Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes unfortunately. I order + on day one. Changed my mind a couple weeks later. Originally I was told they could just change my reservation without losing my place in line. Yay! Then, a couple days later, they reached out and said that was a mistake and that they couldn’t just change my reservation to a Plaid. They canceled my reservation, refunded my money and told me to reserve a new car with deposit, which you can imagine sent me to the back of the line. This was like 3-4 weeks ago. My date is in the 4-11 week camp.

Pretty frustrating that you can’t just change the model. If you have any different luck, please report back. Maybe things are different now that they moved the date so far out.
Interesting, I had originally ordered a MS LR with FSD on January 31st. Then about a week later called my SA to change to a Plaid and eliminate the FSD. I just left a message because, as you know SA’s are never available. They must have other jobs. He finally called me a few days later and said he will make the changes and my order number will stay the same and therefore won’t lose my place in line. The changes showed up 2 days later under my same account number. I’m hoping he’s right but I’m not counting on it. I’ll be happy to get the car in May, especially if the federal tax credit kicks back in. Or tomorrow, then I’d be dancing on a cloud.

Reactions: Drew-MS
This one has contrast piping and stitching, so it's a Plaid. I'll bet that LR has a round wheel and Plaid has a yoke. All the LRs we've seen have had a round wheel, while all the Plaids we've seen have had the yoke. Also, this is the first neat, sale-able yoke I've seen so far.
My LR shows yoke steering in the build details

Good job on the pics.. I’m also getting that vibe especially since Elon confirmed in January that the refresh is wider. It’s also been semi-confirmed the wheels are wider. I like what I see so far... good looking rear 😎
I’m getting nervous about this... our driveway is quite narrow with curbs on either side. I’ve parked a pre-refresh S in it a couple of times but it was tight. Even with my narrower 3 it’s tricky sometimes. So I kind of hope it isn’t significantly wider than the previous S...

I’m getting nervous about this... our driveway is quite narrow with curbs on either side. I’ve parked a pre-refresh S in it a couple of times but it was tight. Even with my narrower 3 it’s tricky sometimes. So I kind of hope it isn’t significantly wider than the previous S...

Would not expect it to be that much wider (if at all).

Look at it this way - the fenders are aluminum and they will be only tight in the spot the first time you pull in.

I can’t tell ya how much I appreciate this thread and the ongoing discussion! It’s kind of like you guys are my personal support group while we all go through the ups and downs (mostly downs, haha) of waiting for our Model S’eses. Lord knows my wife/kids/friends/family/coworkers/strangers around town are downright sick of hearing me go on about Tesla over the years. Thanks fellas!

Don't worry, the car will "Guess" where the curbs are...lol

But I think the difference will not be more than an inch or two per side.

Most likely the width increase is to put the new motors in.

I can’t tell ya how much I appreciate this thread and the ongoing discussion! It’s kind of like you guys are my personal support group while we all go through the ups and downs (mostly downs, haha) of waiting for our Model S’eses. Lord knows my wife/kids/friends/family/coworkers/strangers around town are downright sick of hearing me go on about Tesla over the years. Thanks fellas!
Feel your pain. Wife is long TSLA, but still runs out of the room with hands over ears whenever I talk about the car...

Here is a pic of the old/new. The refresh looks wider but that could be due to angle, lighting, etc. Tried to scale the photo with know carryover parts (i.e. tesla badge). The tires appear to be a little wider and the rear fender does as well. Anyone else getting that vibe?

View attachment 645232

BTW, I do not think the chrome badge looks bad with black trim in this photo.
It looks like the new model s already has a twilight failure on right side. Unless it the light?

If we assume it’s a little wider, I’ll try to guess by how much. I’ve never seen one in person so it’s just guesswork. I’m guessing it’s wider by about 2”. If we assume the widest rear tire on the refresh is 295-35-21, that’s 30mm wider than the widest tire on the current S (265-35-21.) The 30mm difference is just over 1” so I’m guessing the rear fenders (and wheels) are about 1” wider on each side - wider by 2” total.
This is just my speculation including speculation that the new rear tires are 295mm wide.. We know the front tires on the refresh are 265-35-21 compared to the 245-35-21 on the current S so 295-35-21 seems like a good guess since the pilot sport 4s doesn’t come in a 285-35-21 or a 305-35-21. If the 295mm tire is true then it’s a good guess the rear fenders will be approx 30mm wider on each side. If hypothetically Michelin makes a 285-35-21 for Tesla, then my guess is it will be approx 1.5” wider or .75” wider each side.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the old/new. The refresh looks wider but that could be due to angle, lighting, etc. Tried to scale the photo with know carryover parts (i.e. tesla badge). The tires appear to be a little wider and the rear fender does as well. Anyone else getting that vibe?

View attachment 645232

BTW, I do not think the chrome badge looks bad with black trim in this photo.
They are the same width or pretty darn close. The license plate is 59 px in both pictures so they are to the same scale (👍) and a line from from the top of one wheel arch to the other (which appears to be the widest point) is 353 px in both pictures.

They are the same width or pretty darn close. The license plate is 59 px in both pictures so they are to the same scale (👍) and a line from from the top of one wheel arch to the other (which appears to be the widest point) is 353 px in both pictures.

Yeah, I can see that and that was my question. The plates are not the same (red one has a wider frame and the poor resolution kept me from using it. The photos are indecisive but gives us something to discuss while we are waiting for Elon's refresh announcement.

Yeah, I can see that and that was my question. The plates are not the same (red one has a wider frame and the poor resolution kept me from using it. The photos are indecisive but gives us something to discuss while we are waiting for Elon's refresh announcement.
It
Not sure how the car would look with wider wheels/tires without wider fenders. It would look like a 60s muscle car 🤔

Attachments

• 37D11D68-1BE3-40B0-BF44-4B6FE52E3175.png
    37D11D68-1BE3-40B0-BF44-4B6FE52E3175.png
    533.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I put an order in for a Plaid back in September. They changed it to a plaid+. Since the date has moved out, I am looking at options. Has anyone tried swapping their plaid+ order for a plaid? If so, what was the impact?
My other option I am considering is purchasing a M3 LR for now and selling when the plaid plus delivers.
Advice is welcome.
Yes, I had a plaid reservation from October 2020. In February I figured the Plaid+ would get delayed way past "early 2022" so I canceled the Plaid + reservation and put the deposit down on the plaid. Just waiting at this point.

Yes, I had a plaid reservation from October 2020. In February I figured the Plaid+ would get delayed way past "early 2022" so I canceled the Plaid + reservation and put the deposit down on the plaid. Just waiting at this point.
I have a plaid, now updated to plaid plus, from Sept 23, approx 5 min after announcement.

I need to make some changes, but was told to hold on for now by a SA, in case said changes mess up my order.

Looks like I have over a year maybe two, to do so. I am leaning towards a cancellation at some point.

Reactions: TNGuy99