Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah man it’s violently fast lol. It’s almost like I have to TRY and not hit 80mph+

I’m worried I’m going to get a ticket in this thing lol.

What annoys me is a a main road I drive on is like 65mph and for some reason everyone drives like 80. So even though I can smoke everyone I can’t do so without literally going close to 90. These ppl must not give a *sugar* if they get ticketed lol
Yeah, it's still incredibly comforting sitting there knowing that if you put your foot down you'd blow past them though.

Yeah man it’s violently fast lol. It’s almost like I have to TRY and not hit 80mph+

I’m worried I’m going to get a ticket in this thing lol.

What annoys me is a a main road I drive on is like 65mph and for some reason everyone drives like 80. So even though I can smoke everyone I can’t do so without literally going close to 90. These ppl must not give a *sugar* if they get ticketed lol

Violently fast is a good way to put it. Especially from a stop the 0-60 just makes you feel like your insides are in the backseat. I also agree about having to work to not hit 80+. You're there before you know it. My last car was "fast" by any estimation (4.6 0-60), but I've never experienced anything like this. In that same 4.6 seconds in the M3P, I'm closing in on 85-90 MPH. I cannot even imagine what a MS Plaid or Lucid Air Sapphire must feel like.

Last edited:
Is $800 a reasonable 6 month premium for auto insurance for the new M3P? In my 30s, clean driving history. Prior car was 400, so kinda seems crazy that it doubled, but I have heard that EVs can be pricey to insure. Is this about average?

That seems reasonable to me. My 6 month premium is around $660 for the M3P, and I had to really work to find that rate with a legit company. Many others were 750-1000 for six months. Tesla insurance was $135 a month at a 90 score which would have been impossible to maintain in this car lol. For reference, I'm 40M, excellent credit, clean driving record.

Is $800 a reasonable 6 month premium for auto insurance for the new M3P? In my 30s, clean driving history. Prior car was 400, so kinda seems crazy that it doubled, but I have heard that EVs can be pricey to insure. Is this about average?
I pay about 600 for my 2023 m3p. But then i have a bundle discount. If you are only insuring the car then that sounds about right. Also depends on where you live.

Can we please ban the use of "*sugar*" in this waiting room? It's getting infuriating how often I've seen this stupid euphemism used here. 🤣

Im pretty sure the web software substitutes that phrase for certain other typed words. I am not positive on that but I think thats how the site owners have it setup.

I plan on subscribing to FSD when I pick up my car in Miami on Sunday, then driving it back to Atlanta. So it seems I won’t get the latest greatest no nag FSD till I get an update?
Right. I'm pretty sure not a single M3P has gotten an update past the SC-installed 2024.14.100.1 anyway. I have no idea when the first customer update will happen. Still, 12.3.6 is pretty good. Just remember to activate AP and FSD before embarking so it can calibrate and then you'll be able to use it after a few miles.

Inventory restocked.

None of them qualify for the $7500

Attachments

• IMG_0062.png
    IMG_0062.png
    706.2 KB · Views: 3
Real World Range / Charging Test. Methodology: level 2 charge until battery stops drawing current at 100% SOC. Start testing immediately. This is a highway range test. Conditions: 69 degrees, 47% humidity, N wind 10 mph, gusts to 17 mph. Route Is mostly E / W with the turn around at 50% SOC. Wind is mostly crossing the route. Climate set to 72 degrees. Run SOC down to 5% then Supercharge back to 80%. Set mode to chill and use autopilot with speed set to 72 MPH. Results: 261 miles, 72 kWh, avg 275 Wh per mile. Supercharged @ a V3, went to 250 kw, 200 kw @ 4 min, 150 kw @ 8 min, 100 kw @ 15 min. Never dropped to 50 kw. Total charge time to 80% SOC, 32 min, 53 kw total. I was hoping for more miles, but them's some big ass wheels. Conditions were nearly ideal, except for the cross wind.
That is terribly disappointing for a 100% charge

• Disagree
Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
That is terribly disappointing for a 100% charge

I think its pretty good, especially for being set to 72 MPH when the rated range would take something like 45MPH average.

How far someone can go on a charge is basically immaterial for most people, at least once you get past about 200 miles on a charge. Its a talking point for pretty much every anti ev person / website etc, but it really doesnt matter for the vast majority of use cases.

I think its pretty good, especially for being set to 72 MPH when the rated range would take something like 45MPH average.

How far someone can go on a charge is basically immaterial for most people, at least once you get past about 200 miles on a charge. Its a talking point for pretty much every anti ev person / website etc, but it really doesnt matter for the vast majority of use cases.
Been driving my 2018 M3 AWD W/Boost for almost 6 years now. I live in Canada, but I’ve travelled across Canada, across the US, and it’s my daily driver. I also drive a lot for work.
I’ve never had a problem with range anywhere, and I feel/agree the FUD around range is unwarranted.
However..
I do strongly feel the right range for an electric car is 600-700 Km’s or 370-435 miles.
I’ve had enough instances (especially during the winter season), where this would have been welcomed.
I see comments all the time, that anything above 200 miles is not necessary. Those are comments made by folks that only view the world from their own little perspective. :)
Again, no issue with my current 500km/310mile range. But about 100-200km’s/62-125miles more would be so much better for me.

Reactions: spennnyy

Make that 250 or preferably 300 and I agree. There are areas of the US atleast where there are almost no level 3 chargers. In NY, the Adirondack wilderness area is pretty huge and has not L3 chargers in it. I have a camp I go to out there and I can barely make it in and back without charging. Upside though, it's all winding road driving at lower speeds so the car will get the 300.

Reactions: JG Collins
I picked up mine on Tuesday. It's insane. It's a bit faster than my previous 2020 M3P but the only way you know that is by looking at the speedometer, you can't tell it from noise or handling. It's much quieter than the 2020. It handles like a true sport car. Build quality is much better. But I hate the turn signal and gear shifting without the stalks. It’s taking a while to get used to and I have to unlearn it if I drive my wife’s Y or I rent a car. If someone comes out with a new steering wheel that goes back to the stalks, I'm getting it.
I have to unlearn going from my 2020 MP3 to driving the X5. Dont know how many times I went to back up and set off the windshield wipers. No different now with the new M3P. Just have to develop new habit. Try going from a regular manual transmission to a 3 on the tree…lol

Real World Range / Charging Test. Methodology: level 2 charge until battery stops drawing current at 100% SOC. Start testing immediately. This is a highway range test. Conditions: 69 degrees, 47% humidity, N wind 10 mph, gusts to 17 mph. Route Is mostly E / W with the turn around at 50% SOC. Wind is mostly crossing the route. Climate set to 72 degrees. Run SOC down to 5% then Supercharge back to 80%. Set mode to chill and use autopilot with speed set to 72 MPH. Results: 261 miles, 72 kWh, avg 275 Wh per mile. Supercharged @ a V3, went to 250 kw, 200 kw @ 4 min, 150 kw @ 8 min, 100 kw @ 15 min. Never dropped to 50 kw. Total charge time to 80% SOC, 32 min, 53 kw total. I was hoping for more miles, but them's some big ass wheels. Conditions were nearly ideal, except for the cross wind.
Thank you for running and sharing!!!!! 72mph seems pretty good for avg us highway. Florida highway are more like 85mph for weekend warriors. Charging sounds like same as 2023 M3P on the 2170 cells, or is there a improvement. Never dropping to 50kwhr sound good. but if taking 30 min and only onboarding only 53kw, sound like it dropped close to 50kwhr after 15min. Or am I misunderstanding how it works. 🤪

I have to unlearn going from my 2020 MP3 to driving the X5. Dont know how many times I went to back up and set off the windshield wipers. No different now with the new M3P. Just have to develop new habit. Try going from a regular manual transmission to a 3 on the tree…lol
I've owned 3 manual Mustangs over the past 15 years. Can still say I've never owned an automatic, though, I guess 🤣.
My wife currently has a 2016 X5, she might be looking at the Y refresh if my 3 experience is good.

I've owned 3 manual Mustangs over the past 15 years. Can still say I've never owned an automatic, though, I guess 🤣.
My wife currently has a 2016 X5, she might be looking at the Y refresh if my 3 experience is good.

My wife went from a 2016 X5, to a 2019 X3 M40i, to a 2022 Model Y Performance (bought new in 2022). Shes generally happy with the Tesla. She is extremely (extremely) happy not to have to go to gas stations any more, as she still had to go get gas for the X3 while I was charging up at home since 2018.

Note however that we are empty nesters so did not have any need to put a bunch of people in the car.

She gets a bit perturbed about the software updates, but not too much (but shes a pretty chill, easy going person in general). I asked her a few months ago if she was still happy with the model Y and she said yes, charging up at home makes putting up with little software annoyances worth it.

Woahh! Had a super hot day today and turned the seat cooling to high. You all know it blows A/C out the bottom of the seat as well?? I think the RWD and LR does this as well, but if not, put another notch in the M3P belt. I’ve got say.. I’ve never experienced a perfectly cooled taint area and all the surrounding bits and bobs on a hot day and I am forever a changed man. 😂🤣😂
Just hang in there everyone! Seats, suspension, looks, etc are bonkers but that was the icing on the cake lol. You’re going to love it!