Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: Turn signals. I actually broke down and RTFM last night. Practiced in my garage where I could see what was happening while sitting in the drivers seat. It's better and worse than I thought.

Better: I was under the impression that there were two modes. A quick one that will turn off automatically, and the long one that will only turn off after you make a turn and return the yoke to the center position. That's not the case. Nor is it the case that "it should be three blinks instead of 1." As it turns out, there are simply two ways to invoke the turn signal. A "light" press which will continue to signal until you release the pressure (this gives a single haptic feedback vibration) and a "harder" press which will immediately go into the "long" mode (which gives a double vibration). This means that you really can (with a deft, light touch) signal a few times to change lanes without needing to turn it off again. I really think I *can* get the hang of this to the point where it will be quick and easy to get it right. Especially after practicing a bit more where I can see the results.

Worse: The haptic feedback occurs well before the signal actually flashes! This means that a quick light touch, which rewards you with some feedback is *NOT* enough to signal your intentions. You *must* keep that touch for as long as it takes for the signal to activate. This is approximately a full second. Practice where you can see it, and you'll get the hang of it, but I really wish that activation at least guaranteed a single flash of the turn signal! In the end, I hope this is more of a feature than a bug in that quick accidental swipes while adjusting the volume wont make you look like an idiot to the cars behind you, and typically you want to hold lightly for 3 or so flashes anyway to indicate your intentions. This will take some time to get used to.
I would definitely prefer that the light touch signal be customized in the menus. My DNA is for the 3 blink signal for a light touch (German cars and most others at this point). Three blinks addresses almost every turn I need to make.

After being placed on hold for 15 min, finally got off the phone with Pirelli North America. The Pirelli Pzero Elect on our Model S are 'Summer' tires.
However, the guy I spoke to said "think of them as summer tires for all seasons." Righttt .. I didn't have a reply for that one Lmao..
Oh I understand. He thought you were in Hawaii so summer for all seasons makes complete sense.

Really like these 20" wheels. This is Dragtimes car and he just put on these 20s. In total, about 40lbs lighter than the 21s.
FYI -- The weight reduction doesn't come from downsizing the wheels from 21" to 20"; it's actually because the Signature Monoblock wheels are fully forged, lighter weight T6061 machined aluminum alloy, rather than heavier cast 21" oem Tesla Arachnid wheels. My 21" Signature Monoblock SV104 wheels (same as Brooks but got the brushed black triple tinted instead of his brushed titanium color) I should be receiving in about 3-4 weeks (several weeks BEFORE my Plaid I might add...grrrr to Tesla for delaying delivery of my MS Plaid again, lol! 🤬 ) also represent about 10lb. LESS at each corner. But again, my new Signature forged wheels are the exact same 21" size including width as the 21" Tesla Arachnid wheels BUT each one weighs about 10lb less, so it's about a 40lb unsprung weight savings on the car! ;)

Last edited:
FYI -- The weight reduction doesn't come from downsizing the wheels from 21" to 20"; it's actually because the Signature Monoblock wheels are fully forged T6061 machined aluminum alloy, rather than heavier cast 21" oem Tesla Arachnid wheels. My 21" Signature Monoblock SV104 wheels I should be receiving in about 3-4 weeks (several weeks BEFORE my Plaid I might add...grrrr to Tesla for delaying delivery of my MS Plaid again, lol! 🤬 ) also represent about 10lb. LESS at each corner. But again, my new Signature forged wheels are the exact same 21" size including width BUT each one weighs about 10lb less, so it's about a 40lb unsprung wight savings on the car! ;)
But, you’re also $4400 lighter in the wallet! ;):D

Yup, I'm pretty sure both the Plaid and LR 19s on East coast and West coast all come with the Pirelli Pzero Elect 'summer' tires.
Really dumb move to put summer tires on the LR 19, especially in the NE and Midwest. Makes no sense. Ordered the LR 19 with the impression would be getting All Seasons. Tesla should at least give you a choice like other car companies do.

Apparently, the 19" delays were due to the Tesla specific Pirelli Elect tires.
My friend in the tire business says the Elect is customized for each model. I knew about the Taycan but did not know I probably have them on my Plaid, currently sitting a 15 minute walk from me but nobody will commit how long prep or hold might take. This afternoon I was told it was the first Plaid they'd seen with 19", 'all' the others were LR. I asked how many 'all' were and another employee said 'three'.

Really dumb move to put summer tires on the LR 19, especially in the NE and Midwest. Makes no sense. Ordered the LR 19 with the impression would be getting All Seasons. Tesla should at least give you a choice like other car companies do.
Agree but I think it’s because these are new tires for Tesla. I have a feeling the 19s will come with the All Seasons version starting in a few months. Or some locations will come with the Elect all seasons and some with the summers. I actually like these tires.

That's weird, almost like the car is still limited electronically. My Model3 AWD+ does 3.7sec 0-60mph in the summer on its lightweight wheels and sticky rubber, and I also did exactly 3.7sec 0-60mph in the winter at -20C on the stock wheels and studded tires. It just shouldn't be.

I guess we'll see with the stock 19s if the car is slower. But Brooks definitely should have been a bit quicker with lighter wheels and wider tires.
I have thought the same--my car is ridiculously consistent going 0-60 -- in many ways, it is good as SoC does not seem to matter, but it almost seems too consistent, which, I know, sounds weird.

My 2009 C63 AMG -- modded with custom ecu tune, long-tube headers (no cats), high-flow air filters, etc.View attachment 701783View attachment 701784
Funny story - the electrician who is going to install my wall connector:

Electrician: Please tell me you're not getting rid of this for an EV.
Me: Actually I am. The Model S I'm getting is actually a second faster 0-60.
Electrician: Yeah, maybe. But it definitely won't sound anything like this.
Me: 😶

I have thought the same--my car is ridiculously consistent going 0-60 -- in many ways, it is good as SoC does not seem to matter, but it almost seems too consistent, which, I know, sounds weird.
Well, as it has been rumored in the past, it is very possible that the Plaid is being limited in its current form. That's possibly what we're seeing here. Not like it would get any less consistent if performance increased, as these cars are always limited in a way. :)

I decided to cancel my order after having looked at the car. The front hood on mine along with all the others newly arrived, on the passenger side had a huge gap and almost appeared as if the hood was bent. Looked inside, the the airbag cover on the yoke steering wheel had a very visible seam that others have remarked about already. If the QC is this bad on obvious things what else will go wrong in the future? I have decided to wait until my February order for the white/black-white plaid which is also 10k less plus it will be a 2022 model. Hopefully by then all of the manufacturing QC issues will have improved. In the mean time I will continue to enjoy my excellent p100D with sunroof. I wish you early adopters all the best.
Don't count on it. Seems like some of these issues are 'par for the course' at Tesla. It's things like these that Tesla owners/drivers seem to forgive in favor of how well their cars perform, and I believe reliability over several years of driving seems to be quite good, actually much better than most ICE auto manufacturers (even high-end cars). So, perhaps Tesla isn't for you? Maybe yes or maybe no; you may want to check out all the available EVs out there, ones from Porsche, Audi, VW, Volvo/Polestar, BMW, MB, Jaguar, GM, Ford, Lucid, Rivian, and new ones coming in 2022 from Hyundai and Kia I think. Test drive, compare, etc. But, I highly doubt Tesla's minor imperfections and slightly lower quality control will be any better by Jan or Feb, 2022. Just my $0.02. Good luck! ;)

Last edited:
But, you’re also $4400 lighter in the wallet! ;):D
True but you gotta pay to play, right? LOL. Honestly, I bought the new wheels for 2 reasons...1) yes for the weight savings and 2) I wanted the car to look just a little different than 90% of all the other new 'refresh' MS Plaids and LRs out there. Most ppl, even here in South Florida will likely be driving their new MS Plaids and LRs on oem Tesla wheels. Nobody bit on the TMC Marketplace for me to sell my oem 21" Tesla Arachnid wheels (without tires as I'll be swapping the oem Michelin PS4's to the new wheels) so I'll be selling the set on eBay after I get everything in Oct.