Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Past 7am in the west coast and no VIN for me here in the SF Bay Area. My EDD window starts tomorrow. Anyone get a VIN today? Seems more and more like the end of quarter will be a bust.

I only have 3 available days to pick up before end of q2. I imagine others will have similar issues between now and 7/4 since it’s a big vacation week.
Same here but my EDD started today. Perhaps a bit of an update in the morning. Fingers crossed. Kinda bummed, was hoping to be able to swing by the delivery site on my way home from AZ.

I'm seeing a lot of wheel discussion on here recently.

Question for those of you who've driven both the new M3P and the new LR: how do their respective tire sizes seem to affect the ride quality, bumps and such? I've heard the 20s are harsher, but is this dealbreakingly harsher or just slightly less comfortable? I've test driven the new LR and loved the upgraded ride quality compared to my 2018 Model 3 LR. So I'd be bummed to get my M3P and discover that the ride quality due to the 20s has reverted a lot of this improvement back down to 2018 levels.

Anyone mind weighing in? Thanks!
From driving both cars, the ride on the 24 model is very compliant. I picked up my car last Monday and I was blown away by the speed. Can a car be too fast? Or am I just getting too old? I’d be content with the LR but the the performance came out cheaper (day 1 order). My car is still in the shop getting a full ppf and tint done. But my first day driving it, I kept thinking if I feel car sick every time I floor it I won’t be driving it in insane mode all the time. Hope I get use to this speed!

Last edited:
Tesla telling me to schedule delivery for next Wednesday/Thursday but I still didn’t receive a trade in offer that I submitted over 3 weeks ago.

Did anyone try to do FSD transfer recently and was successful? I think I might end up going that route and delay delivery if Tesla still hasn’t implemented the transfer option for this quarter.

Tesla telling me to schedule delivery for next Wednesday/Thursday but I still didn’t receive a trade in offer that I submitted over 3 weeks ago.

Did anyone try to do FSD transfer recently and was successful? I think I might end up going that route and delay delivery if Tesla still hasn’t implemented the transfer option for this quarter.
I've also had no movement on my re-submitted trade in and radio silence on requests for an update, good luck

Reactions: stok1232
How is it that a January 10 order still has no vin when exact figuration of vehicles have been delivered to my area
I’m so upset and confused right now
IMG_1168.jpeg

How is it that a January 10 order still has no vin when exact figuration of vehicles have been delivered to my area
I’m so upset and confused right nowView attachment 1058229
The amount of poor customer service, from SA not being able to provide any info to just having a VIN with an ever-moving delivery date for a month and a half will make me never purchase a Tesla again unless I can get it day of. Even then, I might just go shop somewhere else. I finally have delivery set for this Saturday. I've also been so upset and confused during this whole process. I really hope you get yours soon and hope you aren't as frustrated as I was because it is very aggravating and wouldn't want people to go through this.

I'm pretty sure changing the password doesn't affect it, since plaid connects to your account via token and not password. You would have to disable plaid access from inside the bank app (that's how it is in BofA and Chase)
Yes, some big banks offer a button somewhere to remove 3rd party access tokens, but not all.

Plaid uses OAuth, so what your password is at the time the Authorization Grant is performed and used to generate the Initial Access Token does matter per standards and is required by regulation (in this case IETF RFC, SOX and to some extent PCI-DSS). All following Refresh Tokens are based on part or all of the original Access Token.

It's just like OAuth apps at work, for those with corporate jobs. You change your PC password and usually about 8 hours if you didn't logout or reboot you have apps like Office that start failing to authenticate.

Sorry, this is going way off topic. Shutting up...

Can you switch between the various drive modes (Chill, Standard, Insane) at an instant? For example, If I'm riding through town in Chill mode, and I get to a stoplight, can I immediately switch it to Insane or does it require time for battery to warm up for that?
Answer to all of the above is Yes. It's easier to do from the left scroll wheel. The multi-function mode now brings up a menu and it will default to the last menu you were in. So hold the left scroll wheel, go down to Acceleration Mode and pick one. Next time you want to change, long press and it will go directly to that spot where you can scroll to your choice.

Battery doesn't "instantly" change temp, but it does immediately reduce cooling to the pack to allow it to quickly achieve and then maintain a more ideal temp for high usage. You'll also feel an immediate difference in the throttle pedal if you do it while you're in motion.

I'm seeing a lot of wheel discussion on here recently.

Question for those of you who've driven both the new M3P and the new LR: how do their respective tire sizes seem to affect the ride quality, bumps and such? I've heard the 20s are harsher, but is this dealbreakingly harsher or just slightly less comfortable? I've test driven the new LR and loved the upgraded ride quality compared to my 2018 Model 3 LR. So I'd be bummed to get my M3P and discover that the ride quality due to the 20s has reverted a lot of this improvement back down to 2018 levels.

Anyone mind weighing in? Thanks!
I can't answer your question but have the same concern about the wheels, tires and comfort. There is also the issue of different size tires front and rear, and of wheel damage even from smaller road imperfections. In upstate NY there is the cold weather and some snow to deal with. I have a first day order for a performance that I am now considering changing to the LR. The 40+ mile extra range would be nice. It still is a fast car and quicker than most. I have researched changing M3P wheels and tires to 18" all season. The cost would be about $3000 and maybe $2000 back from selling current tires/wheels. There would still be that thrill of a driving the Performance and even slightly quicker acceleration from what I have read. Plus never looking back and saying I should have gotten a Performance.

It's a dilemma I haven't resolved. 1) M3P as is. 2) Performance with tire/wheel change. 3) A Long Range. Choice 3) makes the most sense to me but then there is the psychological side.

Reactions: JG Collins
Are estimates for ceramic coating and window tinting up for negotiation? I got an estimate from a local detailer that comes highly recommended, but was a little higher than I was expecting. Are these type of things up for negotiation? If so, how would you go about it?

Also, do they take into account that it’s a new car? The ceramic coating involves prepping the car with decontamination, etc. I have to imagine that would be easier on a brand new car than an older car with much more damage? Do they consider this in cost? Again… I am not a detailer so I have no idea how this works lol

Answer to all of the above is Yes. It's easier to do from the left scroll wheel. The multi-function mode now brings up a menu and it will default to the last menu you were in. So hold the left scroll wheel, go down to Acceleration Mode and pick one. Next time you want to change, long press and it will go directly to that spot where you can scroll to your choice.

Battery doesn't "instantly" change temp, but it does immediately reduce cooling to the pack to allow it to quickly achieve and then maintain a more ideal temp for high usage. You'll also feel an immediate difference in the throttle pedal if you do it while you're in motion.
Have you tried making the changes using voice commands?

Monday I stopped by the dealer and they told me estimated to arrive early next week. I hadn’t heard back so today I messaged them in the APP asking about an actual delivery date and 30 min later they responded saying I could schedule and I got the link to schedule in the APP. If I didn’t hear back via the APP I was going to stop back by the dealer again tomorrow lol

Well… that worked! Im all set for delivery on Monday at 12:30pm… so excited!

Reactions: arkhos
Are estimates for ceramic coating and window tinting up for negotiation? I got an estimate from a local detailer that comes highly recommended, but was a little higher than I was expecting. Are these type of things up for negotiation? If so, how would you go about it?

Also, do they take into account that it’s a new car? The ceramic coating involves prepping the car with decontamination, etc. I have to imagine that would be easier on a brand new car than an older car with much more damage? Do they consider this in cost? Again… I am not a detailer so I have no idea how this works lol
Anything especially auto work is negotiable, how successful you are with it will depend on your negotiation skills and their openness to it. They can take less margin on product and labor is where they can really save you money. I was able to talk down a well known local installer by offering to pay cash and for doing everything at once. Also helps to build up rapport with installers as you shop around.

The way I see it, I didnt like any of the colors offered for the M3P, black was the only one tolerable but I would have wrapped it to protect the shiny black paint which would cost extra $$$ plus I would have to lose the $1000 upgrade fee and the $7500 tax credit which equals $8500. So I figured get the SG and you'll have saved $8500 for your wrap/tint/ceramic. I got a guy down to 4-5k for everything which will save me $3500-4500 of that $8500. That figure can change once I get him my vehicle but at least I have the table set for when I pickup my car. These guys all look at eachothers pricing, Tesla's wrap pricing and know how popular it is with Tesla owners plus the perception we all have tons of money does not always make it easy to get a good deal. I had lesser known installers try to charge me 8k to 10k for the exact same service, just make sure to shop around ALOT.

Anything especially auto work is negotiable, how successful you are with it will depend on your negotiation skills and their openness to it. They can take less margin on product and labor is where they can really save you money. I was able to talk down a well known local installer by offering to pay cash and for doing everything at once. Also helps to build up rapport with installers as you shop around.

The way I see it, I didnt like any of the colors offered for the M3P, black was the only one tolerable but I would have wrapped it to protect the shiny black paint which would cost extra $$$ plus I would have to lose the $1000 upgrade fee and the $7500 tax credit which equals $8500. So I figured get the SG and you'll have saved $8500 for your wrap/tint/ceramic. I got a guy down to 4-5k for everything which will save me $3500-4500 of that $8500. That figure can change once I get him my vehicle but at least I have the table set for when I pickup my car. These guys all look at eachothers pricing, Tesla's wrap pricing and know how popular it is with Tesla owners plus the perception we all have tons of money does not always make it easy to get a good deal. I had lesser known installers try to charge me 8k to 10k for the exact same service, just make sure to shop around ALOT.
Can you DM me the details for this shop? Looking for other options in the Bay. I don’t care to spend $7500 which is what some have been quoting.

From driving both cars, the ride on the 24 model is very compliant. I picked up my car last Monday and I was blown away by the speed. Can a car be too fast? Or am I just getting too old? I’d be content with the LR but the the performance came out cheaper (day 1 order). My car is still in the shop getting a full ppf and tint done. But my first day driving it, I kept thinking if I feel car sick every time I floor it I won’t be driving it in insane mode all the time. Hope I get use to this speed!
You're not too old. You'll get used to it over time. Give it a month or two and you'll be asking yourself "Is it really as fast as it used to be? It doesn't feel as fast". ;)

Reactions: borntorun10