Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla trying to send me 2 hours away to some random inventory match. Tesla delivery process seems to get worse every time. Was a breeze with my 2018 3, 2023 y was a bit janky, and this model 3 performance is so far kind of a pita.

Pretty soon will be missing the dealership experience.
Seriously. My 21 M3LR Gabe me an EDD 2 months out, and I had a car within 2 weeks with just the 1 EDD before a VIN. This is just a mess, but hopefully it’s resolved soon. No particular rush other than my own excitement.

Reactions: ord3r
I think backlog is going into August - September now. I fully expect mine to change to that timeframe tomorrow or Wednesday.

I’m a day one order, but will be relieving my order next Sunday. Ive been looking at local Caymans in my area.

Regular dealership is 5-10 minutes of negotiation then everything is silky smooth with you driving off same day with the car. That’s one thing I’m looking forward for. Tesla is easy ordering, but then dozens of EDD changes, useless SAs, and schedule changes to try to accommodate.

I’m going to be on my 9th EDD and probably would have never ordered if the website didn’t say “May” delivery.

I had to explain to my wife how the EDDs changes are normal, the SAs aren’t the most reliable, and how there’s a checklist for customers to do upon delivery. Didn’t go so well, so it looks like we will be weaning towards another car. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get an LR at this point.
I think there will always be a backlog/wait for a small percentage of folks - of course, I've experienced this at legacy dealers, as well - it's not JUST a 'Tesla thing'. But I don't know which is worse - having multiple EDD changes (I did, as well), or like the last Toyota my family ordered - absolute silence and lack of any sort of communication for months until out of the blue - a phone call to let us know it's there. Honestly, I hate both. :) I just think for something that costs -this- much to make and buy, it just seems odd to me that any auto-maker can't be more precise with build/delivery data in this day and age.

But maybe I am being too unreasonable. :)

Anyway - I've seen a ton of Highland LR's each time I've been to my local SC, so I would hope it wouldn't take long to get you one of your choosing in your area, as well. If not, good luck with the Cayman or whatever you/your wife end up driving. :)

I spoke with a local SA and they said I have a soft match on August 1st, but the SA at least this one I spoke too said “soft matches” don’t exist. I was told I have a soft match “early July” from another SA back in June.

Unfortunately for me this was the last straw for the wife. She said if my EDD changes tomorrow or Wednesday the order is being canceled and we’re going to a normal dealership like regular people. She said the inconsistency of all the different SAs is something that really questions the customer service of Tesla and she’s concerned about doing business with them.

I think it’s a wrap for me, but it’ll be for the better and I think EVs in 5-10 years won’t take as much of a depreciation hit and have much better range.
I think one thing that needs to be understood is that this is a brand new version of a car. We're at the start of a vehicle ramp. This isn't a Camry where the tiniest of design changes are made year to year and the car has been produced for thirty years. Sure, the M3P isn't a new car, but this version is different enough that it's receiving the type of attention and waitlist of basically a brand new model, and seems to be getting ramped like a brand new model. These kinds of delays and EDD shenanigans wouldn't be a thing if this car was three years old and just chugging along like, say, a 2022 Model 3 Performance might have been. So I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't let that make you wary of doing business with them as if they were a year-old startup no one has heard of. Tesla's customer service leaves much to be desired, absolutely, but the product is ultimately worth it and has proven itself over the last 15 years that it's worthy of having overall consumer trust IMO.

I think one thing that needs to be understood is that this is a brand new version of a car. We're at the start of a vehicle ramp. This isn't a Camry where the tiniest of design changes are made year to year and the car has been produced for thirty years. Sure, the M3P isn't a new car, but this version is different enough that it's receiving the type of attention and waitlist of basically a brand new model, and seems to be getting ramped like a brand new model. These kinds of delays and EDD shenanigans wouldn't be a thing if this car was three years old and just chugging along like, say, a 2022 Model 3 Performance might have been. So I understand the frustration, but I wouldn't let that make you wary of doing business with them as if they were a year-old startup no one has heard of. Tesla's customer service leaves much to be desired, absolutely, but the product is ultimately worth it and has proven itself over the last 15 years that it's worthy of having overall consumer trust IMO.
I’m scrambling for anything right now to find one within a 12 hour driving distance. It’s not looking good. There was a demo recently I should have taken.

I think the only real saving grace will be if my EDD just adds a day as opposed to changing to August or some crazy later date. I think someone had a soft match, but got a VIN about two weeks earlier. So far nothing has changed on the app yet.

Tomorrow I find my fate or have another argument with the wife about the car as she is very much opposed to it now more than ever.

Took delivery on 6/29, VIN only came 2 days before! Things can happen fast on the west coast it seems. Car has none of the issues that have been mentioned here, but am still keeping an eye out. Only really have had one chance to floor it in insane mode, but the acceleration is truly incredible. Had some fun zipping around/past all the traffic today.

Reactions: arkhos
Finally had a chance to wash and ceramic coat the car. I noticed a scratch in the front red caliper. Could have happened before delivery. But I just noticed another chip on the other side. Perhaps the aero covers I took off may give added protection? I bought a can of high of temperature red brake caliper paint to touch up the areas. Seems a little darker than the oem paint. Sorry, forgot to take pictures before I did the touch up.

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1533.jpeg
    IMG_1533.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1532.jpeg
    IMG_1532.jpeg
    378.8 KB · Views: 1
Beautiful. Our Edds were tracking the same until you switched color for the floor model. Just thought I would let you know they just pushed out my July 4 to aug 1 Edd all the way out to July 28-to Sept 1. And here I was thinking would get some love in the new quarter. I think I am going to peace out from the forums until I get a VIN. Well done grabbing one!

Reactions: mousekiks
Do ceramic coating jobs usually include the wheels or is that typically separate? I assumed it would include them, but then when looking at the quote I realized that it does not mention them.

If separate, is it worth the extra cost to do the wheels as well?
It does NOT include the wheels.

I always do the wheels myself. I think wheels are the one area that benefits the most from a ceramic coat. Ceramic coating essentially provides an barrier to environmental contaminates and wheels 100% of the time gets subjected to environmental contaminates.

I have coated the my last 3 wheels sets and cleaning them afterwards is a dream.

If you do do the wheels, also coat the calipers while you are at it.

anyone notice wavy/distortion on the front windshield? similar to seeing wavy heat off a hot surface. wondering if its my tint (Llumar 50% IRX) or factory glass issue.
you tinted your windshield? If yes, then it is def the tint causing the distortion.

My buddy does this to his cars and every time I ride in them .. at certain angles, I can see the distortion .. drives me crazy but he is use to it.

Reactions: Jangy
Beautiful. Our Edds were tracking the same until you switched color for the floor model. Just thought I would let you know they just pushed out my July 4 to aug 1 Edd all the way out to July 28-to Sept 1. And here I was thinking would get some love in the new quarter. I think I am going to peace out from the forums until I get a VIN. Well done grabbing one!
Similar story here…:p

Reactions: sgtauto