Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one, am glad Tesla is delaying deliveries. I have to assume they would prefer not to do so if possible. The priority is for Tesla to make sure the cars are as perfect as possible and ready to be delivered They shouldn’t rush cars out that may have issues just to meet self imposed deadlines, and ultimately create unhappy customers and force the Service Centers to deal with the consequences
Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings...
“There’s never enough time to do it right but there’s always enough time to do it over. “
Just to add a bit more optimism to this thread. The longer we wait, the better chance for a $7,000 or $7,500 tax credit which may or may not be retroactive to all 2021 EV purchases.

Maybe we are getting closer to getting our Model S. Many speculate that the delay was because of the Yoke approval. But in my opinion, I believe the delay was gear selector. Seen pictures of buttons under the phone charger. If that was true we would have to wait for that component to be made. But now it is a software change which took time and approval. Now that has been approved. I like the yoke but I don't want to get into that discussion. I hope everyone get the vehicle with their options that they want. But with the approval of the gear selector, I think we are one day closer to be able to drive our Model S home. I had a delivery date of March but on Tuesday that was removed. Expecting May but hoping for tomorrow.

Maybe we are getting closer to getting our Model S. Many speculate that the delay was because of the Yoke approval. But in my opinion, I believe the delay was gear selector. Seen pictures of buttons under the phone charger. If that was true we would have to wait for that component to be made. But now it is a software change which took time and approval. Now that has been approved. I like the yoke but I don't want to get into that discussion. I hope everyone get the vehicle with their options that they want. But with the approval of the gear selector, I think we are one day closer to be able to drive our Model S home. I had a delivery date of March but on Tuesday that was removed. Expecting May but hoping for tomorrow.
Where'd you see approval of the gear selector?

I've been a lurker here but decided to make an account and join the ride. Glad to see this positivity! Also if it helps with transparency, I am a Feb 5th order, LR S in SoCal. My ETA still says March. I have a feeling we'll be seeing an update next week.. whether it's the car ready to be shipped or a window between April - June. Let's say best case scenario is Mid April, we're already almost just two weeks away from that! Either way, I'm thankful to be so excited and fortunate to buy this innovative spaceship and wait with ya'll!

I've been a lurker here but decided to make an account and join the ride. Glad to see this positivity! Also if it helps with transparency, I am a Feb 5th order, LR S in SoCal. My ETA still says March. I have a feeling we'll be seeing an update next week.. whether it's the car ready to be shipped or a window between April - June. Let's say best case scenario is Mid April, we're already almost just two weeks away from that! Either way, I'm thankful to be so excited and fortunate to buy this innovative spaceship and wait with ya'll!
SoCal also. Still says March for my Long Range....

On the delay, I'm more and more convinced it's software as was mentioned upthread a while back. I think they expected to be rolling out meaningful autopilot updates by now and they never built the old versions with this car and its potentially upgraded camera suite (we know it at least has an internal camera).

That's consistent with the delay in the "Button" update for opting into FSD beta.

Thinking they might not ship until they are satisfied with the updates for the larger fleet. That could be any day and that may be why they are holding off on shipping.

March is unlikely at this point, but not impossible -- even if they haven't built it yet.

As a point of reference, I picked up a Model X on June 30 last year. It literally left the factory that morning and was only completed a couple days prior. I didn't even hear from them to arrange for delivery until June 28.

Reactions: TNGuy99
Again, the NHTSA does not "approve" or pre-approve anything. Manufacturers self-certify compliance with FMVSS. If a safety concern is raised after the fact, they will investigate. If there is ambiguity over compliance, a manufacturer can ask the NHTSA for a clarification, a waiver or a rule change.
Exactly. But every lame wanna be blogger jumped on a verge article. Dang we are struggling for some updates. I just don't know why literally every single person that's seen a mule hasn't turned the camera on the whole time. Esp that dude that got to get in one. Hit every button. Every screen. 360 the inside. Common now haha. I think these are Tesla leaks. Enough to keep us talking but not enough to give us the full pic.

Exactly. But every lame wanna be blogger jumped on a verge article. Dang we are struggling for some updates. I just don't know why literally every single person that's seen a mule hasn't turned the camera on the whole time. Esp that dude that got to get in one. Hit every button. Every screen. 360 the inside. Common now haha. I think these are Tesla leaks. Enough to keep us talking but not enough to give us the full pic.
They can only do this so long without repercussions.

MB EQS release is in 18 days.

Leaked delivery date in August.

Range and performance in the same ballpark as refresh LR, and you know the interior and finish is going to be good.

I mentioned a few pages back the Tesla manager, not SA, assigned to my account said April was when Tesla was going to gear up production and deliveries of the S, today I had to talk to him about my M3P which is scheduled for pickup on 3/30 so I again asked him what was eta for the S since I have a BMW m5 I’m making payments on and that cars going to be traded for the S and my trade-in expires in 2 weeks, he said the factory is ironing out final details with an eye on the first couple weeks of April. Nothing is concrete but that’s what he was told.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Okay, also been a lurker here for the past few weeks and have been reading lots of your posts from all you guys, refreshing pages.

Just a few notes for you all...

1) I have a new Model S Plaid, white w/ white/black/carbon fiber interior, 21" arachnid wheels, & FSD on order (placed order on 2/5/21) and my Tesla account currently still says "March." 🙄

2) I was the 1st one in my South Florida county to take delivery of the new '19 Jaguar I-Pace HSE back on 12/1/18...which I recently sold to a local dealer to get a whopping $40k after I paid > $90k for that thing just 2 years & 36k mi. ago. I originally had it set for a Tesla trade-in at $37k but after the 30 days expired, Tesla lowered their trade-in offer to $32,600...and I was PISSED, so I contacted a guy I know who works for a large dealership and they specialize in taking in high-end sports cars and other unique luxury vehicles to resell them off their lots. Got $40k for the vehicle BUT I'm fortunate that we have another "extra" vehicle I can drive in the interim while waiting for my new Tesla Model S Plaid.

3) The reason why I jumped to Tesla as honestly, I have never been a big Tesla fan (and always drove Porsche, MB AMG, BMW, LAnd Rover, Lexus, Infiniti and I had a 700 HP/TQ '12 Nissan GT-R Black Ed which ran on E85 ethanol fuel and was a real BEAST (rand 1/4 mi in 10.2 sec @ 136mph)...but my wife hated it as it was loud and bumpy, lol. 😜 so I sold that last year as it was just getting dusty sitting in the garage). I've always thought the very plain and "empty" interiors of the Teslas were just boring and not very luxurious. But I've always liked the shape and style of the Model S...and after I test drove a 2020 Model S Performance (with about 800 HP/TQ), it reminded me of a very, very refined GT-R, I was hooked...and here I am waiting for the Model S Plaid. I was simply blown away with the power, max battery range, and technology of the Tesla Model S.

4) Here's where it gets interesting....Tesla Customer Service SUCKS BALLS! Actually, there really is no such thing as customer service from Tesla as far as I can tell, and the local sales advisors are all completely USELESS! They have no clue! This is the fault of Tesla from the corporate level and communication and customer service skills should be a BIG part of any auto manufacturer (or computer hardware/software "technology" company...however you want to classify Tesla, period! Just the fact that Tesla does not have a PR Department says it all right there.

5) I am a Tesla shareholder (although admittedly not enough shares as I would've wanted) but now, like may others, I bought on the recent dips, so we'll see if Cathy Woods is correct in a few years...hope/pray. 🙏

6) I hope my Model S Plaid comes with a regular round steering wheel as I still think the half "yoke" style steering wheel will be awkward and dangerous with no good way to use the hand-over-hand technique for sharp turns and u-turns...just like expert race car driver, Randy Pobst suggested in his video interview a few weeks back. I cannot even imagine the older folks (older than me at 51, almost 52 years of age) here in South Florida fumbling with that 1/2 steering wheel...there will likely be many accidents, injuries, and possible fatalities with that stupid steering wheel. BUT, whichever steering wheel I get will have to work OR if I don't feel comfortable (if I get that yoke thing), I will have to sell the vehicle as no vehicle is worth risking anyone's life over.

7) Just to let you all know that waiting for a new or refreshed/updated vehicle is not extraordinary; I waited about 7-8 months from the time I placed my order for the brand new (and Jaguar's 1st EV) Jaguar I-Pace until I took delivery of the vehicle. BUT, having said that, the communication and information I received from my Jag sales advisor and JLR corporate reps were simply leagues above Tesla.

All in all, I am still very excited to take delivery of my Tesla Model S Plaid...whenever that may be. I am excited to drive an EV with more than 250 mi. max battery range (that was the max battery range of my Jaguar I-Pace) and although I enjoyed my I-Pace very much, the buggy, sluggish UI and God-awful Navi system were so annoying to deal with! 😒 I loved my Porsche '15 Macan Turbo (the quality, luxury interior, performance, & handling) and thought I would be getting a Porsche Taycan OR the new Audi E-Tron GT as my next EV, but I'm baffled why Porsche/Audi have not offered their new EV's with more max battery range, at least in official manufacturer estimates and EPA ratings. I'm sorry but I cannot take a chance to spend > $100k to drive a "next generation" EV with LESS battery range than my Jaguar I-Pace...that's just stupid!

So, cheers to everyone here and let's hope we ALL see our Tesla accounts updated next week or the following with APRIL estimated delivery timeframe (although i suspect that we could possibly dip into May or even June)...but let's stay positive as one of the previous new TMC members put it. 🙏:cool: