Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW I went from a 2018 with AB to a 21 P3. The AB feels faster but is obviously not. The P3, as well all know, is a beast off the line and then dies. The AB is slower off the line but continues a still hard pull up to ~100. We all get used to acceleration. This is why everyone wants something just a bit faster and does silly mods to gain a small amount. With the P3 we get used to the launch, so the rest of the pull feels slow. With the AB you never feel that initial hard launch so it feels pretty strong up to higher speeds. This is in part why I favor smaller slower cars like the P3 to the Plaid. Going around curves never gets old, the acceleration does.

Bro don’t tell me this stuff! Or I have half a mind to just keep my 22’ LRboost lol 😂
I’ve heard it’s not that far off a PM3 for the mid and high range. Was this on draggy or?

Yeah you can see on the chart I've posted a few times the differences are already narrowing after 30, and largely gone after 60... Note that's comparing the pre-Highland P to the LR AWD+ (with boost)... the Highland performance model is still a full 1/10th second quicker 50-60 than the AWD+ (versus the old P that was 'only' 0.04 quicker)-- at 1/8th mile you've looking at 7.65 AWD+, 7.29 P, and 7.06 H-P- and by the 1/4 mile 11.82 vs 11.48 and 11.03 respectively.

Again all my non H-P times are from the months after boost first came out, so there's quicker AWD+ times at least now... When I got mine it was an $11,000 upcharge from LR-AWD to P, so at 2k for boost I'm pretty happy I saved the 11k given the relatively small gap.

If I were buying new today the P is a no brainer if you can get the tax credit, it's $250 less than AWD (and no boost available).

That said- given my AWD+ is paid for and works perfectly (and has FSD and whole-car PPF) even if the new P is quicker I don't see it as being worth the $ difference to me from a perfectly working already depreciated and still quicker than ~99% of cars vehicle.

The motors are different. The 2018/19 models shared the same motor. They switched sometime in 2019 or 2020 to a different motor.

FWIW the 980 still showed up in some non-P cars after that date, from time to time they apparently just had extras (they also were in a number of non-P Ys for a while at least)-- that's why the Ghost module works in some newer vehicles (but not most) and you'll need to check if yours is, I wanna say, built after roughly summer 2019... used to be a whole big thread about it with people speculating if the new motor was actually less capable or just being temporarily capped while they tested it... (that theory was obviously incorrect- it's less capable- otherwise they wouldn't still be making the better one)

FWIW I went from a 2018 with AB to a 21 P3. The AB feels faster but is obviously not. The P3, as well all know, is a beast off the line and then dies. The AB is slower off the line but continues a still hard pull up to ~100. We all get used to acceleration. This is why everyone wants something just a bit faster and does silly mods to gain a small amount. With the P3 we get used to the launch, so the rest of the pull feels slow. With the AB you never feel that initial hard launch so it feels pretty strong up to higher speeds. This is in part why I favor smaller slower cars like the P3 to the Plaid. Going around curves never gets old, the acceleration does.
Good point. The AB doesn’t feel the drop off as much as P as it simply didn’t have the same intial 0-50mph punch to begin with.
No wonder when I drive my AB, I don’t really ‘feel’ a drop off as much as P owners state.

Are we saying the AB and oldP are almost neck and neck from 60mph and up?

I’m just trying to ascertain if moving from a 22’ AB to a 24’ HP is worth it. Seems data wise that it would be for initial punch and sustained power with a quieter cabin and softer susp….but at the cost of range, uss and stalks.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms

Just for info, the Plaid turns extremely well and is in fact considerably faster than a Model 3 P even on tight AutoX.

IMG_20240526_123334.jpg

With my previous M3 with full coilvers, MPP suspensions, and 200TW I was 1.5s behind the GT3 in raw. With the Plaid we are trading blows and my Plaid is nearly stock, and it's on VERY tight AutoX courses. On more open courses the Plaid would destroy the GT3's..

Just for info, the Plaid turns extremely well and is in fact considerably faster than a Model 3 P even on tight AutoX.

View attachment 1051101

With my previous M3 with full coilvers, MPP suspensions, and 200TW I was 1.5s behind the GT3 in raw. With the Plaid we are trading blows and my Plaid is nearly stock, and it's on VERY tight AutoX courses. On more open courses the Plaid would destroy the GT3's..
What tyres (tires) are you running?

• Funny
Reactions: phantasms
Well hot diggity dog lol.
Maybe I don’t need a new PM3 after all and incur another 25k of debt or cash outflow.
Unless it literally blows me away. I’m not sure it will given I’m already happy with the 40-150kph power. Hmmm 🤔
Well, it depends. We replaced our 2018 LR with an M3P last year, and a couple of the reasons I wanted the P, instead of a LR, were the track mode and better brakes, in addition to the better grunt at lower speeds. The new M3P has even more power everywhere, better ride and handling, comes with the good brake pads and lighter forged wheels from the factory, and all of the new Model 3 improvements on top of that. What is all of that worth to you? Tempted? :)

Reactions: Destiny1701
Well, it depends. We replaced our 2018 LR with an M3P last year, and a couple of the reasons I wanted the P, instead of a LR, were the track mode and better brakes, in addition to the better grunt at lower speeds. The new M3P has even more power everywhere, better ride and handling, comes with the good brake pads and lighter forged wheels from the factory, and all of the new Model 3 improvements on top of that. What is all of that worth to you? Tempted? :)
But does it have better handling? Has anyone actually driven them side by side yet? Not Susp softness…I mean actual lateral cornering etc. if the LR has been softened to a Toyota, I have to wonder what they did with the P’s adaptive settings to still allow a softer dampener while still allowing for a spirited thrill. I am so curious to feel out how it drives as compared to the old M3P :)

But does it have better handling? Has anyone actually driven them side by side yet? Not Susp softness…I mean actual lateral cornering etc. if the LR has been softened to a Toyota, I have to wonder what they did with the P’s adaptive settings to still allow a softer dampener while still allowing for a spirited thrill. I am so curious to feel out how it drives as compared to the old M3P :)
Sounds like they actually went with bespoke bushings and swaybars in addition to the new dampers if the marketing info is to be believed. So I suspect it will overall handle considerably better, but should be interesting to see.

Reactions: Destiny1701
The legacy M3P (especially early ones) were stiff but handled pretty decently. Twitchy as hell and a little unsettling over bumps but you could really brute force through corners 😁

I like extra stiffness in the suspension so I would like to try it out and see what the different settings produce. I got to sit in the M3P at the store today and I love the new seats! The ventilation is overrated though...maybe if you jacked up the AC it would be better but it was kinda meh. Everything else about the car was killer though and the white sports seats are the way to go!

You guys that ordered are going to love it.

The legacy M3P (especially early ones) were stiff but handled pretty decently. Twitchy as hell and a little unsettling over bumps but you could really brute force through corners 😁

I like extra stiffness in the suspension so I would like to try it out and see what the different settings produce. I got to sit in the M3P at the store today and I love the new seats! The ventilation is overrated though...maybe if you jacked up the AC it would be better but it was kinda meh. Everything else about the car was killer though and the white sports seats are the way to go!

You guys that ordered are going to love it.

Ventilated seats universally work better when the car is in motion. When the HVAC is really going and the car is moving you’ll feel a huge difference. I’ve had ventilated seats in Kias, Acuras, and Volvos, and it’s been the same across the board. I expect it to be the same in the M3.