Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This actually explains why you had to clarify TiVo with “in days of yore”. Why should it cost a huge premium? Makes zero sense. They can instead charge a upgrade fee for major version updates. This is anti-consumer period.
IDK, I always thought my dealer wanting hundreds of dollars to upgrade maps was majorly anti-consumer. The Tesla approach of buying it just once seems like an improvement. It is likely helping resale values too really.

I do think most manufacturers are going to use subscription based pricing for these features in the future, though. It seems like they are already laying the groundwork for that plan.

I'm not sure. I have a twist lock plug that is used for the generator during power outages. The guy I bought the house from was the poster child for bad handy man, so I can't trust that thing just by what it looks like (I have to modify the generator cord because he used the wrong gender for the wall). I can take a look at that one. Problem is it's a good 25 feet from where the car plug will be.

Tesla has a list of "recommended" electricians. I called them and a couple others for estimate. The one they recommended was actually the cheapest. They can also supply the charger itself (at a small upcharge) if needed. I bought my own but they had them in stock. So you are having trouble finding one - an electrician may stock them.

Last edited:
IDK, I always thought my dealer wanting hundreds of dollars to upgrade maps was majorly anti-consumer. The Tesla approach of buying it just once seems like an improvement. It is likely helping resale values too really.

I do think most manufacturers are going to use subscription based pricing for these features in the future, though. It seems like they are already laying the groundwork for that plan.
My wife had a 2011 Highlander. A few years after we bought it, they wanted several hundred dollars to update the maps. We laughed so hard and just took out the iPhone.

Edit: My wife just informed me her father updated his iPhone, and now he can't connect to his BMW. BMW quoted him at over $1000 to upgrade the car software so he can use his phone again...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: T-Racer and jsight
I'm not sure. I have a twist lock plug that is used for the generator during power outages. The guy I bought the house from was the poster child for bad handy man, so I can't trust that thing just by what it looks like (I have to modify the generator cord because he used the wrong gender for the wall). I can take a look at that one. Problem is it's a good 25 feet from where the car plug will be.
Understood, still if you have the breaker panel space, I would have electrician run the NEMA 10-50 plug to where you would want the Wall Connector with the right gauge for final install.
Then you just swap out breaker (if needed) and install the wall connector in the place of the plug.
I typically have at least one 240 V plug in my garage so I would keep the plug (if service panel allows).

As a seller, you don't care what they do to the car after it's sold.
As an individual, you probably do not care. However, as a community, if brokers/dealers start to feel like they cannot predictably recoup the cost of paying extra for FSD on the trade, they will not price it into the trade offer. If Tesla than uses data from brokers to benchmark their offers, it becomes self-reinforcing.

Who remembers TiVo (in days of yore)? You could pay monthly (subscription) or purchase lifetime, but lifetime was tied to that machine. It did not transfer when you purchased a "new and improved" TiVo. That made people think long and hard before upgrading. Tesla is following the same model.
Well, yeah, but two major differences: 1) the price points are very different, and 2) the Tivo did what it was expected to do out of the box, they did not sell the box based on futures.

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I have a twist lock plug that is used for the generator during power outages. The guy I bought the house from was the poster child for bad handy man, so I can't trust that thing just by what it looks like (I had to modify the generator cord because he used the wrong gender for the wall). I can take a look at that one. Problem is it's a good 25 feet from where the car plug will be.
I would have an electrician check things out--you don't want to charge off a plug that has sloppy connections or the wrong gauge wire.

One approach would be in install a NEMA 14-50 plug, order the NEMA 14-50 UMC adapter from the Tesla store, and use the UMC that will come with your car to charge until the HPWC becomes available. When you get the HPWC, have your electrician swap the 14-50 outlet and the HWPC, which should be trivial at that point.

I would have an electrician check things out--you don't want to charge off a plug that has sloppy connections or the wrong gauge wire.

Yup. Be careful. The Wall Commectirs are pretty smart. We’ve had two in for almost 4 years. They stopped working recently and started the Cylon red eye thingy when our PowerWalls were installed. Ground Fault. Loose connection at the new panel. Easy fix for an electrician.

No but it sure doesn’t say “being delivered with the new Tesla Vision” software like its being hyped with the 3 and Y. Tesla “Masters of Omission”, it’s kind of katchy
Your continued anger about these so called “missing features” on the Model S is nonsensical.

Tesla has announced that new 3/Y owners will be the beta testers and will be forced to live with reduced functionality during the transition to Tesla Vision.

For a short period during this transition, cars with Tesla Vision may be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:

• Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 75 mph and a longer minimum following distance.
  • Smart Summon (if equipped) and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance may be disabled at delivery.
In the weeks ahead, we’ll start restoring these features via a series of over-the-air software updates.

So what exactly are you upset about? That Model S owners don’t have the privilege of this reduced functionality! When Tesla Vision is available without reduced functionality, it will be seamlessly added to your car via an over the air update that will disable the radar.

This is a nonissue that I can only assume is because of a misunderstanding on your part.

Last edited:
Who remembers TiVo (in days of yore)? You could pay monthly (subscription) or purchase lifetime, but lifetime was tied to that machine. It did not transfer when you purchased a "new and improved" TiVo. That made people think long and hard before upgrading. Tesla is following the same model.

Maybe Tesla will eventually offer transferable FSD, but that would cost a huge premium, no doubt.

P.S. Today, after having an August delivery date for weeks since everybody was changed from July, my account shows June 1-30. LR/Red/Cream/21"/FSD/San Diego/1-27-21
Great. My order is the same date, haven’t had an estimated delivery date for a while. Said June 1-30 until two weekends ago, since then blank. The only significant difference is I didn’t pay $14,500 extra for 21s and FSD. It really sucks to be paying over $80k for a car and be treated like the unwanted stepchild. 😡

Your continued anger about these so called “missing features” on the Model S is nonsensical.

Tesla has announced that new 3/Y owners will be the beta testers and will be forced to live with reduced functionality during the transition to Tesla Vision.

For a short period during this transition, cars with Tesla Vision may be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:

• Autosteer will be limited to a maximum speed of 75 mph and a longer minimum following distance.
  • Smart Summon (if equipped) and Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance may be disabled at delivery.
In the weeks ahead, we’ll start restoring these features via a series of over-the-air software updates.

So what exactly are you upset about? That Model S owners don’t have the privilege of this reduced functionality! When Tesla Vision is available without reduced functionality it will be seamlessly added to your car via an over the air update that will disable the radar.

My only potential issue would be if we are shipped with hardware that we would need to have upgraded shortly to use the vision only. There is NO evidence to support this and it appears it will only effect our software which will be a OTA update. There may be an obsolete radar system after the update - think of it as the car's appendix. So I agree with EVOnly that this is a nothingburger.

Since we are trotting out our Tesla source, had an exchange with someone I know fairly far up the food chain. She led me to believe the June deliveries for Plaids are a very real thing and is the reason I switched yesterday. I consider her to be 100% reliable.

After seeing all those LR MS’ from the drone footage I am holding out hope to see my 1/1/21 ordered LR delivered on June as well.

Have had a “blank” for delivery date for quite a while

Since we are trotting out our Tesla source, had an exchange with someone I know fairly far up the food chain. She led me to believe the June deliveries for Plaids are a very real thing and is the reason I switched yesterday. I consider her to be 100% reliable.
Same reason why I switched two days ago. My "June" delivery estimate is gone and there is nothing there, but with the many changes in the last few weeks, I will wait until June 3rd for an update before speculating.

Reactions: T-Racer