Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2017 - Behind Back Seat Open Panels - Quality Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you fold down the back seats, you can see carpet panels above where the wheels are..

I notice that basically every Model S has these panels that seem to have "manufacturer issues".

They are open or have a huge gap... and you see inside into the electrical.

Most Tesla salesman are completely unaware of this issue..

Most service reps have no clue this exists..

I notice this on my vehicle and also on showroom Model S vehicles..

I emailed Customer Service in Fremont, and they say this is "within their tolerance".

I don't think this is "normal".

Maybe normal for Tesla's fault tolerance... but not for a vehicle of this caliber or even half the price..

Very disappointing that Tesla's service reps don't have the resources to fix this.. and they let vehicles out w/ this kind of shoddy workmanship.

Is this Tesla's "normal"?

@#$@#

Model S Panel Back Behind Seat 1.jpg
tesla back seat panels2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at mine and, ha, it's just as bad if not worse than yours.

1) I can stick my entire hand into a gap that should be seamless (between the carpet piece and the plastic piece.)
2) Looking into the gap I can see a wire loom, bare wires, and a cheap metal mounting strap, all through the gaping seam.
3) Towards the top, the plastic and carpeted pieces are flush as they should be, but then the gap gets bigger and bigger as it moves lower.
4) I also have a gap between the leather piece forward of the plastic piece. I can see more wires through that gaping seam.

Tesla may think it's normal, but I don't see how anyone would consider it anywhere close to acceptable.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: eloder and Ulmo

1) I can stick my entire hand into a gap that should be seamless (between the carpet piece and the plastic piece.)
2) Looking into the gap I can see a wire loom, bare wires, and a cheap metal mounting strap, all through the gaping seam.
3) Towards the top, the plastic and carpeted pieces are flush as they should be, but then the gap gets bigger and bigger as it moves lower.
4) I also have a gap between the leather piece forward of the plastic piece. I can see more wires through that gaping seam.

Tesla may think it's normal, but I don't see how anyone would consider it anywhere close to acceptable.

It's a shame!

Tesla owner's should speak up..

That's the only way Tesla will improve their "trim" quality...

We cannot allow this to be "normalized"

Man, I've gotta tell ya. It drives me absolutely insane to be sitting in the front seat of my beautiful, self-driving, technological marvel knowing that if I were to engage autopilot, reach into the back seat, pull the seats down and stare at the area normally covered by the rear seat back I might be able to see a gap where the carpet meets the trim piece.

I'm never going to be able to look at this car the same way again.

That's interesting...
based on my discussion w/ the service manager, he says the older Model S cars had MORE fitment/trim/build issues...
Basically counting me lucky to have a newer car..

And we should trust him because .. ?
I'd rather believe my eyes over his/her words. The last pre-facelift cars were built like a tank. And the new ones are being produced far too fast and far too poor. Of course I have no stats to back this up. But just reading from here, anecdotally I can say that we used to complain about paint quality .. not out of alignment tires, such glaring gaps. I remember people complaining about millimeter gaps and Tesla promptly fixed them .. unlike them telling you now "within manufacturer tolerance"

Serious Q - why the heck does manufacturer tolerance matter? You are the one paying for it, its not within customer tolerance, refund me my money. If you are within the 15 days buyers remorse period, I'd play that card, and see how quickly they fix your car. .. and if they don't (because they can always punt it to some poor soul as an inventory car), take the money and run to the closest mercedes/jaguar/bmw dealership.

This is not a subway sandwich you bought, and the mayo ain't enough! This is a $100K car for god's sake. When was the last time someone knocked on your door and said hey SocialMS, you are a great person, here is $100K for the half-assed job you did!?

May 2016 facelift S with 40k miles. I abuse the hell out of my car, always hauling things, using camper mode, etc. I don't have this gap. Maybe I got lucky because I got my car shortly after the refresh happened and they were still watching things closely before cranking them out much too quickly to meet sales quotas. *shrug*

In theory you are 100% right.

But once they have your money, and you're argueing about annoying fitment issues, sometimes you have to pick your battles.

Do I want to argue and make it my life mission to fight "Tesla" over minor fitment issues?

In theory, yes... but in reality.. (it's very tiring).

Am I willing to hire an attorney, spend MORE money and take that journey?

I have no idea whether the "older" cars were built better than the "newer" cars... I just know what service and sales is telling me... and what Fremont support is confirming...

"Within their level of tolerance"....

I firmly believe that if you QC'd all the new Tesla Model X and S's rolling out of the factory today.. 70% or more will have fitment/trim/quality issues....

I actually shared this thought w/ my service manager and sales person and both of them nodded their heads in agreement...

Given this reality, either you decide to "accept" the standards or FIGHT and go on that journey...

Not an easy decision!

@#$@#$

That's interesting...

based on my discussion w/ the service manager, he says the older Model S cars had MORE fitment/trim/build issues...

Basically counting me lucky to have a newer car..
some of the older "classic" cars did indeed seem to have more fitment issues but nothing as bad as this. FWIW: my very late 2015 d90 seems to have been well built. as others have noted the it appears that QC went bad with the facelift models.

Kort - please provide examples of Tesla's excellent quality control? are there any? I really want Tesla to succeed but owning 2 of them has been an exercise in extreme patience and one that will not let me recommend the cars to anyone. Our 2015 is going to Dania on wednesday for a failing ac compressor and non responsive door handle. The 2016 is in the process of getting sold back to Tesla via the lemon law. Please explain how Tesla's QC is getting better.

Kort - please provide examples of Tesla's excellent quality control? are there any? I really want Tesla to succeed but owning 2 of them has been an exercise in extreme patience and one that will not let me recommend the cars to anyone. Our 2015 is going to Dania on wednesday for a failing ac compressor and non responsive door handle. The 2016 is in the process of getting sold back to Tesla via the lemon law. Please explain how Tesla's QC is getting better.
Car hardly ever explodes?

You zoom out a bit and consider other owners rather than basing your view on your unique situation things look different.

Kort - please provide examples of Tesla's excellent quality control? a
where exactly did I use the term excellent?
I stated that my late '15 model S had a decent build quality when compared to earlier and refreshed models.
It appears that you are having severe issues, I feel bad for you and I'd be just as bitter but I wouldn't be lashing out at people who haven't had the issues you appear to be having

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18

I ran out and looked at both my 2 week old model S and 15 month old model S. Both have the same 1 cm gap with wires showing on both sides. I never noticed before so it must not bother me. There is nothing loose, there is just a large gap. At least if I need to run wires back there, it should be easy to get in.
gap3.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bonnie and Vitold