Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW for those unaware- you can "get" the $7500 tax credit, indirectly, via leasing regardless of your income so if you're over the cap you're still fine (since the credit goes to the leasing company- not you- and they may pass it through in the lease terms).... no option to buy/own the car at the end if leasing from Tesla though
The interest rate eats up almost all of the $7,500 in some cases. It really is that bad.😭

Yeah. I’m planning to upgrade next year and am hoping battery improvements come by then. Also, will try to be opportunistic and jump on a low interest rate offer if they provide one.
Same here! Was planning to upgrade right now (from a 2019 M3P), but I'm tempting to wait for battery improvements. Still very happy with my current one, although the Highland comes with a lot of nice upgrades & improvements already.

Same here! Was planning to upgrade right now (from a 2019 M3P), but I'm tempting to wait for battery improvements. Still very happy with my current one, although the Highland comes with a lot of nice upgrades & improvements already.
I wanna see if they make battery improvements for the new Junioer Y. Figure it would carry over to the Performance 3 if that happens.

Updated my spreadsheet thingy... (I know some of the older model stuff is a touch dated, if anyone feels like updating it knock yourself out)- given the lack of a boost option on the LR AWD HIghland, and the fact that after tax credit it's $250 more expensive than the P, didn't seem worth digging up draggy timeslips to bother adding it as I can't imagine anybody who'd care about what the sheet shows buying one... (in contrast back the day there was often a 10-16k price gap between the LR AWD and P, with boost being only 2k of that-- Todays refresh P with the tax credit is a pretty crazy good deal)

View attachment 1050713
The chart looks pretty accurate. The draggy arrived this morning and I did a quick quarter mile run on local roads on my 2021 LR AWD + Acceleration Boost. SOC 90% and battery temp around 80F. The road is pretty bumpy but here is the result. I am thinking about upgrading to new P, but I do not qualify for tax credit so I might be better off waiting for used one?
IMG_73EA4A5F9207-1.jpeg

The chart looks pretty accurate. The draggy arrived this morning and I did a quick quarter mile run on local roads on my 2021 LR AWD + Acceleration Boost. SOC 90% and battery temp around 80F. The road is pretty bumpy but here is the result. I am thinking about upgrading to new P, but I do not qualify for tax credit so I might be better off waiting for used one?View attachment 1050829
11.74 sec 1/4 with a 116mph speed?
Thsts not bad at all from a boost LR!
Damn do iI even need the new P? lol

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd and Stanim
The chart looks pretty accurate. The draggy arrived this morning and I did a quick quarter mile run on local roads on my 2021 LR AWD + Acceleration Boost. SOC 90% and battery temp around 80F. The road is pretty bumpy but here is the result. I am thinking about upgrading to new P, but I do not qualify for tax credit so I might be better off waiting for used one?View attachment 1050829
That’s a solid LR + Boost 1/4 mile time. Strong trap speeds too. Honestly, that works for most people’s needs.

Yeah man. I had the exact same thought when I went and tested the highland LR. I wouldn’t even be considering a new P if it wasn’t for the tax benefit making it more attractive as a purchase.
I just tested a highland LR for around 90 min today and will provide a small comparison here to my existing 22’ 3LRboost. In a nutshell some things are an improvement and some are not. I’ll stick to interior finish and ride/suspension/drivability/features.
I’ll leave exterior alone for now as we all see it’s an improvement anyway :)

Note: I own a 2022 LRBoost and have placed an order for a 2024 Performance.

Comparison: 2024 Highland LR (19” wheels) vs 2022 LRBoost (20” wheels, 94k driven)

I ensured both cars were set to 41psi, and drove on the same path to ensure going over the same bumps and road areas.
Nice day 22 Celsius, sunny conditions.

Suspension :

- The 2024 is softer on those small road imperfections. On smooth roads there was hardly any discernible difference in ride comfort.
- Larger bumps and manholes were at most 10-15% better absorption but not overly different. Keep in mind I’m comparing a brand new car to a 2.5 yr old with almost 100k km driven)
- The 24’ interior cabin was quieter by far. This is probably the most significant change I detected. The db rate was reduced all the way from 20-110kph and one could hear one’s voice with more clarity. Wind noise was definitely lower and the door locking mechanism shut with a nice thud compared to the 22’.
- however at times I felt like I was in a typical Chrysler or GM rental car with ride comfort prioritized over handling and sportiness. (Toyota Corolla ish).

Handling:

This is where the 2022 outshines. The 24’ was bobbing around when I would shift the steering wheel back and forth at around 50kph. It felt unsure, not planted and the car was like a jellyfish while the body roll was similar to a typical …well again…Toyota. Nice comfort but a lot of roll.
I repeated the same exact drive, speed with the 2022 and the difference was astounding. The body roll was noticeable but about half the amount and I was not shifting in my seat back and forth. The 22’ hands down the better handling car.

Making a speedier and more aggressive right and left turn with the 24’ highland felt decent but again not the same as the 2022. The latter handled more composed compared to the newer model which tended to body roll on a harder turn and to re stabilize. Again, the avg buyer won’t care as the ride comfort satisfy what most need in this car.

The 2022 however wins here hands down for point and shoot accuracy and turning stability. Again it was running 245/35/20 Yokahama Avid Sport ASeasons. Not full summers so not sure how of this was attributed to tires vs the 19” standard oem. If one were to put 20” rims/tires on the highland…could help.

Audio:

Tested both cars back to back with the same Eq settings.

The 2024 has a boominess and echo not found in the 22’ model. The treble was noticeably less refined and as I increased volume to 80% of max, the echo and boominess was more pronounced. I had to reduce the bass settings on the 24’ to try to compensate and it worked somewhat but at the cost of losing good bass response and kick. The 22’ LR came with 14 speakers and 2 amps and subs. The 24’ has 17 but I’m not sure it sounds any better than the previous version…just more echo where the 22’ system was clean and crisp all the way to the top with no echo or hollowness. Note: 2 tweeters that were in the A pillar to provide a more surround sound feel were moved down to the door frame in the 24’. Both are still stellar systems for a sedan!

Interior finish:

Door panelling on the 2024’ felt a bit cheaper than the 2022, however the use of carpet material in the cup holder area was a big improvement over the 22’s hard plastic. The design style is more modern and appealing on the 24’ but the 22’ design flows well on its own.

The front dash grey piece in the 24’ is a fish out of water vs the bamboo wood panelling of the previous gen which is on the dash and the door panels. I’m sure the Cfibre coming for the Performance version will be an improvement over the odd grey material that matches nothing in the entire car cabin. Alcatera or matching the wireless charger material would have been the way to go here.

The wrap around lighting system in the new 2024 dash/doors is quite cool and does provide that desired effect of more modern and fancy. Not sure how it would be at night as a distraction but it’s a neat feature regardless.

Centre console/wireless chargers are too similar other than a cover for the cup holders and a magnetic centre lift piece rather than latch and same for the glovebox…not too different but a bit more refinement.

Tesla could have done something to the screen by changing up how it sits, perhaps size, perhaps more integrated…not sure. But it seems identical to the outgoing model other than black bezel around which is slightly better for the 2024.

Roof/pilalrs/visors/seat belt latches etc are all the same beige colour and material from 2018-2023. Would have been nice to have a black option or change it to black for a more sporty feel and for 2 tone feel in the car rather than a 3 tone. Ie. The white seats don’t match with the beige ceiling and black dash areas. Small thing but had to mention.

Driveability:

The turn signals on the wheel. Hmmm 🤔 took me around 3 drives to start to acclimate to it and I don’t see it being a huge issue overall. I do get why Tesla did not opt for left and right on two different sides of the wheel. To do so would mean having to always use two hands to drive. Having them on one side allows one to rest the left hand on the wheel and use the thumb to depress L or R. But it also means one will have to use their left hand to drive at all times. (NAmerican steering). If you opt to use your right hand to drive, it gets quite awkward to let the steering go to depress a button and then to keep driving. The left hand will have to come into play for this no matter what.

Gear shifting. I did not have the chance to try the auto gear selection tool as I found it was also disabled on test drives. Manually shifting gears in this was was a bit of a nuisance when trying to do an efficient 3 point turn. It was fine but was slight bit slower than having a quick stalk to manipulate up/down while holding the wheel at the same time. Not sure the 24’ screen gear shift is a step up but will reserve judgement on it.

Overall, the 22’ LR boost felt much quicker off the line and mid range as it has boost. Sportier feel and more connected to the road for an EV…point and shoot accuracy.

The 24’ highland although less connected, will appeal to a broader audience wishing for a softer, more sedate drive. More refined repose comfort and cabin quietness, but not the better drive when it comes to tossable fun.

Anyway just a random guys partial review!
I am hoping the new PM3 adaptive suspension returns back to the same handling characteristics of the prev gen to keep to its sporty roots!

I just tested a highland LR for around 90 min today and will provide a small comparison here to my existing 22’ 3LRboost. In a nutshell some things are an improvement and some are not. I’ll stick to interior finish and ride/suspension/drivability/features.
I’ll leave exterior alone for now as we all see it’s an improvement anyway :)

Note: I own a 2022 LRBoost and have placed an order for a 2024 Performance.

Comparison: 2024 Highland LR (19” wheels) vs 2022 LRBoost (20” wheels, 94k driven)

I ensured both cars were set to 41psi, and drove on the same path to ensure going over the same bumps and road areas.
Nice day 22 Celsius, sunny conditions.

Suspension :

- The 2024 is softer on those small road imperfections. On smooth roads there was hardly any discernible difference in ride comfort.
- Larger bumps and manholes were at most 10-15% better absorption but not overly different. Keep in mind I’m comparing a brand new car to a 2.5 yr old with almost 100k km driven)
- The 24’ interior cabin was quieter by far. This is probably the most significant change I detected. The db rate was reduced all the way from 20-110kph and one could hear one’s voice with more clarity. Wind noise was definitely lower and the door locking mechanism shut with a nice thud compared to the 22’.
- however at times I felt like I was in a typical Chrysler or GM rental car with ride comfort prioritized over handling and sportiness. (Toyota Corolla ish).

Handling:

This is where the 2022 outshines. The 24’ was bobbing around when I would shift the steering wheel back and forth at around 50kph. It felt unsure, not planted and the car was like a jellyfish while the body roll was similar to a typical …well again…Toyota. Nice comfort but a lot of roll.
I repeated the same exact drive, speed with the 2022 and the difference was astounding. The body roll was noticeable but about half the amount and I was not shifting in my seat back and forth. The 22’ hands down the better handling car.

Making a speedier and more aggressive right and left turn with the 24’ highland felt decent but again not the same as the 2022. The latter handled more composed compared to the newer model which tended to body roll on a harder turn and to re stabilize. Again, the avg buyer won’t care as the ride comfort satisfy what most need in this car.

The 2022 however wins here hands down for point and shoot accuracy and turning stability. Again it was running 245/35/20 Yokahama Avid Sport ASeasons. Not full summers so not sure how of this was attributed to tires vs the 19” standard oem. If one were to put 20” rims/tires on the highland…could help.

Audio:

Tested both cars back to back with the same Eq settings.

The 2024 has a boominess and echo not found in the 22’ model. The treble was noticeably less refined and as I increased volume to 80% of max, the echo and boominess was more pronounced. I had to reduce the bass settings on the 24’ to try to compensate and it worked somewhat but at the cost of losing good bass response and kick. The 22’ LR came with 14 speakers and 2 amps and subs. The 24’ has 17 but I’m not sure it sounds any better than the previous version…just more echo where the 22’ system was clean and crisp all the way to the top with no echo or hollowness. Note: 2 tweeters that were in the A pillar to provide a more surround sound feel were moved down to the door frame in the 24’. Both are still stellar systems for a sedan!

Interior finish:

Door panelling on the 2024’ felt a bit cheaper than the 2022, however the use of carpet material in the cup holder area was a big improvement over the 22’s hard plastic. The design style is more modern and appealing on the 24’ but the 22’ design flows well on its own.

The front dash grey piece in the 24’ is a fish out of water vs the bamboo wood panelling of the previous gen which is on the dash and the door panels. I’m sure the Cfibre coming for the Performance version will be an improvement over the odd grey material that matches nothing in the entire car cabin. Alcatera or matching the wireless charger material would have been the way to go here.

The wrap around lighting system in the new 2024 dash/doors is quite cool and does provide that desired effect of more modern and fancy. Not sure how it would be at night as a distraction but it’s a neat feature regardless.

Centre console/wireless chargers are too similar other than a cover for the cup holders and a magnetic centre lift piece rather than latch and same for the glovebox…not too different but a bit more refinement.

Tesla could have done something to the screen by changing up how it sits, perhaps size, perhaps more integrated…not sure. But it seems identical to the outgoing model other than black bezel around which is slightly better for the 2024.

Roof/pilalrs/visors/seat belt latches etc are all the same beige colour and material from 2018-2023. Would have been nice to have a black option or change it to black for a more sporty feel and for 2 tone feel in the car rather than a 3 tone. Ie. The white seats don’t match with the beige ceiling and black dash areas. Small thing but had to mention.

Driveability:

The turn signals on the wheel. Hmmm 🤔 took me around 3 drives to start to acclimate to it and I don’t see it being a huge issue overall. I do get why Tesla did not opt for left and right on two different sides of the wheel. To do so would mean having to always use two hands to drive. Having them on one side allows one to rest the left hand on the wheel and use the thumb to depress L or R. But it also means one will have to use their left hand to drive at all times. (NAmerican steering). If you opt to use your right hand to drive, it gets quite awkward to let the steering go to depress a button and then to keep driving. The left hand will have to come into play for this no matter what.

Gear shifting. I did not have the chance to try the auto gear selection tool as I found it was also disabled on test drives. Manually shifting gears in this was was a bit of a nuisance when trying to do an efficient 3 point turn. It was fine but was slight bit slower than having a quick stalk to manipulate up/down while holding the wheel at the same time. Not sure the 24’ screen gear shift is a step up but will reserve judgement on it.

Overall, the 22’ LR boost felt much quicker off the line and mid range as it has boost. Sportier feel and more connected to the road for an EV…point and shoot accuracy.

The 24’ highland although less connected, will appeal to a broader audience wishing for a softer, more sedate drive. More refined repose comfort and cabin quietness, but not the better drive when it comes to tossable fun.

Anyway just a random guys partial review!
I am hoping the new PM3 adaptive suspension returns back to the same handling characteristics of the prev gen to keep to its sporty roots!
Highland door panels are far superior around the edges where they contact the metal. On my 22 3P I installed foam on the hard plastic edge where the Highland already has soft material.

Reactions: Destiny1701
My boosted 2021 LR was doing [email protected]
Bro don’t tell me this stuff! Or I have half a mind to just keep my 22’ LRboost lol 😂
I’ve heard it’s not that far off a PM3 for the mid and high range. Was this on draggy or?

And I have USS, fog lights//added own spoiler, painted calipers, 20” V1 perf rims gun metal) CF trim over the wood/door dash, 20% tint all around, total point and shoot handling. I’m debating keeping it and letting my daughter have it for univ :las it’s too good of a car.

I can't wait to test a new P and then determine how it feels and handles! Still buying as long as it handles well… but apparently the 22’s were the best feature set and susp handling avail on the M3?

On Dragy? Trap speeds at tracks are rarely correct. Did you modify it at all? 11.61 is pretty quick for a 100% stock LR.
Light driver (165 Lbs)
PS4S on aero wheels
MPP page Mill brakes and MPP suspension parts (lots of front camber)
Good alignment
Lowered 20mm on coilcovers
Battery at 95F
3 runs at same time and speed on different lanes.

I don’t think people realize how fast the 2021/2022 LR with AB are as they have the same Panasonic 82 kWh battery and motors. It’s just still slightly software locked vs the P for safety (diff brakes) and obvious economic reasons (lower price).
The motors are different. The 2018/19 models shared the same motor. They switched sometime in 2019 or 2020 to a different motor.

I don’t think people realize how fast the 2021/2022 LR with AB are as they have the same Panasonic 82 kWh battery and motors. It’s just still slightly software locked vs the P for safety (diff brakes) and obvious economic reasons (lower price).
Agreed here. My LRboost feels insanely fast from around 30kph all the way to 130kph. After this it loses steam.l but still pulls amazing to 150kph. (Not that I need to go this fast lol)

Where is lacks is initial 0-30 punch that the P has. But my initial range was also 568km (353 miles). After 2.5 yrs and 95k km driven, max is now 535km (332miles). At 90% I still leave home with 490/491km avail. This is amazing for power/range balance over today. I’m a bit ticked the new PM3 is at 476km range brand new which really means 450 and 90% around 400/410km usable. Also going to a 79kw MIC battery from a 82kw Pano.

But overall the power from 30-80 and 70-130 kph coming onto a highway is unreal.

I do need to test out the new P before I fully commit to accepting delivery. It has to blow me away on power delivery, suspension and handling vs what I have in order to give up uss, stalks, range. I’m excited to own a new P but I will reserve until I can test it back to back with my 22’beast…sorry boost lol 😂

(See my LR Highland review further up the chat…wasn’t too enthralled with the drive given I prefer handling over too much cushion. It’s a nicer cabin for sure but wasn’t what I expected and this need to drive a P).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeremy3292