Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Performance/Ludicrous Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I fall more in love with this car every day. It's so fast, so comfortable, and the tech is so good. The car looks and feels amazing in every way. I have had 0 issues and car was in pristine condition on delivery. I honestly can't believe this car is only 55k (and less for those of you who qualify for the tax credit). To those of you that have been anxiously waiting, hold on. It is indeed worth it in the end.

Well, just got back from my delivery appointment in Springfield, NJ. I decided to reject delivery.

The car had several (4-5) paint defects, and a pretty bad raised "panel gap" where the trunk met the rear passenger panel. 3 of the paint defects seemed like artifacts that were under the paint, causing it to be raised (almost like dust or shavings that got painted over). There was a spot on the hood in front of the driver that looked like a dent, but was under the clear coat, and the other defect seemed like gravel or rocks had been kicked up in front of the passenger front tire. I also noticed some paint drips on the inside bottom panel of the rear driver side door. A sloppy paint job overall.

The main thing that made me decide to reject is that my Ultra Red was parked right next to another, and I did not notice any paint defects on that other car. It truly is luck of the draw.

I chatted with a technician that told me that they handle paint issues through a third party body shop and it can take 6-7 days. I did not feel comfortable taking delivery of a new car that would need to be immediately taken to a body shop... who would probably make the issue worse.

Back in line I go. 😞

Well, just got back from my delivery appointment in Springfield, NJ. I decided to reject delivery.

The car had several (4-5) paint defects, and a pretty bad raised "panel gap" where the trunk met the rear passenger panel. 3 of the paint defects seemed like artifacts that were under the paint, causing it to be raised (almost like dust or shavings that got painted over). There was a spot on the hood in front of the driver that looked like a dent, but was under the clear coat, and the other defect seemed like gravel or rocks had been kicked up in front of the passenger front tire. I also noticed some paint drips on the inside bottom panel of the rear driver side door. A sloppy paint job overall.

The main thing that made me decide to reject is that my Ultra Red was parked right next to another, and I did not notice any paint defects on that other car. It truly is luck of the draw.

I chatted with a technician that told me that they handle paint issues through a third party body shop and it can take 6-7 days. I did not feel comfortable taking delivery of a new car that would need to be immediately taken to a body shop... who would probably make the issue worse.

Back in line I go. 😞
When I refused my delivery I was told the next refusal would result in losing my deposit and that I would have to submit another order and start over again

When I refused my delivery I was told the next refusal would result in losing my deposit and that I would have to submit another order and start over again
Wild. They were definitely disappointed that I was refusing. I got brought into the main showroom and intro'd to a "Manager" who asked me if I was sure I wanted to reject probably about 4 times. I'm sure they wanted that Q2 delivery.

Day 2 with the car and I took the opportunity to push it a bit while on the way to drop it off for window tinting. The driving dynamics when really hugging a curve like a highway onramp while using regen braking are fun and different. Feels a bit like cheating to not touch the brake pedal, but I am here for it! The suspension really stays planted as well with no noticeable body roll. The seats hug you as well.

The car is well worth it and I am so glad I stayed strong and didn’t switch out to an LR. Hang in there those of you who are still waiting! The car is amazing.

Thanks for elaborating! Ok, back to freaking out I go :p (I guess if I put my order on hold, then I have no more chances of refusing delivery in case I spot any major defects?). Btw I don't really care about the part that placing on hold would delay the order or even put me to the bottom of the queue.

I had no clue how 1,000% meaningless EDD actually is - right now I've got 06/24-06/30 yet no VIN... I will see how things develop from here!

If you put the order on hold before you get assigned a vin, I dont know if it counts against the "only can reject one vin" count. I would contact Tesla and let them know about your vacation and see what they tell you.

What do the big brains make of this? Was just able to schedule delivery. But no VIN assigned.

Believe this was similar to what happened with @nonvinp3d

Attachments

• IMG_4495.jpeg
    IMG_4495.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: nonvinp3d

Back in line I go. 😞
Ultra Red seems to have systemic paint issues. Several people here and on the Reddit group have reported similar problems.

I fall more in love with this car every day. It's so fast, so comfortable, and the tech is so good. The car looks and feels amazing in every way. I have had 0 issues and car was in pristine condition on delivery. I honestly can't believe this car is only 55k (and less for those of you who qualify for the tax credit). To those of you that have been anxiously waiting, hold on. It is indeed worth it in the end.
Getting me more excited! I’m supposed to pick up Wednesday. They said my car is supposed to arrive tomorrow evening.

Now for some reason I can’t stop anxiously worrying that it’ll get delayed or damaged in transport or bunch of quality issues lol. I hope it ends up perfect like yours!

Back in line I go. 😞
You did the right thing. UR seems to have issues. I'd consider a change. For what its worth, Black has been EXCELLENT (relatively speaking). I have rejected a car before because of paint and I got another within a week. Good luck. Get what you like. That is what it is all about.

Reactions: gregdobs