Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@sflgator

If you think CS sucks, wait until you experience Service.

With the exception of Mobile Service, which is good to very good.

Also good is you may never need service except for tires and filters every two years.

Sounds like you are all in. Look at the YT vids of folks carving back roads with a homemade M3 yoke.

Since you are saving money by not getting the car as soon as you want, rent a P100D on Turo for a weekend. That's what I did before I got my MS. Best 250 I ever spent.

I personally think the holdup is software. FSD Beta updates have been quiet lately, regular updates have been quiet lately. I bet it's all hands on deck getting V11 ready to go.

Just speculating.
Understand the qualifier, and I would really like to believe that it is software

But why not ship the cars and have the SvC do the update?

Perhaps that won't help them make the delivery target, so all refresh is on the back lot until they clear out all the M3 and MY deliveries.

I am speculating as well..

@sflgator

If you think CS sucks, wait until you experience Service.

With the exception of Mobile Service, which is good to very good.

Also good is you may never need service except for tires and filters every two years.

Sounds like you are all in. Look at the YT vids of folks carving back roads with a homemade M3 yoke.

Since you are saving money by not getting the car as soon as you want, rent a P100D on Turo for a weekend. That's what I did before I got my MS. Best 250 I ever spent.
Hopefully I won't need any service for my Tesla MS Plaid, but if I do, I suppose I'll try for the mobile service if possible, although there are 2 Tesla SC close by. My Jaguar I-Pace HSE went in for service many times over a 2-year period...too many time, imho, and I was frustrated that I couldn't drive my $91k EV for many days/weeks at a time. Their service was very slow getting parts and fixing s/w issues. At the end of my time with my Jag I-Pace, I gave up and decided not to ever bring it in again although their OTA s/w updates were very few and far in between...think I had 3-4 OTA s/w updates in the 2-year period. I know that Tesla does many OTA s/w updates quite regularly, so that's a good thing imho.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: foos and jsight
I personally think the holdup is software. FSD Beta updates have been quiet lately, regular updates have been quiet lately. I bet it's all hands on deck getting V11 ready to go.

Just speculating.
Personally, I actually think it's the yoke steering wheel and working with the NHSTA to get approval on it or if not, Tesla is trying to reconfigure the vehicles with the standard (although refreshed, stalkless) steering wheel now and it's taking some more time.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and elguapo
Good thought but nah, I've been using my daughter's car for now until I get the MS Plaid. And I alreday test drove the MS Performance a couple weeks ago, so I know what I'm getting into (+ 200 add'l HP/TQ). Funny thing is my Tesla Wall Charger goes in next week, replacing my ChargePoint EV charger I had in our garage for my Jaguar I-Pace...anyone need a slightly used ChargePoint EV 240v plug-in (not hard-wired) charger? 😜

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Personally, I actually think it's the yoke steering wheel and working with the NHSTA to get approval on it or if not, Tesla is trying to reconfigure the vehicles with the standard (although refreshed, stalkless) steering wheel now and it's taking some more time.
Didn’t we hear Tesla is planning on shipping with round wheels, then swapping them out to yokes after NHSTA approves them?

Personally, I think Elon just thought they could deliver much faster than they actually could in reality, as usual..

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Didn’t we hear Tesla is planning on shipping with round wheels, then swapping them out to yokes after NHSTA approves them?

Personally, I think Elon just thought they could deliver much faster than reality, as usual..
Seems like anything you "hear" or "see" online, including on Teslarati, InsideEVs, etc. are almost ALL just speculation as well. I've been communicating via email for the past several weeks with an industry insider, an "EV expert" journalist and quite frankly, even they know absolutely NOTHING (meaning Tesla tells nothing to nobody!) and seriously, it's quite infuriating and frustrating! No leaks, no inside information, no news, no press releases, no sit-down interviews with new information, no press conferences, no statements...NOTHING! 😡

Seems like anything you "hear" or "see" online, including on Teslarati, InsideEVs, etc. are almost ALL just speculation as well. I've been communicating via email for the past several weeks with an industry insider, an "EV expert" journalist and quite frankly, even they know absolutely NOTHING (meaning Tesla tells nothing to nobody!) and seriously, it's quite infuriating and frustrating! No leaks, no inside information, no news, no press releases, no sit-down interviews with new information, no press conferences, no statements...NOTHING! 😡
Pretty much how Apple operates....

Good thought but nah, I've been using my daughter's car for now until I get the MS Plaid. And I alreday test drove the MS Performance a couple weeks ago, so I know what I'm getting into (+ 200 add'l HP/TQ). Funny thing is my Tesla Wall Charger goes in next week, replacing my ChargePoint EV charger I had in our garage for my Jaguar I-Pace...anyone need a slightly used ChargePoint EV 240v plug-in (not hard-wired) charger? 😜
Why did you change the charger?

Pretty much how Apple operates....
Yes and no. The world gets "leaks" and other inside information on every new iPhone, iPad, Mac, and other Apple products months before their release. And, Apple has a very, very active PR Dept and well, their customer service is very, very good. Ever try calling Apple for technical help on any of their products? I've sat on the phone with Apple CS people for hours and we get things resolved, although that in itself can be very frustrating, but the point is that they are very patient and get it done for you...for FREE! Tesla doesn't have this CS.

Want to get the full 44mi per hour of charging capability with the 60amp tesla Wall Charger vs. the 20-25 mi. hour my ChargePoint EV charger does with my current 40amp setup.
I just bought a gen2 to supplement my ChargePoint Flex, even though it does 48amp. Just didn’t want to mess with the adapter any more.

I recognize your handle from Bimmerpost, back in the day.

Reactions: sflgator
I just bought a gen2 to supplement my ChargePoint Flex, even though it does 48amp. Just didn’t want to mess with the adapter any more.

I recognize your handle from Bimmerpost, back in the day.
Ha, yeah that was so like 5 cars ago, haha! 😜 Gosh though...don't even want to go back to the days of Shiv (Procede) vs. Terry (Juicebox), haha. Heck, I traded in my BMW 335i for the MB C63 AMG, and then with the GT-R...it was a whole new level. Now, I'm all EV dude, haha. :cool: Time will tell if I will enjoy my Tesla MS Plaid...guessing YES and hoping I can enjoy for a good 2-3 years, doing 18k mi. per year and not get crushed on the trade-in/resale value after that time and those miles. The hit on my Jaguar I-Pace HSE was devastating and very frustating. This is another main reason why I chose the Tesla MS Plaid...hoping I can still get $80-$90k afetr 2-3 years. I ALMOST went with a new Lucid Air GT, but there were just too many unknowns on a brand new Ev from a brand new EV manufacturer...and of course, now we know it's been delayed. I'm guessing that Lucid won't produce the Air GT (800HP / max battery range > 500 mi.) for at least until the 3rd or 4th QTR, 2021 or possibly maybe after that in 2022. At least we know the Tesla Model S Plaid is coming relatively sooner rather than later and at least we know that Tesla has been proven as an auto manufacturer brand for a decade vs. the unknown of Lucid. I do like the looks of the Lucid Air though and the interior is much more plush with great technology!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: foos and doubleshot
Here's a new spotting. PLAID badging, red brakes, and a Yoke. Looks like a round wheel because it's upside down. I guess this could kill the rumors that the steering ratio is different with the Yoke.

Interesting it's a yoke in another pic. But the wheels are almost straight. Seems odd it'd be upside down in those pics without the wheels turned

He had two sightings apparently. Suspect now.
Screenshot_20210326-222948_Chrome.jpg

Question for everyone...has anyone noticed that when you choose the 21" arachnid wheels, the estimated max battery range is significantly reduced? Not that I mind an estimated 350 mi. for max battery range (if accurate) for my upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid (100 mi. more than my Jaguar I-Pace HSE), but that seems like a very large ~ 40 mi. drop from the est. 390 mi. max battery range with the std 19" wheels. Anyone else think that seems a bit much for the drop in max range? I have to wonder after my first set of Michelin Pilot Sport tires wear out, if I replace with the brand new Michelin Pilot Sport EV tires, how much I could see for increased max battery range?

Attachments

• Model S Plaid now 350 mi Est Max Range + LR at 375 mi.png
    Model S Plaid now 350 mi Est Max Range + LR at 375 mi.png
    439.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Disagree
Reactions: foos and Tdreamer
I agree, but neither proposal has move 1 inch in almost 2 months. I am pretty sure this is going to be an EOY bill.
Biden is supposed to...

...unveil multi-trillion dollar plan targeting power grids, other infrastructure next week (3/32/21)​

That may get the ball moving. Or not.

Although I also read that Chuck Schumer is promoting an idea similar to the “cash for clunkers” rebate where trading in an ice for an “EV” that’s more generous than the current $7,500 EV tax credit program.
Better for the planet. Not much utility for my all electric family trading in one of our Teslas...
I don’t actually need an incentive. No chance I’d ever buy an ICE vehicle again.