Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just saw the article that @AnselmDante posted and this blew my mind. Is there a zero missing? How does one buy a Model X/S with that average household income?
Screen Shot 2021-06-05 at 9.42.33 AM.png

Well, someone went in and walked around the holding yard and took a few videos (look for the others by this guy). The Blue S with white interior he's got at the end [1:33] looks like the IP is missing.
Even though my date is still blank, I’m getting super excited for the 10th. Great to see these cars with yoke. The round wheel was ugly as sin on some of the prior refresh.

Thank you, this will be my first EV and learning a lot here. I had assumed I would have to buy and install the Tesla home charger, now I'll probably just have a 240V outlet installed in the garage like you did.
If you go this route, make sure you go to the Tesla Store ASAP and order the 14-50 adaptor

After doing this for a while, a couple of thoughts on getting your home charging set-up
  • Either HPWC or 14-50 are fine--no wrong answer. The typical reasons for going for the HPWC:
    • It looks cool
    • I don't want to forget my UMC in the garage and be stuck without charging options on the road and the cost of the HPWC and a second UMC are about the same
    • I worry about wear-and-tear on the 14-50 plug with daily unplugging/plugging and prefer a hard-wired solution
  • Don't feel bound by the Tesla list of electricians. We are not doing brain surgery here. Find a good licensed electrician, go look on Yelp, get a referral, talk to your local Tesla or EV club
  • Get at least 2 quotes, preferably 3--ask the electrician if there is changing placement will lower install cost--when we got our first Tesla, my wife and I switched sides of the garage to make the install easier
  • There is a Tesla tax. When you call, tell them you need a quote for a 14-50 plug install. If you are going to go the HPWC route, tell them you are planning an EVSE install and not sure what kind yet
  • If the electrician tell you the panel is full (i.e. cannot support a 50A circuit), ask for a load analysis
  • IF you have never done home electrical work before, don't make this your first project. I am more than comfortable swapping out 110 outlets and wall switches, but I still have an electrician install/replace my EVSEs.

i was expecting the income average to be higher since these are vehicles in the 90-130k range. Of course, each person has a different situation and liabilities and taxes but I had no idea the number would be that low.
10-4. Not sure what everyone is doing but you are looking at $1100/month car payment for a LR MS on a 7 year with a moderate down payment. No trade in. With trade in this could be much lower depending on the value. While this is a largechunk of a $8500/month after taxes income. It is not a budget breaker.

If you go this route, make sure you go to the Tesla Store ASAP and order the 14-50 adaptor

After doing this for a while, a couple of thoughts on getting your home charging set-up
  • Either HPWC or 14-50 are fine--no wrong answer. The typical reasons for going for the HPWC:
    • It looks cool
    • I don't want to forget my UMC in the garage and be stuck without charging options on the road and the cost of the HPWC and a second UMC are about the same
    • I worry about wear-and-tear on the 14-50 plug with daily unplugging/plugging and prefer a hard-wired solution
  • Don't feel bound by the Tesla list of electricians. We are not doing brain surgery here. Find a good licensed electrician, go look on Yelp, get a referral, talk to your local Tesla or EV club
  • Get at least 2 quotes, preferably 3--ask the electrician if there is changing placement will lower install cost--when we got our first Tesla, my wife and I switched sides of the garage to make the install easier
  • There is a Tesla tax. When you call, tell them you need a quote for a 14-50 plug install. If you are going to go the HPWC route, tell them you are planning an EVSE install and not sure what kind yet
  • If the electrician tell you the panel is full (i.e. cannot support a 50A circuit), ask for a load analysis
  • IF you have never done home electrical work before, don't make this your first project. I am more than comfortable swapping out 110 outlets and wall switches, but I still have an electrician install/replace my EVSEs.
This is the way

• It looks cool
Can you post a link to the 14-50 adaptor? tnx

Just saw the article that @AnselmDante posted and this blew my mind. Is there a zero missing? How does one buy a Model X/S with that average household income?View attachment 669881

Not everyone lives on the coast. Here in flyover country you could be making $70,000 a year (as an example that is about half of the numbers in the image) and comfortably buy any Tesla you like other than the 202x Roadster with SpaceX package.

My cost of living is about $35,000 a year not counting any car I decide to buy. So putting tens of thousands per year into savings buys a nice car every few years if I want. Having good credit means I can do that with a short term loan near 0% interest, pay it off in 12 months or whatever I feel like.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the 14-50 adaptor? tnx

Select the 14-50.