Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interest free loan to Tesla for all + holders. Sad.

You know - it wouldn't be shocking if Tesla decided to give Lucid a massive "**** YOU" straight to their faces Thursday night with the #FirstTo500 *sugar* they were trying. I would LOVE to see them do it! 😂

For reals, though. If the Plaid has the structural 4680 battery pack and gets 500+ miles of range, I'm definitely upgrading as that is worth it to me.

Last edited:
There are no right or wrong answers to how you spend your money. There aren't even good and bad investments (on a macrolevel). For example, many people say that owning a house is a good investment due to appreciation and mortgage tax credits. But the common knowledge that houses have those benefits drives up prices, offsetting the benefits.
In other news it is expected to be sunny in California today and the price of tea is on the rise in China. :D

Interest free loan to Tesla for all + holders. Sad.
If true (cancellation), I’m quite pissed off. I turned down the Plaid+ to Plaid offer and was looking forward to the 4680 range. I’m not sure if I’ll just skip current refresh until they have the new batteries. Then again, Musk said that would be years from now. Man, I’m a big fan and long time shareholder, but I’m not a happy camper today.

Instead of Tweeting this nonsense, the SAs could have simply told us this when they called. It’s been one mucked up release of the refresh for sure.

Last edited:
My guess: They stuck the 4680s inside the Plaid and it will get over 450 miles of range. Bet they update the website Thursday night.
Yeah, I'm wondering about them canceling the Plaid+ that was supposed to have > 500 mi max battery range and cost more $$ than the Plaid. Certainly I wouldn't complain if they figured a way to get > 450 mi. of of the Plaid, but I doubt it...don't think they're using the newer batteries in the Plaid at this time, although I wouldn't doubt if they stuffed them into the 2022 Plaid next year and increased the price $10k-$20k to get > 500 mi. on next year's model. They MUST compete with Lucid...the Lucid Air GT will get > 500 mi. max battery range with their dual-motor, 800 HP/TQ Air GT.

Last edited:
You know - it wouldn't be shocking if Tesla decided to give Lucid a massive "**** YOU" straight to their faces Thursday night with the #FirstTo500 *sugar* they were trying. I would LOVE to see them do it and all the Plaid owners could justify their purchase finally! 😂

For reals, though. If the Plaid has the structural 4680 battery pack and gets 500+ miles of range, I'm definitely upgrading as that is worth it to me.

As much as I would love for this to be true, I doubt it. The 4680 has a much larger form factor than the 18650 that were announced to go into both the LR and Plaid. This would require a different battery frame design than the 18650.

If true (cancellation), I’m quite pissed off. I turned down the Plaid+ to Plaid offer and was looking forward to the 4680 range. I’m not sure if I’ll just skip current refresh until they have the new batteries. Then again, Musk said that would be years from now. Man, I’m a big fan and long time shareholder, but I’m not a happy camper today.

instead of twitting this nonsense, the SAs could have simply told us this when they called.
I agree with you, but how much you want to bet that the SA's knew nothing and Elon literally just figured things out yesterday?!?!

As much as I would love for this to be true, I doubt it. The 4680 has a much larger form factor than the 18650 that were announced to go into both the LR and Plaid. This would require a different battery frame design than the 18650.
Yes and no. They are much larger, but also much more energy dense. I'm not going to pretend to be a structural engineer - but based on the battery day presentation - they shouldn't have an issue sticking them in there. The Model Y is getting them in less than 6 months. They are probably only making ~10k Plaid all year, I'm sure they have the batteries to do it from the pilot plant.

@Ohmster - I'm sure youll have the opportunity after the event to get in line for a Plaid, it doesn't seem like the wait time is that long.

Must have done something good along the way--just got a call from Tesla--I am picking my car up on Thursday as part of the event. It is MSM over white with wood and 21s.
Dang and with a 1150 RN. Congrats. Hopefully us LR peeps won't be stranded for months seeing all the awesomeness of Plaids being out there

I wouldn’t get too excited about 4680 cells in Plaid deliveries this month. Elon’s comments on the April earnings call: “We’re not quite at the point where we think (4680) cells are reliable enough to be shipped in cars.”

And that’s coming from a guy who’s pretty darn optimistic about his products.
Exactly; my guess is these new batteries will go into next year's Plaid (with a much higher price for the 2022 or 2023 Plaid), CT, and Semi. We'll see if they go into the 2022 MY or not.

I wouldn’t get too excited about 4680 cells in Plaid deliveries this month. Elon’s comments on the April earnings call: “We’re not quite at the point where we think (4680) cells are reliable enough to be shipped in cars.”

And that’s coming from a guy who’s pretty darn optimistic about his products.

I mean who knows - that's been the rumor now for a few weeks though.

However - IF they really are planning on the first cars coming out of Texas late this year (Model Y) with the 4680s and structural battery pack...hmmm, I just don't see how they sell people a $120K car that once again, has worse tech.

4680s are more than just more range, its also much better charging, longer battery life and better performance.

It was leaked months ago that they (both LR and Plaid) Model S will feature a front and rear megacasting as well. The structural battery pack is sort of the last piece of the pie there.