Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Genuine question, if Tesla gives me the same trade-in value as other dealers, should it matter what they do with the car after I get paid? 🤔 In theory, this would let them offer higher trade-in values because they have a potential up sell to FSD again on the other side.
It feels like you shouldn't care, but they're also treating themselves like a third party making modifications to the car. Their ability to add/remove it let's them do whatever is best for them (which is their prerogative), but doesn't seem fair when they're the ones that took your money in the first place.

If you think about it, them adding FSD to trade-ins without it is their way of forcing more FSD purchases while selling it at a discount. They take a trade-in, add FSD, increase the car price by $4K, then it's sold. That's one more FSD license, $4K of revenue, etc.

Reactions: HumanInput
Not sure I see much difference... 2018 on the right
1622049964845.png

It feels like you shouldn't care, but they're also treating themselves like a third party making modifications to the car. Their ability to add/remove it let's them do whatever is best for them (which is their prerogative), but doesn't seem fair when they're the ones that took your money in the first place.

If you think about it, them adding FSD to trade-ins without it is their way of forcing more FSD purchases while selling it at a discount. They take a trade-in, add FSD, increase the car price by $4K, then it's sold. That's one more FSD license, $4K of revenue, etc.
That's why Tesla has the market cap of TM+F+GM+BMW+VW combined doh, just beating the dead horse tbh

Who remembers TiVo (in days of yore)? You could pay monthly (subscription) or purchase lifetime, but lifetime was tied to that machine. It did not transfer when you purchased a "new and improved" TiVo. That made people think long and hard before upgrading. Tesla is following the same model.

Maybe Tesla will eventually offer transferable FSD, but that would cost a huge premium, no doubt.

P.S. Today, after having an August delivery date for weeks since everybody was changed from July, my account shows June 1-30. LR/Red/Cream/21"/FSD/San Diego/1-27-21

Reactions: T-Racer
Who remembers TiVo (in days of yore)? You could pay monthly (subscription) or purchase lifetime, but lifetime was tied to that machine. It did not transfer when you purchased a "new and improved" TiVo. That made people think long and hard before upgrading. Tesla is following the same model.

Maybe Tesla will eventually offer transferable FSD, but that would cost a huge premium, no doubt.

P.S. Today, after having an August delivery date for weeks since everybody was changed from July, my account shows June 1-30. LR/Red/Cream/21"/FSD/San Diego/1-27-21
The way I swap cars I would "probably" pay a nice premium to have FSD follow me and not my car

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd

Tesla is gonna do what they are going to do. Logic and precedent has nothing to do with it. Elon's whims and share price driving the boat.

And a small time shareholder like me is part of the problem. If I really don't like where Tesla has been headed, I should sell all my shares, but, greed.

Would not surprise me if delivery day is a good watch, but they only deliver another delivery date, a little more solid than "Soon"

This actually explains why you had to clarify TiVo with “in days of yore”. Why should it cost a huge premium? Makes zero sense. They can instead charge a upgrade fee for major version updates. This is anti-consumer period.

Reactions: AnselmDante
So...the short cable charger has been sold out for quite some time now on the Tesla sight. As August is approaching, I'm starting to get a little nervous about actually having the charger installed in time. Think maybe it's time to call an electrician, and have everything else done before the charger becomes available?
Does your garage have a 240 V plug (RV plug / NEMA 10-50) you could easily live with that for as long as necessary!

So...the short cable charger has been sold out for quite some time now on the Tesla sight. As August is approaching, I'm starting to get a little nervous about actually having the charger installed in time. Think maybe it's time to call an electrician, and have everything else done before the charger becomes available?
Or you can go to Cabela’s buy some camping gear and setup shop near a Supercharger 😀.

• Funny
Reactions: AnselmDante
I like the Tesla wall connector, but it isn't really necessary for charging a single vehicle. I have two wall connectors that I use to charge multiple EV's concurrently. The Tesla wall connectors I have are great at this because they communicate with each other and adjust the voltage to the maximum I can charge on both cars at the same time.

For a single EV, you should be just fine with a Nema 14-50 dryer receptacle and the charger that comes with the car. The only reason to pay extra for the Tesla wall connector is if you need to charge your car faster. Using a 14-50 receptacle with the mobile connector will allow you to charge at 32 Amps on a 50 amp breaker or approximately 23 miles per hour for the Model S. The Tesla Wall connector will charge at 48 amps on a 60 amp breaker and approx 34 miles per hour.

Nema 14-50 Home Depot

Tesla Mobile Connector

Last edited:
Does your garage have a 240 V plug (RV plug / NEMA 10-50) you could easily live with that for as long as necessary!
I'm not sure. I have a twist lock plug that is used for the generator during power outages. The guy I bought the house from was the poster child for bad handy man, so I can't trust that thing just by what it looks like (I had to modify the generator cord because he used the wrong gender for the wall). I can take a look at that one. Problem is it's a good 25 feet from where the car plug will be.

Reactions: T-Racer