Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the video below, at least to me, the yoke is clearly not the greatest experience. New issue I didn’t think of before - while fumbling with a steering rectangle, it’s easy to hit the horn by accident. I bet you can hit the blinkers just the same, potentially signaling incorrectly to other drivers. Hopefully you cannot engage TACC or FSD while navigating a roundabout, or the driver might find out what 1000hp unleashed around a roundabout feels like. ;)

2021 Tesla Model S Plaid - osultan

But they still haven’t removed the ambient lighting on the trim…
I'm not sure that was ever showing ambient lighting. Since it is a rendering I always looked at it as a possible shine or shadow. Trust me I wish it was there. I'm a lighting person for sure. I don't like how the door pockets are lit up either. It just highlights whatever trash you have in them. I will probably remove them.

Well, it being the end of the quarter, and Elon focused on quarterly profit, perhaps they are simply prioritizing production of more expensive colors?
Except the colors are like a $1500 or $2500 option vs my white ext / white/cf interior Plaid w/ FSD (and add’l $10k in profit) and yet, I have no date and likely looking at Aug delivery if I’m lucky. 🤔😏

What happens if I order another car, except this one with Wood Trim. Can I take whichever comes first, and just cancel the other? Besides the $100, is there any other financial risk to me?
That is what I did, as soon as I had my Plaid VIN I cancelled the LR order--all I lost was the $100.

In the video below, at least to me, the yoke is clearly not the greatest experience. New issue I didn’t think of before - while fumbling with a steering rectangle, it’s easy to hit the horn by accident. I bet you can hit the blinkers just the same, potentially signaling incorrectly to other drivers. Hopefully you cannot engage TACC or FSD while navigating a roundabout, or the driver might find out what 1000hp unleashed around a roundabout feels like. ;)

yeah, I’d expect when we see enough cars with yokes released over time we’ll see more accidents, probably not on the highway but slower speeds involving turns, in lots, etc. it’ll take data like that to consider improvements.

Engaging TACC or AP requires a single or double click on the right thumbwheel, so unlikely.

<rant>I really want to know when they will start delivery LRs....like really...its safe to assume the term "priority delivery" didnt mean anything to them..i wish the had some legit to talknto or explain the whole production delay issue too, because at this point i have 0 idea when it might happen especially based on tesla ever changing logic </rant>

100% True. It's why I switched back to Model S. The Y was a bit disappointing. Just felt different. And I missed my pop-out door handles. I know that's a trivial thing, but also quite wonderful in Arizona heat.
I'm excited for the upgraded interior and would've even considered moving to plaid at the old price if it would have had 400+ mile range. At this point I'll just stick with LR and patiently wait as the days months click by. I'll keep the $50k and put it toward an eventual roadster.
This is the way! If you have an extra $50K itching your fingers then put that money in index funds or TSLA. That is a better investment than flushing it for a ~-1s acceleration that you would only use sparingly. Now if you have FU money then by all means go ahead and do whatever you want.

Last edited:
This is the way! If you have an extra $50K itching your fingers then put that money in index funds or TSLA. That is a better investment than flushing it for a ~-1s acceleration that you would only use it sparingly. Now if you have FU money then by all means go ahead and do whatever you want.
$50k is a bit of a stretch. My LR order with MSM, White Interior, 21” arachnids and FSD is $99,290. I decided to give up FSD to order the Plaid and my White /White , 21” arachnids and no FSD is $127,790. So, the difference is still a significant sum at $28K, but it is nowhere near the $50K amount you suggested.

True but then red is the most expensive color option and they’re not making reds in significant numbers.

Most expensive does not mean most profitable. I had someone from Tesla tell me the MC Red is really hard to work with because it is finicky when it goes on.

That is what I read as well that Tesla was saying about production. They said red was most difficult to paint and that is the reason for the price increase - not that red paint is actually more expensive per gallon.

$50k is a bit of a stretch. My LR order with MSM, White Interior, 21” arachnids and FSD is $99,290. I decided to give up FSD to order the Plaid and my White /White , 21” arachnids and no FSD is $127,790. So, the difference is still a significant sum at $28K, but it is nowhere near the $50K amount you suggested.

Per the order page, isn't a base Plaid $50k more than a base LR? Premiums cost same regardless of trim.

From the website:
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Long Range
$79,990
Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive
Plaid
$129,990

My LR is $85k so yeah, you're def $50k up, especially after taxes.

Per the order page, isn't a base Plaid $50k more than a base LR?

From the website:
Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive
Long Range
$79,990
Tri Motor All-Wheel Drive
Plaid
$129,990
Anyone that ordered the Plaid before Thursday is paying $119,990. To minimize the difference in price between my LR and Plaid orders, I went with the free white option and removed FSD. This results in a $28,500 difference between my two orders. Not an insignificant sum, but nowhere near a $50K price differential in my case.

I’m just saying that someone can adjust the options chosen to minimize the price difference. I could have gone with a Plaid with black interior and 19” wheels with No FSD and the difference between my LR and Plaid orders would have been $22,000

Last edited: