Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get this car, how do I properly launch it? Is there a launch mode/sequence?
The only launch sequence is to take a deep breath and hang on. Very similar behavior when you are on a roller coaster

1719145529695.png

I saw the same type of paint defects on an ultra red at a dealership

Here's an interesting video claiming that there is *no* way to remove the aero inserts without leaving some scratches. :/ Still debating whether to leave them or not. I prefer the open look and don't really care too much about a 2% (or so) loss of range. If I remove them and find scratches, will I be able to note this as preexisting damage and submit a ticket for a new wheel? Hmmmm. I feel like Tesla will fight me on this and claim that the inserts are meant to remain on the car. Uggh. Couldn't they have just made a newer, nicer looking 22-ish pound forged wheel without the inserts to replace the Uberturbines? Picking up today so I need to decide what to do soon. Any thoughts?

Here's an interesting video claiming that there is *no* way to remove the aero inserts without leaving some scratches. :/ Still debating whether to leave them or not. I prefer the open look and don't really care too much about a 2% (or so) loss of range. If I remove them and find scratches, will I be able to note this as preexisting damage and submit a ticket for a new wheel? Hmmmm. I feel like Tesla will fight me on this and claim that the inserts are meant to remain on the car. Uggh. Couldn't they have just made a newer, nicer looking 22-ish pound forged wheel without the inserts to replace the Uberturbines? Picking up today so I need to decide what to do soon. Any thoughts?

I think any marks left by removing them could be easily removed with some polishing compound.

Reactions: xianking
Taking delivery of my ultra red tomorrow. Was just reviewing the final documents in the app and looks like the odometer is 31. Seems a bit high…. Should I be concerned? Have the service center reps been joyriding?

Have had a pretty terrible purchasing experience thus far with the Springfield, NJ location, so I wouldn’t put it past them.

If you are concerned then don’t remove the aero blades. You would def lose if you try to get Tesla to assume responsibility
Agreed. I think the wheels looks decent either way (with or without the blades). My bigger gripe is that they designed the wheel this way in the first place. I assume most performance buyers aren't super concerned about the tiny range increase. If so, they'd move to the LR instead. They could have at least given an additional wheel option (even if it meant an upcharge). Perhaps this will be forthcoming.

I posted a reply on his video yesterday. He seems to be doing it the hard way. If you remove the wheel, set it upside down like he did in the video, and then remove the wire "springs" first, you can press the two tabs on the sides/middle of the inserts (from the back) and they fall right out with almost no effort. My wheels have zero scratches from doing that. The plastic tabs leave plastic residue on the wheel but they wipe right off with Windex (no buffing needed because they are not scratches).

I saw the same type of paint defects on an ultra red at a dealership

My SG had one spot that looked similar so I pointed it out before I accepted and they buffed it out in 3 minutes in front of me with a cordless buffer and what I would assume was swirl remover. Once I got it home I cleaned it up and sealed the whole car with Collinite 845 and there was no sign of the spot (I couldnt' find it) so I know they didn't just cover it up temporarily.

Reactions: Raptor911
If I have learned anything from this board it is that you really have to nudge Tesla along as you try to take possession of your vehicle. After getting my VIN last night and completing my tasks, the EDD changed but I could not schedule delivery. Messaged them through the app explaining I had some conflicts and asked to schedule 6/25. Almost immediately they opened my delivery option and gave me 6/24 and 6/25 as options. You just gotta nudge them along sometimes.
IMG_0697.jpeg

You need to decide because the longer you leave them on while driving the more you subject the wheel finish to scratching.

Reactions: Raptor911
I don't know about y'all, but I actually like the aero covers on the wheels...
I like them too but mine made all kinds of creaking and clicking noises and I was tired of my brand new car sounding like a POS so I removed them. Noise is gone once they were removed and they look just as good either way. A couple of advantages to having them removed other than getting rid of the noise if you experience it are the fact that the brakes are more visible and you are also able to fully clean the wheel barrels…mine were terribly dirty!

Reactions: Dr.DMP3
I still have a 6/25-6/30 EDD without a VIN and live in the SF bay area and have a few questions.
  1. Should I be worried that I don't have a VIN 2-6 days before my EDD?
  2. Is the actual delivery date notification via their app, text or email?
  3. The last two days of my EDD are a Saturday and Sunday. Is the Fremont delivery facility open on Saturday and Sunday?
I ordered it on 4/24, I'll be disappointed if they push my EDD to next quarter.