Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, that was my general thinking as well, but upon checking each wheel, they were *definitely* out of balance (after removing the caps). In fact, one of them was significantly out of balance even before removing the caps. Perhaps it has something to do with the location of the weight needed to balance. The caps are all on one side of the wheel, so removing them from one side (as opposed to removing them evenly from the inner and outer edge of the wheel) must make a difference. That's what the dudes at the tire shop said, anyhow.

I was getting the notorious 65-75 MPH slight vibration right as I left the delivery center. Regardless, I never trust the factory balancing. I trust what I can see directly. I was planning on visiting my buds at Discount even if I kept the caps on to get a balance check. I don't pay anything since I've been buying tires/wheels with them for 30 years. They know I'm coming back in 15K miles to get some tires. LOL. Also, the Dutch Bros. I threw in helped a bit. :) The white rubber balancing weights that Tesla uses leave a lot of residue. I much prefer the metal weights (for color matching purposes) and because, for whatever reason, they leave less residue in my experience.

P.S. I had the same issue with other new cars in years past. All out of balance on delivery.
For those that have dealt with the service centers before...what are the odds that you show up to have your wheels balanced, having previously removed the aeros and they tell you that their removal makes them out of spec and therefore only suggest putting them back on? I'm curious what the official line on the aeros is with Tesla.

Hey everyone,

I took delivery on Sunday, 6/23. Below is my honest assessment and some basic pictures. I’m sure some will disagree with my overall assessment. I’m not trying to start a long conversation (or debate), but just providing my perspective. 😊

Order Date- 4/27
Phoenix, AZ
Most recent EDD- 6/21- 6/30
VIN date (6/21)- I called my SA and snagged a “demo” vehicle on 6/21 that was already en route to AZ. It was never a demo, but was slated to become one. The car had 17 miles on it when I picked it up.

Fit and finish: The paint quality was exceptional and much better than my 2023 M3P. There are one or two panel gaps that can likely be adjusted 1-2 MM, but they are not noticeable unless you’re looking for them. The level of clear coat on the car is really good. The pics below are with a simple polish and hand-applied ceramic coat. That’s all I’m doing. No PPF, etc. This has always been my method. I’m old school.

Interior: There is one rattle on the dashboard. I located it and it’s the carbon fiber strip. I placed the service request right away. My old M3P also had a rear rattle upon delivery. The seats are nice, but they are tight. I’m only 145-150 pounds and there’s less than an inch on either side remaining. If you’re 200 pounds, it’s going to be like a sardine can. LOL. The seats feel a bit firmer, so if you’re looking for a comfortable seat for road trips, then this isn’t the model for you. The interior material and build does seem to be of higher quality. Everything lines up well and feels somewhat sturdier. The ventilates seats don’t seem very strong. It’s better than not having them, but nothing amazing.

Stereo: The stereo system, especially with the dual sub setup, is much, much better than the 2023.

Wheels/Tires: I opted to have the aero blades removed for visual appeal. I really liked the solid design of the Uberturbines. Yes, they were 30 pounds versus 22 on the new model, but at least they didn’t have plastic, garbage inserts. And yes, the new aero inserts all squeaked and creaked at low speeds. I asked the service tech at the delivery location about this and he said it’s a known “design flaw” and they won’t be able to fix it. This further solidified my decision to remove them.

In any case, I visited my friend at Discount Tire. We dismounted all four wheels and removed the inserts carefully from the back. Even doing it this way was *very* difficult. I was watching them like a hawk and they were super careful. They did not scratch anything. As others suggested, the marks from the blades did leave some significant residue that mostly came off with Goo Gone. But there are a few residual scratches that remain---primarily on the spokes where the aero blades were originally touching. It’s not a huge issue, but if you remove the blades, you’ll likely have a few scratches. Don’t expect them to be perfect.

One important point: if you remove the aero blades, you definitely need to rebalance the wheels/tires. We checked them before and after, and they were all 1-2 ounces off with the inserts removed. So, I would recommend not simply ripping them off at home if you want a perfect wheel balance.

Performance: Yes, this thing is significantly faster. It’s definitely much more powerful on the mid and top-end. For example, it was 110 degrees out, dry AZ conditions, tires warmed up, and I was cruising at 45 MPH. I punched it and the front tires actually broke loose a bit. It felt like front torque steer on a FWD car. This never, ever happened on my 2023 M3P. To be honest, I do feel like the old model was dialed-in in terms of power. There might be *too* much power for this chassis. I’m not complaining, and I’ll take it, but it’s slightly less inspiring given the likelihood of losing traction. In my view, the updated suspension simply does not compensate for the power/lack of traction. :/

Range/efficiency: My 2023 had a screen range of 240 miles at 80% when new and remained there after one year. This model has an 80% range of 236 miles. That’s not a huge difference given the increase in power. Real-world efficiency is slightly worse in my opinion, but I have not driven it long enough for the average to be meaningful. After about 100 miles of mixed driving (including some crazy initial driving), I’m at around 300-ish WH/mi. My old model was 285 lifetime, so I suspect it’ll get under 300 eventually with more driving. Though, removing the aero inserts likely won’t help.

Suspension/steering: This is where I was really not super impressed. I know, I know, but Jason Camissa said it’s perfect, so it must be! LOL. Suspension has always been my thing, and I’ve driven every type of setup you can imagine, so I do have a good sample size for comparison. In my 2023 M3P, I thought the suspension was great. I had very few complaints. The occasional “juicy” rebound on certain corners, depending on the road, but nothing to gripe about. I always drove the 2023 with the following settings: sport acceleration/sport steering. In the 2024, I have it set to “Insane/Sport/Heavy.” Given these settings, the road feel is very similar, and I would argue just as rough as the 2023. I really cannot tell the difference. If you move the ride/handling into “standard,” then it is much softer. I don’t prefer the soft ride and love to feel the road, so for me the comparability between the 2023 and 2024 is very similar in “sport.” For those that want a softer ride, then I think they’ll be very happy with the “standard” ride setting. The “heavy” steering setting is extremely heavy, which I generally like, but significantly heavier than the 2023 “sport” steering mode. The 2024 “standard” steering, to me, is lighter than the 2023 “sport.” I wish there was a fourth option (between standard and heavy), which would be perfect.

Turn signal/Gear selector: I’m happy with the stalkless gear selector. It took just a day or so to get used to this. I would prefer a stalk, but it’s not an issue. However, the steering wheel turn signal feature is ridiculously annoying. This is going to take a very, very long time to get used to. I keep reaching for the stalk, like a phantom limb. When zooming in and out of traffic quickly and changing lanes (one of the perks of this car), I had to hesitate to think about it, which was unsafe. I ended up not even using my blinker a few times to avoid the time lag so that I didn't crash, which probably angered a few drivers.

Styling: This is where I feel like the new model shines (literally and metaphorically). The overall styling, stance, front and rear bumpers, diffusers, lights, etc. are significantly better.

Overall impression:

2023 M3P: 9.0/10
2024 M3P: 9.5/10

*The car is certainly better, but I think it’s an exaggeration to say that it’s in a different class altogether. I made the move because with the tax incentive my monthly payment actually dropped, so it was a no-brainer. For those that love their old M3P, have no monthly payment and are on the fence, I don’t know if I would recommend the immediate switch, especially given the order delays, etc. If anything, it might be best for someone to wait a bit until the demand has dropped and it’s easier to obtain, assuming one has the time to wait. There’s always the chance the $7,500 credit will be removed (not by Tesla necessarily, but from the Feds, given the political climate).

Put another way: In retrospect, if I had *not* purchased this car, would I feel like I am missing out (FOMO)?................No.

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 1059685

View attachment 1059684
i'm getting:

week 1 at 80% = 238 miles
week 2 at 80% = 240 miles

Just got a VIN assigned today 6/25 and the vehicle was already on site and ready to be picked up as early as tomorrow 6/26. A few minutes after a SA called me and wanted to schedule delivery. I was told if I did not pick it up before 6/30, I would lose my spot, a clear end of Q2 push.

Order date: 4/23
Color: Gray/White
Last EDD: Jul 6 - Aug 10
Notification: both text & app

Was able to easily change payment from Cash to Self-Arrange Financing within the app, after VIN assignment.
Proof of insurance, uploaded and status shows complete.
A reschedule button is active, however I have no need to reschedule at this time.
Make Your Final Payment tab is active with a Start button.

@TH82 FYI

1000003336.jpg

Looks like I was able to transfer my FSD and I don't even have a VIN yet.

Reactions: Raptor911
Yes, that was my general thinking as well, but upon checking each wheel, they were *definitely* out of balance (after removing the caps). In fact, one of them was significantly out of balance even before removing the caps. Perhaps it has something to do with the location of the weight needed to balance. The caps are all on one side of the wheel, so removing them from one side (as opposed to removing them evenly from the inner and outer edge of the wheel) must make a difference. That's what the dudes at the tire shop said, anyhow.
I guess in a dynamic balance, the machine tells you how much weight, where to put it (radially) and whether to put it on the inside or outside edge of the wheel. So removing aeros from the outer plane of the wheel might cause a shift in where the weight needs to be as the weight distribution from side to side is now slightly different. But even 1 ounce seems like a lot for a wheel and tire that weigh about 50 pounds (800 ounces) each.

• Informative
Reactions: DW3434 and Dr.DMP3
After receiving a txt message from Tesla yesterday to schedule delivery, I did so for Wed. Since I did not have a VIN, I called my delivery center in the Bay Area and spoke to an SA who assured me that my car (UR/BLK ordered 4/23; no changes) would be ready for delivery Wed., and that I would get a VIN in advance . I proceeded with plans to sell my current car and arrange for ceramic coating, etc. following delivery on the M3P.

Well, guess what. At 3:30 this afternoon, I get a txt message from Tesla advising that my new vehicle had not yet arrived at the delivery center and my appt. may need to be rescheduled. No idea yet what the new date is yet. Very frustrating.

After receiving a txt message from Tesla yesterday to schedule delivery, I did so for Wed. Since I did not have a VIN, I called my delivery center in the Bay Area and spoke to an SA who assured me that my car (UR/BLK ordered 4/23; no changes) would be ready for delivery Wed., and that I would get a VIN in advance . I proceeded with plans to sell my current car and arrange for ceramic coating, etc. following delivery on the M3P.

Well, guess what. At 3:30 this afternoon, I get a txt message from Tesla advising that my new vehicle had not yet arrived at the delivery center and my appt. may need to be rescheduled. No idea yet what the new date is yet. Very frustrating.
In their zeal to increase Q2 sales, the Tesla AI monkey has been sidelined and unable to assign VINs. You would think Tesla is smart enough to understand that deliveries can't happen without a car

Reactions: arkhos
I wonder if that other UR was supposed to be mine until they gave it away because I'm on vacation. Did you get the VIN of the other one?
Unfortunately no. The VIN of the one I rejected ended in “1960”. It’s actually still attached to my account. I received a frantic phone call at 7p last night from a SA that the system automatically re-matched me to that car and they wanted to double-check that I wanted to reject delivery. I told them yes, but as of right now (~30 hours after I rejected) it’s still showing in my account and I am getting text and app notifications to schedule delivery 🤦‍♂️. I have sent several messages to Tesla (both via app and text) and have not received any reply.

Incredibly disappointed by my experience with the Springfield NJ team.

Was all good to go to pick up a showroom demo w 214 miles on it from Tampa Sunday.

Then someone sent me a link of a brand new 6 mile inventory in Miami Gardens. Exact same spec and price.

I chatted w tesla and they switched me to the new one.

Born on date for Tampa showroom demo was early May, new car in Miami is 3rd week of May.

Vin is separated by 25k plus.

Will be a longer drive back to Atlanta, but no fart residue. 😂

Was all good to go to pick up a showroom demo w 214 miles on it from Tampa Sunday.

Then someone sent me a link of a brand new 6 mile inventory in Miami Gardens. Exact same spec.

I chatted w tesla and they switched me to the new one.

Born on date for Tampa showroom demo was early May, new car in Miami is early June.

Vin is separated by 25k plus.

Will be a longer drive back to Atlanta, but no fart residue. 😂
What was the vin on the demo?

I Didn’t say don’t resolve it. I just don’t think the vindictive approach of threatening a YouTube strike is warranted. But if you need to see a suggestion to take a professional rational approach to a resolution as fanboy-ism, ok. :)
That's how you deal with making a bad practice costly for them though. If they get free money for bad practices they have no incentive to change.

I’m about to lock myself in a dark room and delete the Tesla app until they deliver the car to me themselves…….

After having my delivery day rescheduled from Saturday to Wednesday for a “containment hold”, my SA called me and said the vehicle needs an entirely new battery pack. I’m absolutely gutted.

It’s going to take at least 2.5 weeks to repair and he put me back in line for a potential new VIN, so back to waiting.. again.

F’s in the chat. Send me your sympathies. I will rise from the darkness eventually.
Just be glad they caught in now rather than having the battery die after delivery. Sucks but it could absolutely be worse.

Reactions: Raptor911
One option to consider, which I know they will honor, is to drive the car for a bit, so that it can be enjoyed. As long as you place the service request within the first 100 miles, you don't necessarily need to surrender the vehicle right away. On my last M3P, I kept it for like 1-2 months before going back in to have the bumper and wheel replaced. Just an idea....

I can't recall what the original issue was, but if it's drivable, then this is an option.
The original issue was major paint quality issues and some offer stuff if I remember correctly. That's not really a fixable issue.

Reactions: Jangy