Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's really frustrating and my patience is wearing thin. I ordered on 4-Feb with RN 1144 and have a current projected EDD of Dec 16-31. My conclusion is that order date does not matter much, especially if you are ordering a car at the original price. I am glad for all the people who are getting MS LR cars on here with similar configs to mine but it sucks seeing so many newer RNs get cars while I wait as patiently as possible.
We've proven this over and over that it is not the order price that makes a difference. Otherwise, all of these 2020 and early 2021 orders would not be filled and people with the same order configuration placed post-price hike would be getting that car.

Are there instances where Tesla delivers a post-price hike car? Sure, most definitely. But it is not like they are going out of their way to deliver later orders than you. That SA sounds like they are talking out of their backside.

We've proven this over and over that it is not the order price that makes a difference. Otherwise, all of these 2020 and early 2021 orders would not be filled and people with the same order configuration placed post-price hike would be getting that car.

Are there instances where Tesla delivers a post-price hike car? Sure, most definitely. But it is not like they are going out of their way to deliver later orders than you. That SA sounds like they are talking out of their backside.

But, we cannot rule out that Tesla does really hate him and is singling him out for a non-delivery. Just sayin'

I guess the question is what DOES make a difference? There seems to be no logic to it. Yeah, I know, it's the monkey but really -- why do people who order in August and September get their cars before people who order in February? We'll never know because Tesla will never tell you (do they even know?). Doesn't make it any less of a head scratcher.

I guess the question is what DOES make a difference? There seems to be no logic to it. Yeah, I know, it's the monkey but really -- why do people who order in August and September get their cars before people who order in February? We'll never know because Tesla will never tell you (do they even know?). Doesn't make it any less of a head scratcher.

I think profit is driving some of it - they seem to prioritize the higher margin trims and options first.. We speculate a lot here but we do not know the real details (i.e. supply chain, assembly, etc.).

Tesla called my father and offered to bump up his X delivery if he pays the $6500 more for the 6 seater version.

Man. It looks I'm getting the last of the '21s next week? Maybe I should wait somehow to get a '22? hmm.
Yea. My vote is to wait a bit longer then you'll get a 2022.
Same with me, as just got VIN today. Mine might be delivered in two weeks and is a 21. Tempted to wait longer, as thought it would be a 22.
Bummer! It seems that as others have stated here, the NF (2022) VINs are not yet being assigned.
Elon says, "two weeks"!
I do know that my SA told me to say I was "going to be out of country until 12-1-21" to assure me a NF VIN. This way I do not have to have my org price change (now saving me $17k). But, that'll fer sure put me into the EOQ craziness. No winning around here.

Everyone on this thread knows how atrocious Tesla‘s communication/information is. But let me contrast that with Mercedes.

We ordered an EQS in the summer for my wife. We were told it might be two years before delivery.

About a month ago we were told the car was in production.

Today we were told the car is ready for shipment. When the car is shipped it will be about 3 weeks before it will be delivered.

We will be informed when the car is shipped.

it looks like Mercedes under promised and will over deliver. We have been informed on status all along the way. Why can’t Tesla do the same?

I still love my MS. But I’m still puzzled that a company that builds a great car is so damn bad on the business side.
Many years ago, when I pre-ordered an ML (hey, I like to buy cars sight unseen), the whole experience was exactly the same. Needless to say, they've had a few decades to get this stuff sorted out.

Hi everyone. Putting this out there for what it is -- one data point from one Tesla employee who we all know have little to no more info than we do. It seemed to confirm my suspicions so I am sharing.

Today I took my Model 3 into the North Houston service center for out-of-warranty service and sort of mentioned in passing that it is annoying to pay for service 9 months after I ordered my Model S and the employee asked "why are you still waiting, we can almost certainly get you in a car with a similar configuration?". I said that would be nice but I am locked in to the $15K lower price and he said "oh yeah, that's why you're not matched yet and no one is offering you an alternate config."

It's really frustrating and my patience is wearing thin. I ordered on 4-Feb with RN 1144 and have a current projected EDD of Dec 16-31. My conclusion is that order date does not matter much, especially if you are ordering a car at the original price. I am glad for all the people who are getting MS LR cars on here with similar configs to mine but it sucks seeing so many newer RNs get cars while I wait as patiently as possible.

Tesla really does like to torture us don't they??? :)
As much as I want my car, we are both ordering the same car and I have a 1150 RN so hope that you get yours before me! I hate Queue jumping even if it is out of my control.

Hi all, I think I figured out how to guarantee I’ll be assigned a 2022 Tesla. I just ordered a Y for my wife! Now to decide, 2 chargers or 1, and if 2, separate circuit or let the system mange via WiFi?
I also think I decided to wait for a 22 S if I get matched to a 21. I no longer plan to lease, so I’d rather have the extra scheckels on a resale.

Agree with all those who suggested it'll be coming soon. It has been the trend to see a Jan-Feb date then VIN pretty soon thereafter. Good luck @anthonyj! Do let us know if yours is a NF (2022) VIN.
In that same vein, (not yoke vein), my SA just told me that my MS LR w/ EDD late Nov-Dec will 90% likely be a 2022. He said all cars coming off the line currently are getting a 2022 VIN. Here's hoping!
I’m really hopeful to the point that I’ve been pushed back, but a 2022 would make the delay more rewarding.

Has anyone had problems with Tesla financing screwing things up? Picked up my car ~6 weeks ago, signed paperwork on pickup, then a couple days later they asked me to sign again because something happened to the paperwork, so I did. All of it has disappeared from the Tesla portal and I have no loan information, or plates for the car.

No one at my service center is helping, and there's no phone number to call on the tesla website. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling they didn't submit the paperwork soon enough to the bank and the approval expired.

It seems like plaid makes a difference. I ordered mid September, delivery set for next week.

It seems like plaid makes a difference. I ordered mid September, delivery set for next week.
yes. Plaid makes a difference. Trim level wise it's more money, but obviously a whole lot less of the overall pool of reservations. They've probably gotten through almost all the backlog of the Plaid by now, but LR still has a much larger backlog. how many times can I say backlog. lol.

BTW. this is the closest I've ever been to the start of an EDD window. Let's see on Tuesday if it pushes back lol...

Will Christmas arrive before Thanksgiving this year?! My EDD is Nov 11-Dec 1, RN 115145, MSLR Blue/ Cream/ 21”/wood/FSD. Service Advisor told me today that in their system, expected build date is Nov 22nd (pushed back from Nov 17). So he says end of Nov seems possible, maybe a tad earlier if I am lucky. So those of you who are tracking which color Teslas are getting delivered faster etc., do you think there is a chance I may get my Christmas present before Thanksgiving? Trying to plan a trip to Palm Springs for Thanksgiving.

So freaking tired!!!

Tesla SC called to tell me they just received my car but the ABS module is defective and will need two weeks to get a new module. So instead of getting my car next friday or a couple days early, I'm now postponed another 2 weeks.

Worst, they have a car in the lot just like mine with 21s instead of 19s, but they don't want to switch the wheels. They also don't want to take the ABS module from that car to put it on mine.

I feel like a regular car dealer would definitely switch the wheels or the ABS module to have a happy customer. With Tesla's business model, they just don't give a crap. Your car will be ready when it is ready. We're not gonna switch wheels on the car to make you happy.

**** Tesla. **** their awful customer service. **** their awesome cars, I'd buy anything else if anything else was close.

🤬🤬🤬🤬
I wonder if my car had the same issue, finally got it today after waiting two weeks for them to fix something, they wouldn’t tell me. Hang in there, I know it suck’s beyond belief. If it wasn’t for the $12,600 price difference, I honestly would have passed on the car, and ordered a 2022.

Be forewarned - we seem to be seeing an increase in halfshaft failures; a problem which has plagued the model S from day 1 and never fixed. Consider me the latest to fall victim.

Be forewarned - we seem to be seeing an increase in halfshaft failures; a problem which has plagued the model S from day 1 and never fixed. Consider me the latest to fall victim.

Happy 9,000 reaction score @jebinc! Just noticed. :)

I ordered a Red/White Plaid back in May. My delivery date was June 20th-30th, then kept getting pushed back a month every month. It’s now showing January 15th to February 15th. How can this be right? I’ve seen people order after me and get their cars. Are they not making red ones or something?
Call your local tesla store if they have any in inventory. They might say "no plaids because theyre new" initially but press them on checking on their internal dashboard a bunch will show up.

I called them everyday for the past week and they have plenty but they go fast!

@2021plaid 9001 now, thanks for your contribution!

And for that, this….

61669C42-849B-423D-892E-D5DA826C8DA0.gif