Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling Tesla will deliver all those Model S with the silver aero caps. The Model S built after the 7th of June will come with the black caps. I doubt Tesla will change out the wheels on hundreds (or thousands) of cars that have already been built and ready for delivery. Same with the calipers.. Some early built cars might have red.
Edit: For those with silver, maybe Tesla will offer to have them powder coated at delivery prior to picking up the car. It’s pretty straightforward to change from silver to black. The cost to Tesla might be only $300-$400. A few strange people might actually prefer the silver lol. I’m not one of them ha.

Last edited:
My thought is that someone at Tesla read @Tigers posts on calling you guys out for peacocking the Plaid so Tesla took away your red calipers. Keep it up and they will take away your boot badge.

I'm thinking the lucky plaid owners won't need no stinking badge as they leave every other car on the road in the rear view..

Maybe this is why no one has a VIN yet? You get to choose which config you want at the event!
Probably not though lol
I don't think so. When I talked to the dude for my delivery at the event, he just re-confirmed the options already in the configurator. The only option I got was to punt on the floor mats and package shelf to cut down on waste--I guess for folks who know they will upgrade floor mats (?)--seemed odd, but that is par for the course.

Reactions: doubleshot
Probably 163. Are people really going to get the new wheels so they can go 200 ? I’m good with 163.
I think that 163 kind of limits the car's abilities, considering it's only 8-10 mph above the quarter mile trap speed. It would be one of the most brutal speed limiters in a car, as it would be accelerating extremely well, and then slam into the wall that is 163 mph. While I think it would definitely be a very Tesla thing to do, I'm actually betting on something closer to the rated tire speeds. Given that the Lucid Air's top speed is 168, and the the Michelan Pilot Sport 4s tires are rated for 186 mph, I could see Tesla one upping Lucid in that department, especially after what they did with the Taycan's top speed.

Okay, so I tried reaching several of my Tesla contacts... only one called me back (local service manager) and he couldn't help.

On a whim, I went into my Tesla account page and clicked "change order". It let me select Plaid, from Plaid+, and zeroed out some options, probably because they weren't applicable to the non+ build sheet. I had to re-choose wheels and interior trim (no wood decor option, just carbon fiber). Knocked off $30K on the price and kept my same reservation number.

View attachment 670592
I'm not sure why my current car is blacked out and sitting on cinder blocks. :confused:
Wow, thank you for this! I didn’t realize the older Plaid+ orders were editable now. Made the changes and got ... drumroll ... July delivery! The new order I had placed had a “June” date, but I somehow trust the July date more.

Is it possible that the calipers weren’t changed from red to black on Plaid... but rather upgraded from red to carbon fiber to match the other carbon fiber accents on the outside of the vehicle...

Or it’s tied to the interior trim selection and some of the Plaids will have carbon fiber calipers... while others will get wood calipers due to the supply chain shortages! 🤣

Last edited: