Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all you peacockers blowing an extra $40k for the Plaid to get to 60 in .2 seconds faster, the hilarious part is that it seems literally non of the commoners can even tell the difference between which cars are plaid and which aren't. Talk about a waste of money! Now you won't even be able to peacock!
I could care less what other people think about the car I'm driving. To me, it's what makes me happy. Besides, I love how so many people keep making up their own numbers ("0.2 sec faster" and such as if that's accurate) perhaps to actually justify to themselves ordering the LR instead of the Plaid? ALL these EVs are crazy expensive so some can afford to order and drive the Plaid while others cannot and some just didn't want/need the extra power and speed of the Plaid so the LR is more than adequate!

Not knocking you personally, but it's funny to me that some near-future MS LR drivers are like, "oh the Plaid isn't that much quicker" and "oh you all just wasted an extra $40k" or "few can tell the difference between the MS LR and the Plaid." Um, I wholeheartedly disagree; to each his/her own and 99% of the media stories on the "Refresh Model S" and "new (performance) records set," etc. are all about the refresh MS Plaid, not the LR...gee, I wonder why that is? 🤔

Don’t assume people are only buying the Plaid for the prestige value, or as you say for peacocking purposes. I’m still on the fence and haven’t decided if I think the Plaid is worth the extra money. As you say, it is a significant sum to pay for the limited differentiation that is not readily noticeable.

For me, I would consider the Plaid knowing that I am purchasing the fastest production car in the world at a fraction of the cost of its ICE hypercar counterparts. It is all about performance and not about impressing people with a badge or showing people that I dropped an extra $40k. I would actually de-badge the car and have no desire advertising that I’m driving a Plaid. It’s about knowing that I own the highest performance model and never wanting for more.

I’m just the kind of guy that always wants the best of something and usually end up regretting it when there is another version that offers some additional performance or features that I didn’t buy. Money is relative and we are not all in the same place financially. To some people $40k is a years salary and to others it might be a single day in the market. Don’t knock other people’s choices because your financial situation might dictate that the extra $40k is a foolish decision. We all derive value from different things and there is no reason for you to bash other people for making a decision that might affect them in a different way.

I keep waffling and haven’t yet decided if it would be a foolish decision in my situation. I’m waiting until Thursday to see if there are any additional features we haven’t yet heard about. I’m sure I would be happy with either version.
Well said. :cool:

What tesla texted me after months of silence:

"Looks like model S is set for production in the Sept -Nov time frame. As soon as anything updates ill let you know!"

As we already know, they don't know much of anything. Hopefully we'll have a better idea by June 10th.

Run and signed by a friendly man in denim. Sorry if this was already posted, there’s only so many “it was this and now it’s this, now what?” posts I can handle.

26AE7339-9AF5-4F46-8C19-5E45CB410BA0.jpeg

Last edited:
I understand why people want the plaid. The extra speed and all. But for an extra 40k I would want it to look noticeably hotter. With only Painted calipers and a spoiler to differentiate the 2 vehicles, makes the plaid look the same as LR. An S Mercedes is a nice car but when you pay for the AMG S model, it looks like a really awesome car. You can tell it’s special just by seeing it.

but if you love the extra acceleration, I do get it. I have owned many sports cars. For myself I am buying this more for owning a nice sedan. If LR was 0-60 in 4 seconds, it wouldn’t have deterred me. I have owned very fast cars that didn’t do 3.1 seconds.
both models are outstanding values for the performance you receive. Buy what you like and can afford. To debate this is silly. People buy what they prefer.

Last edited:
Why the need to bash other people's choices? I don't understand. My comment applies to either group disrespecting the other.
Mark

@lbowroom , @EVonly , @sflgator

Y'all took a joke targeted at people who keep calling LR, "Plaid" way too personally 😂😂😂

It was just sarcasm. Now, based on that reaction, I really do wonder how insecure you all feel about your purchase... 😂🤔

Perhaps it wasn't as much of a joke as I thought! I'm sure the Plaid will have some other cool features for the price, but if you are all that insecure about it, maybe you should join us peasants in the LR line. 😊

Don’t assume people are only buying the Plaid for the prestige value, or as you say for peacocking purposes. I’m still on the fence and haven’t decided if I think the Plaid is worth the extra money. As you say, it is a significant sum to pay for the limited differentiation that is not readily noticeable.

For me, I would consider the Plaid knowing that I am purchasing the fastest production car in the world at a fraction of the cost of its ICE hypercar counterparts. It is all about performance and not about impressing people with a badge or showing people that I dropped an extra $40k. I would actually de-badge the car and have no desire advertising that I’m driving a Plaid. It’s about knowing that I own the highest performance model and never wanting for more.

I’m just the kind of guy that always wants the best of something and usually end up regretting it when there is another version that offers some additional performance or features that I didn’t buy. Money is relative and we are not all in the same place financially. To some people $40k is a years salary and to others it might be a single day in the market. Don’t knock other people’s choices because your financial situation might dictate that the extra $40k is a foolish decision. We all derive value from different things and there is no reason for you to bash other people for making a decision that might affect them in a different way.

I keep waffling and haven’t yet decided if it would be a foolish decision in my situation. I’m waiting until Thursday to see if there are any additional features we haven’t yet heard about. I’m sure I would be happy with either version.
The most important thing to me is a beautiful car that doesn’t need gas and gets great range. Everything else is a bonus.

Y'all took a joke targeted at people who keep calling LR, "Plaid" way too personally 😂😂😂

It was just sarcasm. Now, based on that reaction, I really do wonder how insecure you all feel about your purchase... 😂😂😂🤔🤔🤔

Perhaps it wasn't as much of a joke as I thought! I'm sure the Plaid will have some other cool features for the price, but if you are all that insecure about it, maybe you should join us peasants in the LR line. 😊
Yeah yeah, the old "oh I was only kidding" defense, lol. :rolleyes: 😜 Nobody's feelings are hurt; it's just getting old with the MS LR vs Plaid arguments.

Material is cheap. Labor is expensive. The markup to get to $1300 is beyond reasonable. They saw “Telsa” and decided you had money they wanted. Get another quote.
Not so. I'm in NY and the material costs have gone up over 30% in the last year. Have you seen the price of 2 x 4's in Home depot/ lowes? Last year ~ $4 now $9+. Copper is even worse. And if they have to go through a hot as hell attic then as you stated your labor cost goes way up.
Yeah. Im in the business and both have gone up on average of 30% over just the past 3-4 months. Wood being the exception with has actually tripled in some parts of the country. I could write pages on this but I digress. My concern for the team here is they get a fair price and not a price assocaited with the name “Tesla”.

If you are getting the wall connector and and parts and labor for between $1300-1700 that is more reasonable but in general:

100ft of 6/3 wire wholesale is $250
60A gfci breaker is $90.
Misc parts for panel wiring and wall penetrations: $30

material costs wholesale: ~$370

labor these days is running $40-65 an hour for an electrician. This install is a 1/2 day job max. 2 people.

$320 to 520 labor

10%-20% markup for Overhead and profit.

For a 100ft install (which is a fairly long distance for install) you should be looking at $750 to $1100 without the connector. With the connector add $500 but I assume installers are getting a wholesale price from Tesla of around $420.
Good luck to all.

It was just sarcasm. Now, based on that reaction, I really do wonder how insecure you all feel about your purchase... 😂🤔

I am one of those peasants in the LR line and have been there with you since the first week of February. However, I like to straddle both lines to see which side gets called first. Is that wrong?

Reactions: Maximus023
What tesla texted me after months of silence:

"Looks like model S is set for production in the Sept -Nov time frame. As soon as anything updates ill let you know!"

As we already know, they don't know much of anything. Hopefully we'll have a better idea by June 10th.

And further evidence the SAs don’t know d**k. We all know they’re being built. We have eyes.

I’d rather get a prostate exam than listen to an SAs nonsense at this point.

Just an update for our Tesla Anonymous therapy sessions.

1/22 order date (RN1144)
Arachnid, black/black, FSD
LA delivery

Has not moved from "June" for the last 7-10 days. Still says June as of writing this.

Godspeed.
im sure there will be aftermarket options in a bit for that change.
Super helpful for everyone if y’all could put your order details in your signature or under your profile pic.View attachment 669818
I certainly agree but I still can’t figure out how to do it. Please enlighten.

@Tigers -

I’m not sure what is going on with Tigers today. He woke up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to ruffle some feathers. Now he is deleting whole posts that aren’t even offensive. Don’t lose that Tiger roar! 🐅

?

Oh you mean the one replying to you? Yeah, well that one wasn't on theme, as it was too serious. I've still got the good one though! So when the other peacockers get online at some point today I can get another 2-3 downvotes (max - no one is buying the Plaid!). ;)

BTW - I was just thinking... at this rate, the Plaid+ first deliveries will be out in less than a year and that thing has a mechanical peacock function! Then all you guys really won't be able to peacock! "Oh bro - you got the Plaid?! Not the Plaid+?! Bro, why'd didn't you just pay the extra money to get all that performance and range?"

Sad life these Plaid peacockers live.