Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla is likely far more behind in development for reasons many of us have guessed at. Most likely, in my mind, is they’re just behind with their own development. Would Elon hold it back to get lowest Cd, sure. But I think they actually have real issues somewhere - not a yoke, not a chip, etc. It’s major and it’s not just “I want a faster 0-60 time”. Add to this the fact they don’t want to deliver a “second best” car with 0-60 or range and they’re in a pickle. They should probably be looking at Q4 delivery if they want to get it right. That’s my crystal ball.

I think Tesla is likely far more behind in development for reasons many of us have guessed at. Most likely, in my mind, is they’re just behind with their own development. Would Elon hold it back to get lowest Cd, sure. But I think they actually have real issues somewhere - not a yoke, not a chip, etc. It’s major and it’s not just “I want a faster 0-60 time”. Add to this the fact they don’t want to deliver a “second best” car with 0-60 or range and they’re in a pickle. They should probably be looking at Q4 delivery if they want to get it right. That’s my crystal ball.

You're giving Elon too much credit here. He's psycho and ultra competitive. He would absolutely halt all plans to go get another 1% out of the car if it meant beating the competitor. I have no doubt in my mind. Maybe it isn't that, but I wouldn't put my money against it.

I am an RN1141 and live in Southern California. Ordered last October.
I am a "we will reach out to you" person with no month or date range.
Just curious where others live that have June or July as their delivery time period?
Even though I am super early on the "list", I have heard they deliver the end of quarter to Southern California.
So does this mean if they start delivery in July, I will have to wait until September (end of Q3) to get my car? Even though I ordered it in October?
- Signed a frustrated 1st Tesla buyer
This may help. I ordered in December and have a 11431. My info for delivery is the same as yours. I live in Naples. The only update is they moved my delivery to the new Ft Myers facility from Dania Beach. My observation is the July dates ordered around or after the announcement date.

You're giving Elon too much credit here. He's psycho and ultra competitive. He would absolutely halt all plans to go get another 1% out of the car if it meant beating the competitor. I have no doubt in my mind. Maybe it isn't that, but I wouldn't put my money against it

My theory is still the 9.23 at 155 was a miscalculation and they didn’t realize it until later tests that they were way off. If the plaid did 145 in testing, that would be considered way off. Maybe sorting it out has caused the delays and of course they wouldn’t talk about it.
This is specific to the plaid so why haven’t they released the LR while sorting the tri motor ? I don’t have a good answer.

Reactions: TNGuy99
My theory is still the 9.23 at 155 was a miscalculation and they didn’t realize it until later tests that they were way off. If the plaid did 145 in testing, that would be considered way off. Maybe sorting it out has caused the delays and of course they wouldn’t talk about it.
This is specific to the plaid so why haven’t they released the LR while sorting the tri motor ? I don’t have a good answer.

That's why I don't believe this theory. The changes or issues are to both cars. The LR was the one being wind tunnel tested when that guy happen to run in to the Tesla people.

Last edited:

exactly my thought - maybe they're trying to figure out how to shave a few seconds.=

I cant believe at this point they're still doing testing on the track (or even the road). So maybe its not a production issue, maybe it is higher upstream in design.

Refresh S looks wide body. Once you start seeing it on the roads you'll be able to tell the difference
I posted several pictures earlier in this thread of a refresh S at a supercharger. I also saw it parked directly next to another Model S as it was supercharging. All this talk about a noticeable difference in width didn’t exist in real life. I’m not sure where all this speculation started about the wide body appearance.

We know first iterations are going to have some type of issues and the software might have some bugs that need to be ironed out over time.
Just remember that early S had its share of, um, quirks. But, because it was an overwhelmingly good package and service at the time was amazing, it made it easy to overlook.

Would Elon hold it back to get lowest Cd, sure. But I think they actually have real issues somewhere
Agree

That's why I don't believe this theory. The charges or issues are to both cars. The LR was the one being wind tunnel tested when that guy happen to run in to the Tesla people.
Is it possible they had to increase the size of the battery in the plaid so they also increased the battery in the LR? Maybe they want to keep the cars the same except the LR has 2 motors and the plaid 3🤔- even 5-10kw

I posted several pictures earlier in this thread of a refresh S at a supercharger. I also saw it parked directly next to another Model S as it was supercharging. All this talk about a noticeable difference in width didn’t exist in real life. I’m not sure where all this speculation started about the wide body appearance.
My skepticism comes from the effort required for new tooling of the fenders and quarter panel sheet metal just to flare them. The side by side photo evidence is far from convincing. I am convinced that the wheels are wider and offset much closer to flush. This change of stance makes the car much sportier and aggressive looking but can be achieved completely with wheel width, offset, and ride height changes. It's the basis of the aftermarket wheel business.

Reactions: omarsultan
This a bit counter-intuitive and I’m curious if I’m alone here.

The longer this goes on, I’m feeling more & more likely to delay delivery. I originally thought this was a moderate refresh. And I still don’t see enough changes that justify these kinds of delays.

But at 4 months [and counting] of zero real production, I now suspect there’s some structural issues here. We’re increasingly likely to see some of the classic Tesla growing pains & inconsistent quality. I’m not prepared to deal with that for 90k-100k, so I’ll probably wait 3-6 months for them to iron things out. Or just order M3P instead.

My skepticism comes from the effort required for new tooling of the fenders and quarter panel sheet metal just to flare them. The side by side photo evidence is far from convincing. I am convinced that the wheels are wider and offset much closer to flush. This change of stance makes the car much sportier and aggressive looking but can be achieved completely with wheel width, offset, and ride height changes. It's the basis of the aftermarket wheel business.
I absolutely agree with all of those points. The current Model S already has a flared appearance in the rear and the larger tires and different offset just accentuates that and makes it appear more aggressive.

Is it possible they had to increase the size of the battery in the plaid so they also increased the battery in the LR? Maybe they want to keep the cars the same except the LR has 2 motors and the plaid 3🤔- even 5-10kw

God I hope so. If we get a car in 2 months with all the same specs then we will know something was really wrong lol. But the thing I can't get over is that this guy said deliveries were starting in 2 to 3 weeks in January. It's not like in November they asked him and he said it would probably be around February, he made a statement that deliveries were expected mid to late February that was only a few weeks after that point in time, now for him to say something in such a very short amount of time about a product refresh tells me they thought they were at the end and then something either went really wrong or he called it off.

I mean he's completely wrong about random timelines when he's talking about 6 months in advance or a year in advance things like that, but we were talking literal a couple of weeks when production should have started.

If it were the permits why are they just now at laguna seca/wind tunnels. That's why my money is on a product thing and I think he got wind of some stuff and called it. Otherwise you'd have to think all the testing was done and validation before the announcement.

Extremely odd, even for Tesla.

Last edited:
God I hope so. If we get a car in 2 months with all the same specs then we will know something was really wrong lol. But the thing I can't get over is that this guy said deliveries were starting in 2 to 3 weeks in January. It's not like in November they asked him and he said it would probably be around February, he made a statement that deliveries were expected mid to late February that was only a few weeks after that point in time, now for him to say something in such a very short amount of time about a product refresh tells me they thought they were at the end and then something either went really wrong or he called it off.

I mean he's completely wrong about random timelines when he's talking about 6 months in advance or a year in advance things like that, but we were talking literal a couple of weeks when production should have started.

If it were the permits why are they just now at laguna seca/wind tunnels. That's why my money is on a product thing and I think he got wind of some stuff and called it. Otherwise, again, why all the performance testing?

TBH, Elon seems disconnected from the Model S and X refresh. When he was on Rogen's podcast, he refrained from talking details of the Yoke, and refresh in general. Just appeared like he wasn't in the weeds on this one, which is perfectly justified. He's focused on long term products like FSD, TEsla domination etc.

The simple explanation could be that he was misinformed on the refresh and launch dates. I haven't checked, was there any documentation that said delivery to start in February or just Elon talking.

Reactions: petergy
You're giving Elon too much credit here. He's psycho and ultra competitive. He would absolutely halt all plans to go get another 1% out of the car if it meant beating the competitor. I have no doubt in my mind. Maybe it isn't that, but I wouldn't put my money against it.
I don't see this as likely given how much they focus on continuous incremental upgrades. I feel like they'd ship them if production was ready and hitting their already established specs.

Reactions: elguapo
That car is definitely a car to keep an eye on but not when they first release it. We know first iterations are going to have some type of issues and the software might have some bugs that need to be ironed out over time. After 2-3 years I could see people going from Tesla to lucid if everything is on par with Tesla by then. They have a really talented team at lucid it’s just about them putting the product out and addressing the issues that’ll come up after release
And hopefully Tesla realizes that they have the head start right now. If they continue to do things like this (keeping customers in the dark and under-delivering on promises) they will make people WANT to go somewhere else. They are the leaders and it isn't hard to stay there if you recognize that you HAVE to keep your customers happy. Otherwise you create a vacuum for companies like Lucid to come in and fill. Here's hoping to them turning it around and not just shifting to being an economy EV and battery producer