included in model 3 performance vehicles, however it was still called out on MVPAs.

No idea if it is still called out, but people still note those options as being part of the PUP.
This was the 2nd version of PUP; the first was a set of upgrades for comfort/convenience rather than performance. This 1st Premium Upgrade Package became embedded into the car and its pricing. See my post #100 in this thread.

Premium Upgrade Package, not to be confused with the Performance Upgrade Package. This was supposedly an option announced in 2017 for the early Model 3’s that included:

As it turned out, all the early models had this and if you wanted the car you got and paid for PUP.
Seems that there was originally a plan to sell the base model without the premium upgrade package (i.e. with non-glass roof, cloth seats, etc.), but that went away, and the base model included all of the same hardware (though some features may have been turned off in software).

Seems that there was originally a plan to sell the base model without the premium upgrade package (i.e. with non-glass roof, cloth seats, etc.), but that went away, and the base model included all of the same hardware (though some features may have been turned off in software).
It's too bad - I think I'd actually prefer having a non-glass roof and cloth seats

Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I'm part of a local Tesla club in my area that a couple of our Tesla locations' SAs are members of as well.

One of them tipped us that the model 3 will be getting a refresh this upcoming year. I’m inclined to believe it too since four years is coming up on the Model 3. The Model S was introduced in 2012 I think and got a refresh in 2016, and then another in 2020.
I wonder how likely this would actually be true. I have an order for a Model 3 so this kind of news makes me nervous haha.

I wonder how likely this would actually be true. I have an order for a Model 3 so this kind of news makes me nervous haha.
Well, for what it's worth, Tesla just stopped taking orders for the LR in the US and Canada. That may be a hint of the refresh upcoming. I think it's a hint because they don't want to keep accepting orders for their most popular model to avoid any mess of people switching out their orders once they learn about the refresh.

It was just my opinion too based on conjecture.

I'm curious though how the EV rebate would have to do with it. The max is 55k, so the LR would have already been over that, leaving the RWD as the only sedan in their lineup eligible for the rebate.
Probably they plan to remove some feature or another or lock out some range to get under the 55k mark and then offer a paid upgrade.

So where does Tesla get warranty replacement packs that have less than new capacity (though at least as much capacity as the customer's pack had before failure, as promised)? Presumably, they are used, or have used cells / modules in them, but are balanced enough that the Tesla BMS does not have a problem with them. [...]
I don't know how Tesla makes/gets their refurb packs.
I expect the bolt can handle mismatched cells/modules better because more power is available than the motor ever draws. Which, that is certainly a valid design goal. Give up on being as fast as a corvette in exchange for some pack service-ability? Definitely not crazy!

1. Make it faster (0-60, and 60-100).
2. Make it run longer; increase battery size / motor efficiency.
3. Make it lighter and/or add space for much wider wheel+tire packages (4,200 lbs is way too much to roll on 235mm wide tires).
4. Optimize chassis and body panels for lower cost of accident repairs --> lower insurance rates for the owners!
5. Reliable AP ( 4 years of stagnation has allowed ADAS functionality to degrade to 2nd rate).
6. I'm not even mentioning the FSD boondoggle. On the second thought, triple the price of FSD Beta, just to see what happens to the take rate!
7. Proper sound insulation. Ditch the glass roof, if that's what it takes (at least above the driver's head).
8. Non-plastic seats. Quality leather would be best. Cloth would also be an improvement on plastic-fantastic @#$%.
9. Proper performance suspension (e.g.: Koni, KW, or Ohlins DA shocks, stiffer springs, stiffen/remove rubber bushings throughout) to go with the Performance package.
10. Proper cameras for surround / 360 view while maneuvering in tight spaces.
11. HUD, because center screen is a dumb idea.

If the above is too hard, then just add more stupid games.
And exterior farting/orgasm sounds on demand.

a

Reactions: superflyrolla
6. I'm not even mentioning the FSD boondoggle. On the second thought, triple the price of FSD Beta, just to see what happens to the take rate!
Well, look at that - great to hear Elon's priorities are in the "right" place:

CF trim for the Performance model would be nice.
- Air suspension
- Michelin Pilot Sport 5 tires (245 or 255) for Performance model

1. Make it faster (0-60, and 60-100).
2. Make it run longer; increase battery size / motor efficiency.
3. Make it lighter and/or add space for much wider wheel+tire packages (4,200 lbs is way too much to roll on 235mm wide tires).
9. Proper performance suspension (e.g.: Koni, KW, or Ohlins DA shocks, stiffer springs, stiffen/remove rubber bushings throughout) to go with the Performance package.

MORE POWER #1
Better/adaptive suspension

Quoting all the items from your lists that are very high on my list, and specifically in the context of the performance model.

It needs more power, more rubber, and some dedicated suspension. I know, I know, Musk says he wants to simplify, but there's going to be increasing competition in this segment. Without getting into a deep dive about the i4 (we know, it's porky, uses an ICE platform, etc), the i4 M50 is pretty close to something I would buy, and in the last few days, I've seen a number of articles about a proper/"real" M flavor.

The price for what you get between an LR + SB (when you can get one ...) and the P isn't great enough, or the price is too high for the 3, or something. It's like Tesla needs to elevate the S a bit, move the 3 into the upper/mid-market, and introduce a cheap hatch like a Model 2 (it could even be a 3 platform). Make the 3 LR come standard with PB, add air suspension, make the P more of an M competitor (per the suggestions above).

I have a car in mind, not a make/model, but a set of specs, in 16 months I'll buy based on that, and if the 3P hasn't gotten much better, I don't think it'll be in the running (especially if they remove the stalks and move to a yoke ...)

Reactions: evroro