Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, although there are folks here that know more than me, so I am sure they will flesh this out:
  • Most strips will have a day set aside for street legal racing--the day is split into qualifying/test runs and then eliminations later in the evening
  • No special license. Minimally, you need long pants, close toes shoes, a shirt with sleeves, an SFI jacket, and a full face helmet rated by Snell or SFI
  • You show up, they will do a tech check (not an issue for our cars), sign a waiver and give them your money -- $20 seems typical, then they will line you up in a lane to race--some places will have EV-specific lanes, but with our cars, its fun to line up against the ICE cars
  • At our track, someone will take you through an orientation on how to stage, understanding the Christmas tree, etc. It is not all that complicated to understand, but difficult to master the timing of the tree
  • They do put something on the track to help stickiness. In my case, it made my 0-60 times worse than I have been getting on my usual backroad, so YMMV
  • Trying to pull of a Cheetah stance is tough to pull of because, as soon as both cars are staged, they will kick-off the Christmas tree, so you might not have time to fully get into launch stance. My advice: if you jsut want to race cars, just mash the pedal and don't worry about the cheetah stance. If you want to test your car, do the full launch and don't worry about the fact the other guy/gal took off :) -- you don't have to launch when the light turns green
  • One final thing: there is an area behind where you stage where that they will wet down with a hose--this is for folks wanting to do a burnout to warm their tires. You want to drive around that area (there is space) and not get water on your tires.
  • Here is a link to the NHRA safety reqs: https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2018/03/NHRA-Racing-Safety-Rules.pdf
Omar, as usual thank you for your generous reply.
Maybe this can serve as fodder for a section in your guide.
Before this forum I'd never have considered racing down a strip - this sounds like a hoot!
Thanks again!

Congrats.I feel I made a huge mistake with white interior :(

You didn't at all. You may wait a little longer, but trust me - get the car you actually want. You won't remember the wait, but you will remember you're not driving the car you originally wanted, while you're driving the one that you wanted less.

You didn't at all. You may wait a little longer, but trust me - get the car you actually want. You won't remember the wait, but you will remember you're not driving the car you originally wanted, while you're driving the one that you wanted less.
I know what you are talking about. My last 4 cars were bought from lot in order to avoid wait time and I always was thinking of things I don’t like/ I don’t want 🙂

but being on this thread I saw many people here who waits for their cars for almost 8 months already without any news. I can’t wait that long.

Last edited:
How do you agree or disagree with a two-option question?

You people are weird.
Ha - I just gave a presentation yesterday with a 2 option question and then a magic 8 ball - with the answer "yes"
next slide, different two option question - and magic 8-ball that said "maybe"
Nobody ever said I was well.
Here's another: Magic 8 Ball - Will I get a VIN this year or next year or never? "Maybe"
Magic 8 Ball - Will Tesla communicate the states of my order to me? "Not likely"

Especially true with the Plaid. I do not know if it is the PM motors or the extra motor or what but regen braking is stronger and the car now comes to a complete stop and puts on hill hold without doing anything (like my bud's MY). I literally no longer use the brake which may explain Tesla's change in rotors to once that do not appear to surface corrode as easily. I guess they know you will no longer be gently using the brakes to stop and thus cleaning off the post wash reddish film. I'll squirt my rotors with water today and see if they start to discolor in a few hours like my PD does.
I thought I read somewhere that the car WILL apply the actual brakes even with one pedal driving to bring you to a final stop.
EDIT: It is on the "Meet your Tesla S" video - at about 3:52 or so it talks about regenerative braking, and your Model S will also apply the friction brakes to bring your car to a stop" - something like that.

Anyone tried a car seat in the MS yet? I want to stuff a 1 year old and a 3 year old in the back lol
Took a trip from CO to Sun Valley two weeks ago with a 1 and almost 3 year old, both in larger convertible seats. Worked out great, plenty of space, and no hump in the middle was nice to store stuff on floor for trip (snacks, etc).

The LATCH buckles are actually nicely situated (kind of angled instead of flat, if that makes sense). Might just leave the seats in (normal ride for the kiddos is my wife's SUV).

Last edited:
@sflgator - welcome back, buddy. I thought with your long absence, that you had definitely gone and bought a Taycan or Audi GT RS (or, RS GT? can't remember).

I'm currently waiting for any of the following:

Model S
Ioniq 5
R1T
F-150 Lightning
Bronco

I *think* that's it. I'll probably get zero of them until 2023 at this rate. WTF.
Got a Wildtrak Bronco 4 door on order myself, looks like next year for me and I was 2nd day reservation 7/14/20, so things could be worse here.:rolleyes:

@sflgator - welcome back, buddy. I thought with your long absence, that you had definitely gone and bought a Taycan or Audi GT RS (or, RS GT? can't remember).

I'm currently waiting for any of the following:

Model S
Ioniq 5
R1T
F-150 Lightning
Bronco

I *think* that's it. I'll probably get zero of them until 2023 at this rate. WTF.
That makes sense to me. I'm waiting for:
Model S Plaid
Peugeot 208 eGT
Volvo XC40 Recharge
Tesla Model 3
That last three are for Brazil,
I'll take the first one that arrives.
I tried I Pace, Taycan, eTron and was underwhelmed
I'm even considering the JAC E-JS4.
Right now JAC have seven electric models on sale in Brasil so..
Probably, maybe, I'll be able to wait for my Tesla Model 3, reserved in 2016!

I thought I read somewhere that the car WILL apply the actual brakes even with one pedal driving to bring you to a final stop.
EDIT: It is on the "Meet your Tesla S" video - at about 3:52 or so it talks about regenerative braking, and your Model S will also apply the friction brakes to bring your car to a stop" - something like that.
Hi, not sure about the new S, but my wife's Y has a setting that allows you to set it for creep (like an ICE), and then 2 other settings, one which regenerates, but requires brakes to come to a complete stop, and the other that will bring to a complete stop by just removing pressure from the accelerator pedal.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Got a Wildtrak Bronco 4 door on order myself, looks like next year for me and I was 2nd day reservation 7/14/20, so things could be worse here.:rolleyes:
I've got a First Edition Bronco supposed to be built the second week of August. It's going to be difficult to not just flip the vehicle (hopefully not literally) since I'm not too committed to it anymore. But I'm getting it at retail so I'll take it anyway.

Ha! I listened to an audio of Carlton Sheets years ago (real estate guy) and he said, words to the effect, and I've never forgotten, "The smell of the new car fades much earlier than the payments are done" - I think your reply is right on the nose!

Looks like they're ramping up Model X production lines over Model S, which would make sense since the EDDs on Model S has dramatically increased.

1627663307767.png