Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the power curve for the LR? I find it odd that they would omit this from the comparisons. I know a lot of you will say it is because the LR is not the performance model. We all agree that the LR pulls harder than the P100D at higher speeds correct? So where is the power curve?

Part of me wonders if this was done to avoid direct comparisons to carbon sleeved vs. non carbon sleeved results for this generation of battery packs and motors.

At any rate, I would love to see where the LR falls in this power curve comparison.
It looks to be about the same, at least up to 140 mph. Pretty impressive also. Agreed on the carbon-wrapped rotors, as most people don't know what they are looking at, or what they do, so this may be done to avoid confusion.

Reactions: impastu
Where is the power curve for the LR? I find it odd that they would omit this from the comparisons. I know a lot of you will say it is because the LR is not the performance model. We all agree that the LR pulls harder than the P100D at higher speeds correct? So where is the power curve?

Part of me wonders if this was done to avoid direct comparisons to carbon sleeved vs. non carbon sleeved results for this generation of battery packs and motors.

At any rate, I would love to see where the LR falls in this power curve comparison.
I was able to Email Elon and he just send me this chart. @sflgator

Attachments

• 9EA3722D-930D-4C28-83E3-F3E494429569.jpeg
    9EA3722D-930D-4C28-83E3-F3E494429569.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 84
I was able to Email Elon and he just send me this chart.
You know, it could be actually like that irl. The main purpose of the carbon-wrapped rotors are to maintain really high efficiency at high rpm, and deliver said rpm. It could be that after maybe 150 or so, it would start to taper off. Even so, it's damn impressive for a PM motor to be doing this.

You know, it could be actually like that irl. The main purpose of the carbon-wrapped rotors are to maintain really high efficiency at high rpm, and deliver said rpm. It could be that after maybe 150 or so, it would start to taper off. Even so, it's damn impressive for a PM motor to be doing this.
Lol I know just want to spice up the chat we all love each other impressive nevertheless.

Is that a guess or have you seen a power curve?
There are signs of the flat curve, as the only way an EV with 670 hp is doing 130 mph in the trap speed is with such a curve. Additionally, if you look on the bottom of the gauge cluster in that LR 1/4 mile video, you can see that the power bar doesn't move at all. It just goes to max output and stays there.

Some people seem to think there's actually more HP/TQ in the MS Plaid; I mean 1,020 HP / 1,050 ft-lb TQ "to the wheels" on an ICE car would mean like ~ 1,200+ HP/TQ "to the crank" on an ICE car with a transmission. Brooks @ DragTimes couldn't dyno the car and he thinks there's already more power than advertised.
That’s likely because people are comparing 1/4 mile times of cars based on their peak HP and peak torque values not understanding you integrate all the area under the curve where Tesla has more of.

Some people seem to think there's actually more HP/TQ in the MS Plaid; I mean 1,020 HP / 1,050 ft-lb TQ "to the wheels" on an ICE car would mean like ~ 1,200+ HP/TQ "to the crank" on an ICE car with a transmission. Brooks @ DragTimes couldn't dyno the car and he thinks there's already more power than advertised.
Well not necessarily. With really high efficiency (@TorqueMonster, @omarsultan, and myself calculated around 93%), it's actually putting down almost all 1,020 motor shaft hp at the wheels. There are a lot less losses between motor and wheel than in a traditional ICE. This is why you see many people thinking it's underrated, and that it has to have 1,200 hp. It actually is putting down exactly what Tesla says it does(maybe like a tad more), just in an Earth-shatteringly efficient manner.

Last edited:
A neighbor of ours, a couple in their 50's, bought a Plaid today. White on white with CF interior. Normally, I am not very chatty with them but I went up to their driveway to inquire. I said Congrats, you have the fastest production car in the world. To which, the lady (shocked) replied "really??? i had no idea about that. Sure, it feels fast and had no clue in the damn world its the fastest". Then she turned to her husband and said "did you hear what he just said?". The husband was equally shocked. Both of them had no clue. Apparently, they wanted a Tesla for the "dog mode" and really like how the Model S looks from outside.
I thought about asking them "how about we trade since you don't care about the performance" but then I quickly realized that that was futile since I had just revealed what their vehicle was capable of. In my mind, I did a massive double facepalm and left the scene. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️😂

There are signs of the flat curve, as the only way an EV with 670 hp is doing 130 mph in the trap speed is with such a curve. Additionally, if you look on the bottom of the gauge cluster in that LR 1/4 mile video, you can see that the power bar doesn't move at all. It just goes to max output and stays there.
I'm going to preface this next comment acknowledging that the Plaid is amazing, and the LR is not close to its performance. Hopefully that will shut up the Plaid defenders, because this is aimed at Tesla's marketing department, and what I suspect is deceptive manipulation of true physical limitations between the two.

That being said, here are my thoughts:

I think the LR is capable of a 2.4 0-60, but it is reduced to make the Plaid look that much better. Real enthusiasts know that what happens after 60 is the real test of performance, but marketing knows that 0-60 times is what sells to the average buyer that wants a fast car. I believe they know $40k for 0.4 seconds is a hard sell, and reminding buyers that the Plaid pulls just as hard at 100 wouldn't have as much traction upselling to the Plaid.

I'd also like to know the real value of the carbon sleeves. I'm not saying it is not an amazing innovation, I'm just curious why they would avoid providing the power curve of the LR. How much of this generation of batteries and motors provides the LR power compared to the difference with the tri motor carbon sleeved Plaid.

I always get my Spidey senses up when marketing decides to withhold information, or use differing metrics to compare similar products (rollout vs. non-rollout).

I'm going to preface this next comment acknowledging that the Plaid is amazing, and the LR is not close to its performance. Hopefully that will shut up the Plaid defenders, because this is aimed at Tesla's marketing department, and what I suspect is deceptive manipulation of true physical limitations between the two.

That being said, here are my thoughts:

I think the LR is capable of a 2.4 0-60, but it is reduced to make the Plaid look that much better. Real enthusiasts know that what happens after 60 is the real test of performance, but marketing knows that 0-60 times is what sells to the average buyer that wants a fast car. I believe they know $40k for 0.4 seconds is a hard sell, and reminding buyers that the Plaid pulls just as hard at 100 wouldn't have as much traction upselling to the Plaid.

I'd also like to know the real value of the carbon sleeves. I'm not saying it is not an amazing innovation, I'm just curious why they would avoid providing the power curve of the LR. How much of this generation of batteries and motors provides the LR power compared to the difference with the tri motor carbon sleeved Plaid.

I always get my Spidey senses up when marketing decides to withhold information, or use differing metrics to compare similar products (rollout vs. non-rollout).
As I've said, the real value of the carbon sleeves are the minute interference with the EM field, and super high rpms, along with very low rotational mass due to the lightweight carbon. Regarding marketing, I think it would be cool to see the power curve of the LR as well, but they don't even have the Plaid power curve on the website. It was shown at the Plaid delivery event, which was for the Model S Plaid, not the Model S refresh in general. If it was, I'm sure they would've talked about it.

I was able to Email Elon and he just send me this chart. @sflgator
Is that Jester dude STILL whining and complaining and arguing that possibly (likely not), maybe (maybe not), somehow (definitely not), someway (no way), probably (probably not)…that the dual motor MS LR is just as powerful, quick and just as good or could be made to be just as powerful, quick and just as good as the tri-motor (carbon sleeved) MS Plaid? 🤔🤪😂. Ugh, that guy should give it up already!!!

Why doesn’t he just sell his MS LR and order a MS Plaid? Oh wait…he definitely can afford it but just couldn’t justify spending the extra $40k?!?!? And now he’s having buyers remorse I guess. Oh gosh! He really needs to go cry on a different thread, right? This one is for refresh MS Plaid/LR PRODUCTION AND DELIVERIES! 😜😂

Last edited:
A neighbor of ours, a couple in their 50's, bought a Plaid today. White on white with CF interior. Normally, I am not very chatty with them but I went up to their driveway to inquire. I said Congrats, you have the fastest production car in the world. To which, the lady (shocked) replied "really??? i had no idea about that. Sure, it feels fast and had no clue in the damn world its the fastest". Then she turned to her husband and said "did you hear what he just said?". The husband was equally shocked. Both of them had no clue. Apparently, they wanted a Tesla for the "dog mode" and really like how the Model S looks from outside.
I thought about asking them "how about we trade since you don't care about the performance" but then I quickly realized that that was futile since I had just revealed what their vehicle was capable of. In my mind, I did a massive double facepalm and left the scene. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️😂
And these are the people who get MY car, my exact build before me?!?!?! LOL!! 🤪😂

My delivery is next week. Is it crazy that I am contemplating canceling my order because the car doesn’t have front or rear cross traffic detection? This is an option on BMW’s, Lexus and Mercedes now. This is going to be my daily driver and the main reason I ordered the car is because of the safety.
sorry. but you can't use your eyes? at least has blind spot detection now though. but I feel like if you're in reverse you should be paying attention.

Some time ago on this thread I recall seeing posts/pics concerning the OEM 19" Cardenio rim weights (front, rear), as well as total rim+tire weights (front, rear). Did a search but nothing came up. If anyone has that info, would be greatly appreciated.

My Plaid is still scheduled for Oct 31- Nov 20 delivery and I am trying to figure out a winter tire/rim strategy. Do I (1) use the stock 19" rims for winter tires, pulling the A/S tires off right away (selling tires?), and then try to find decent 20" setup for summer use? Or do I (2) get a square 19" setup (rims, tires) for winter, and keep the OEM setup for summer. I don't want to lose a lot of summer range by switching to 20s, so it would help to know what the stock weights are. Of course the "aero" factor comes into play as well.

Need to figure this out soon as by the time November rolls around, nobody will have decent inventory of winter tires.

If anyone has done similar explorations it would be great to hear from you.🤓

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I don't use the cabin overheat function, seems like a waste of energy to me. And makes the car charge more slowly. I work in hell, well the Inland Empire anyway, and I often see 140 degrees+ interior temp on my app (as I write this it says 137). I have a hard time believing that Tesla interior components are more sensitive than an ICE's interior components that does not have the interior monitored, and so far have had no issues. I do cool the cabin about 15 minutes before I leave each day.
This is just a guess, but the cabin overheat protection may have something to do with all of the screens that have gone bad. I have a 2013 with only 23k miles, and both screens have been replaced. Or maybe it was just a age issue since my car hasn't been parked in the sun that often. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: EndlessPlaid