Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The development theory seems a bit suspect, because the LR has the old drive train. Presumably, that should be ready to ship.
As is, the mules have shown that the new interior seems to be complete.
On the last investor slides/call didn't they say the drivetrain and battery are totally new, including for the LR? If you look at the graphic of the drivetrain and compare it with the previous one, the battery looks very different and so does the rear motor. The front motor is slightly different.

Reactions: elguapo and Fred42
FWIW, I am trading in a Model 3 and received a quote after placing my reservation. A month later in Feb, that quote expired and I received an email and text informing me my information was incomplete and I needed to update the mileage. Shortly thereafter I received a new quote (actually higher!). A month passes and in March I receive the email and text alerts again that I need to update information in my reservation. This time Tesla asked me to retake the photos of the Model 3 and update the mileage. Here’s the point — weeks have passed and my account still shows my trade in valuation is still in progress and I haven’t received a new trade in offer amount. Additionally, I have not received any new email or text reminders that my reservation needs updating.

Has Tesla put a temporarily freeze on things (credit checks, etc.) while they figure out when production and deliveries will start?
I received a trade in quote today. The website says it is good until May 20.

FWIW, I am trading in a Model 3 and received a quote after placing my reservation. A month later in Feb, that quote expired and I received an email and text informing me my information was incomplete and I needed to update the mileage. Shortly thereafter I received a new quote (actually higher!). A month passes and in March I receive the email and text alerts again that I need to update information in my reservation. This time Tesla asked me to retake the photos of the Model 3 and update the mileage. Here’s the point — weeks have passed and my account still shows my trade in valuation is still in progress and I haven’t received a new trade in offer amount. Additionally, I have not received any new email or text reminders that my reservation needs updating.

Has Tesla put a temporarily freeze on things (credit checks, etc.) while they figure out when production and deliveries will start?

Nope. They ran my credit several times (even without permission) the last 2 weeks. Trade in offer was updated last week. I’d advise to call in and speak to someone to “ping” the trade in team.

Reactions: RMG007
August of which year? ;)
I remember that some cars makers, when introducing a new version in US during the H2 (second half) of the year, used a ".5" such as "VW Passat 2012.5"

However, principally in Europe, where most the production stop in August during the summer break,
the new cars build in September then get the following year 'vintage' name,
I think this was also because of the Paris Motor Show in the fall where cars introduced then would use the following year.

Also cars build in the last quarter and exported over sea, will already use the next year name, as they would arrive around the new year time.

Last edited:
My trade in expired and I waited a couple of days before updating my mileage. It took them all last week before they updated my new valuation. So I bought an extra week before I have to do this again. It went down slightly but renting a car would have cost me more. As far as credit checks. I texted my SA and told them not to do another credit check until they assign me a VIN. I explained that my credit score can't afford another hit. I have spent years building up my credit score and not for Telsa to ruin it while I am patiently waiting for them to build my new MS. To keep on topic: I ordered on Jan 30,2021 (we might need to start putting in the year) MSM LR w/White Interior. If this continues through the summer, it might be a race to see if my MS is built before my Cybertruck.

My trade expired. I renewed until mi-May (yes, stupidly hopeful) and padded the mileage knowing I would put a lot of miles on it. Came back at the same rate as last offer.

My SA called again Monday to chat. He knows we may end of with a couple additional Y's if we are happy with how this S and X go. He spoke with his "higher-ups" and they are still saying mid June for priority and July for new orders. It could have been Tigers Magic 8-Ball...

I do not think that they know anything definitive but it is doable depending on why the delay and when they start back up.

Reactions: Tigers
Perhaps. The most hilarious part of it all, is that it all could be complete bullshit or all be true. My account says July, tesla just told me production starts in June which would corroborate that. Or, both of those things can be bullshit. Hayseed was told last week he was 8 weeks away (roughly mid June) and later orders would be 10-12 weeks, again total bullshit or completely true and matching what I was told above.

Your friend said the delivery window of late April was real, clearly it isn't and couldn't have ever possibly been, especially if they were waiting on the inspections 4/14, and that July is a placeholder date until they have better timelines...now this could still be real but go against what others have been told who have reached out to people internally at Tesla.

Now everyone says all these SAs or store people are just completely full of *sugar*. IDK one told me two weeks ago that July was new to him and against what he had heard (May/June).

Ray4tesla on Twitter tweeted out 2 weeks ago that deliveries were "imminent" hmm, definition of imminent is needed I suppose.

So lots of possibilities here, still feel like nothing adding up and no one has a straight story. Which, ya, for me...I rubbed my magic 8 ball earlier and it still said "July, if you're lucky you POS"
We are all full of complete bullshit!!! That's what makes this train wreck forum so captivating and entertaining. When the truth comes out (if it ever does), we will all be laughing and disappointed at the same time that the train has come to a stop. Nothing to watch here. Move along. LOL!!!

The development theory seems a bit suspect, because the LR has the old drive train. Presumably, that should be ready to ship.
As is, the mules have shown that the new interior seems to be complete.

The skateboard (perhaps, not the suspension) is all new.

I don't think they are that far away--the basic bones of the car are there--the mules are all consistent in shape and design. I think they are tweaking things like reducing Cd, maybe playing with programing for things like acceleration, regeneration, suspension, battery cooling, etc. Elon's tweet about lots of little things to tweak was probably more spot on than we realized.

Yeah - we have seen a few mostly complete cars. Some with wirings out - but that white one from two days ago was complete, had the cords out for what could be the track testing device another user mentioned. The wind tunnel testing was couple of weeks ago now.

I think the only obvious answer is: could go one of two ways: they are at the point where all the numbers look good, or they are going to have to back and re-do some more *sugar*. If it is #2, we aren't getting cars until mid-Q3 or later.

We are all full of complete bullshit!!! That's what makes this train wreck forum so captivating and entertaining. When the truth comes out (if it ever does), we will all be laughing and disappointed at the same time that the train has come to a stop. Nothing to watch here. Move along. LOL!!!

Indeed. I still feel like I should be compensated for every time I shake the magic 8 ball for you guys. Wear and tear is real, you know.

I think the only obvious answer is: could go one of two ways: they are at the point where all the numbers look good, or they are going to have to back and re-do some more *sugar*. If it is #2, we aren't getting cars until mid-Q3 or later.

There might be some middle ground to this--for example they re-design the mirror housing to lower Cd or beef-up the cooling pumps for better flow to support higher draw--will take a reboot of bits of the supply chain without having to start from scratch.

There might be some middle ground to this--for example they re-design the mirror housing to lower Cd or beef-up the cooling pumps for better flow to support higher draw--will take a reboot of bits of the supply chain without having to start from scratch.

What I know of Tesla, this would probable - depends on how drastic the modification.

I do wonder if the changes are more or less all "under the hood" - as we have seen ~a dozen prototypes, but no one has noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Of course, a slightly different diffuser or side view mirror could be done in such a way that it would be hard to compare. But I think if they are track testing it - most certainly the underneath components are involved.

I am an RN1141 and live in Southern California. Ordered last October.
I am a "we will reach out to you" person with no month or date range.
Just curious where others live that have June or July as their delivery time period?
Even though I am super early on the "list", I have heard they deliver the end of quarter to Southern California.
So does this mean if they start delivery in July, I will have to wait until September (end of Q3) to get my car? Even though I ordered it in October?
- Signed a frustrated 1st Tesla buyer

Just curious where others live that have June or July as their delivery time period?
Even though I am super early on the "list", I have heard they deliver the end of quarter to Southern California.
So does this mean if they start delivery in July, I will have to wait until September (end of Q3) to get my car? Even though I ordered it in October?

No sugar, but literally the people down here in Texas tell us that we, along with the East Coast, are last and that California always gets first deliveries. They say for us specifically, its because of the stupid sales law (Tesla cant sell direct) and that they prioritize their closest customers, as it is also their largest market.

Also - supposedly (maybe sugar) if you don't have "july" as your date and your ordered that early, you will be the first in line, but thats assuming "July" isnt bullsugar.

My order is identical except I have an RN1140.

No sugar, but literally the people down here in Texas tell us that we, along with the East Coast, are last and that California always gets first deliveries. They say for us specifically, its because of the stupid sales law (Tesla cant sell direct) and that they prioritize their closest customers, as it is also their largest market.

Also - supposedly (maybe sugar) if you don't have "july" as your date and your ordered that early, you will be the first in line, but thats assuming "July" isnt bullsugar.
That's funny. My SA told me the exact opposite. That east coast gets deliveries first. Hard to know what to believe with this company,

Would there be any information from the crystal ball after Tesla was spotted at Laguna Seca yesterday?
Maybe the performance in real world testing fell short of the claimed performance on the website. But they probably wouldn’t have to do this testing at Laguna Seca so I’m lost.
Edit: or maybe they’re done testing and they want to show us a truly amazing new time, like 1:28..