Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I'll leave it at this - maybe your source has no idea what the hell is going on and/or is getting bad info from whoever is full of sugar out in Fremont.

You had a post confirming a delivery window of April 18-27 and then literally a day or two later it became July. Then you said you heard deliveries were supposed to start "in the coming month" at the beginning of April. then you said you heard they were expecting an update last week. Then you said you heard it was the failed inspections (after they failed and it was posted on here). Then it was the info was delayed and now it's "they aren't expecting any info this week"...

I mean, you can see a cause for raised eyebrows, right? But, again, I'll throw ya a bone and say that the possibility of your source spinning in circles with all sorts of changed directions and communications certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: TheOx
I'll leave it at this - maybe your source has no idea what the hell is going on and/or is getting bad info from whoever is full of sugar out in Fremont.

You had a post confirming a delivery window of April 18-27 and then literally a day or two later it became July. Then you said you heard deliveries were supposed to start "in the coming month" at the beginning of April. then you said you heard they were expecting an update last week. Then you said you heard it was the failed inspections (after they failed and it was posted on here). Then it was the info was delayed and now it's "they aren't expecting any info this week"...

I mean, you can see a cause for raised eyebrows, right? But, again, I'll throw ya a bone and say that the possibility of your source spinning in circles with all sorts of changed directions and communications certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Sure, definitely raise the eyebrows if needed. The window from April 18-27th was confirmed by my buddy, the OP had his RN number in plain sight. Anyone probably could have called with that RN number and received the same info I did that it had a delivery window for April. Why it was moved to July I have no idea and neither does my buddy up in Fremont. Actually, during one of his meetings, they discussed the "July" window and someone mentioned that it was just a placeholder to sort those configs/locations out. Not every car/config/location has the same date. A black car can have a very different date than a white car ordered on the same date.

I believe he is in the predicament as we are trying to piece together what is actually going on. It's hard to gauge especially when the CEO says one thing and it turns out that it isn't the case at all, without proper communication as to why.

I'm on this thread for one reason. To be informed and to inform, if the opportunity presents itself. I have nothing to gain by making stuff up. Literally nothing to gain.

P.S. Follow my instagram @... Just kidding.

Whats the chance that nothing is said about dely or when deliveries will start during call?
Very slim chance in my opinion. If the analysts are any good, they should be all over Tesla about the refresh in order to provide delivery estimates for the next few quarters. It's sad that Bitcoin will probably be discussed more than the refresh.

Sure, definitely raise the eyebrows if needed. The window from April 18-27th was confirmed by my buddy, the OP had his RN number in plain sight. Anyone probably could have called with that RN number and received the same info I did that it had a delivery window for April. Why it was moved to July I have no idea and neither does my buddy up in Fremont. Actually, during one of his meetings, they discussed the "July" window and someone mentioned that it was just a placeholder to sort those configs/locations out. Not every car/config/location has the same date. A black car can have a very different date than a white car ordered on the same date.

I believe he is in the predicament as we are trying to piece together what is actually going on. It's hard to gauge especially when the CEO says one thing and it turns out that it isn't the case at all, without proper communication as to why.

I'm on this thread for one reason. To be informed and to inform, if the opportunity presents itself. I have nothing to gain by making stuff up. Literally nothing to gain.

P.S. Follow my instagram @... Just kidding.

Perhaps. The most hilarious part of it all, is that it all could be complete bullshit or all be true. My account says July, tesla just told me production starts in June which would corroborate that. Or, both of those things can be bullshit. Hayseed was told last week he was 8 weeks away (roughly mid June) and later orders would be 10-12 weeks, again total bullshit or completely true and matching what I was told above.

Your friend said the delivery window of late April was real, clearly it isn't and couldn't have ever possibly been, especially if they were waiting on the inspections 4/14, and that July is a placeholder date until they have better timelines...now this could still be real but go against what others have been told who have reached out to people internally at Tesla.

Now everyone says all these SAs or store people are just completely full of *sugar*. IDK one told me two weeks ago that July was new to him and against what he had heard (May/June).

Ray4tesla on Twitter tweeted out 2 weeks ago that deliveries were "imminent" hmm, definition of imminent is needed I suppose.

So lots of possibilities here, still feel like nothing adding up and no one has a straight story. Which, ya, for me...I rubbed my magic 8 ball earlier and it still said "July, if you're lucky you POS"

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
I just chatted with someone who's partner works on the Model 3 and they said they are still developing the S and no news yet on when they will finish and put it in to production.
This fits with the Laguna Seca story.

Maybe they will be 2022 model year, with sales starting sometime in the 2nd half of 2021.

I hope Tesla is really on top of development of the CT so they can start with the production ramp as soon as Austin is ready, even if the ramp is initially slow.

I just chatted with someone who's partner works on the Model 3 and they said they are still developing the S and no news yet on when they will finish and put it in to production.

Assume they can't say what and or why exactly a car that was supposed to be in production 60 days ago now has an unknown timeline?

I guess the corroborates Sam's friends story, except he wasn't saying July was a placeholder and orders are going to be sooner than that, what he really meant was "we have no ****ing idea if or when we will launch this thing" 😂😂😂

I mean explains a lot. The estimated delivery timelines not moving on the website, the silence, the testing. They aren't close as has been suggested multiple times.

What a joke, all around.

This fits with the Laguna Seca story.

Maybe they will be 2022 model year, with sales starting sometime in the 2nd half of 2021.

I hope Tesla is really on top of development of the CT so they can start with the production ramp as soon as Austin is ready, even if the ramp is initially slow.
I love your optimism on cybertruck. Isn't it dependent on batteries that aren't in volume production yet?

I love your optimism on cybertruck. Isn't it dependent on batteries that aren't in volume production yet?
CT is supposed to use 4680's that will also be made in Austin. That plant also needs to ramp but there are unknowns including when the on-site lithium refinery and the NC lithium mine will be operating and whether they can buy sufficient refined lithium in the meantime. Also will Tesla buy 4680's from a supplier and if so will they initially go the CT? Is the CT designed so that early production can use 2170's made in Sparks or purchased from a supplier? Lots of unknowns. But I'm looking forward to my CT.

I don't think they are that far away--the basic bones of the car are there--the mules are all consistent in shape and design. I think they are tweaking things like reducing Cd, maybe playing with programing for things like acceleration, regeneration, suspension, battery cooling, etc. Elon's tweet about lots of little things to tweak was probably more spot on than we realized.

(Note: I’ll freely admit that this is second hand info, so please be gentle... just innocently passing along info that I found interesting)

Hey all, just thought I would pass along some info I got on Thursday from a friend who is high up with a leading chip supplier (cough... NXP) and specializes in autonomous vehicles.

Anyways, he was in a meeting with other execs at said chip supplier and one of his colleagues had to step out of the room for a bit. Upon returning, the colleague said that he had to take a call from Musk who was asking (begging?) for 50K chips to be delivered in March. But given the chip shortage (and I had no idea just how bad it was until chatting with this person) the best they could do was delivering TSLA 5K chips in August.

I had just told him I finally took the plunge and ordered a refreshed MX on 1/28. He had no idea whether his tidbit was related to my delay, but was more speaking to just how dire the situation is with regard to the worldwide shortage of chips. My brain couldn’t help but link the two since MS deliveries were originally to start in March, but that could totally be me jumping to conclusions.

In any case, hearing that part about August made my heart sink a bit. I, just like everyone here, truly hope we’ll be surprised and start seeing VINs flowing freely in the next few weeks. But after hearing his story, I have begun to manage expectations and settle in for the long(er) haul.

Either way, on a personal note, you all have become my support group in this long wait for my first Tesla! For that, I thank you (as does my girlfriend who is beyond tired of hearing me talk about it)!

Have a great Sunday, friends!

(6 seat, pearl white LR MX with 22” Turbine Wheels and FSD ordered on 1/28... Estimated delivery shows as April, for now)
If Chips were in short supply, production constrained, prudent business practices would dictate putting them in higher margin cars like the S & X Plaid.

Honestly if there was any proper competition I would have got something else. They didn't even reach out to me once the refresh was out because the guy I was talking to had left the company (give his clients to the new person or distribute them?? This is basic stuff). The world's supply chains are messed up, we get that, but just send an email once in a while that shows you actually give a damn though.

I just chatted with someone who's partner works on the Model 3 and they said they are still developing the S and no news yet on when they will finish and put it in to productions
This is really an embarrassment for Tesla. Like is this sh*t really happening? Not because of the delays... because they said the cars were being produced 3 months ago and now in late April, they’re still testing at Laguna Seca lmao...
Hate to say it, this car won’t be in my driveway until September (best case.)

Reactions: elguapo
FWIW, I am trading in a Model 3 and received a quote after placing my reservation. A month later in Feb, that quote expired and I received an email and text informing me my information was incomplete and I needed to update the mileage. Shortly thereafter I received a new quote (actually higher!). A month passes and in March I receive the email and text alerts again that I need to update information in my reservation. This time Tesla asked me to retake the photos of the Model 3 and update the mileage. Here’s the point — weeks have passed and my account still shows my trade in valuation is still in progress and I haven’t received a new trade in offer amount. Additionally, I have not received any new email or text reminders that my reservation needs updating.

Has Tesla put a temporarily freeze on things (credit checks, etc.) while they figure out when production and deliveries will start?

FWIW, I am trading in a Model 3 and received a quote after placing my reservation. A month later in Feb, that quote expired and I received an email and text informing me my information was incomplete and I needed to update the mileage. Shortly thereafter I received a new quote (actually higher!). A month passes and in March I receive the email and text alerts again that I need to update information in my reservation. This time Tesla asked me to retake the photos of the Model 3 and update the mileage. Here’s the point — weeks have passed and my account still shows my trade in valuation is still in progress and I haven’t received a new trade in offer amount. Additionally, I have not received any new email or text reminders that my reservation needs updating.

Has Tesla put a temporarily freeze on things (credit checks, etc.) while they figure out when production and deliveries will start?
Seems like it and they should put everything on hold.. Simply unfreeze when production actually starts.