Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With my 85D they ended up doing some testing and found a problem that resulted in replacing the rear drive unit. So it's not just cleaning it up for delivery.
I wonder if, in order to reduce factory workload, Tesla is now relying more on the DS teams to do the 'final' QA testing? How could a rear drive unit be failing if it was properly testing at the factory during the build cycle?

Can anyone comment what is the typical transit time to Chicago on rail? I wish Tesla could give owners more of a status than having to rely on contacting our DS. My DS has been great...I don't want to keep bugging him for status updates.

The DS said he anticipates delivery to be close to June 25 (right around my birthday). This would mean close to 20 days of transit, etc. before delivery. This seems like a long time, but I am not familiar with how the shipping industry works.

I have been looking at the Google Spreadsheet for Production and Delivery times and it shows recent transit/delivery times for the Midwest varying from about 10 days to 25+ days.

Can anyone comment on recent transit times through Chicago? Chicago seems to be a hub for MS's.

Thanks.

I wonder if, in order to reduce factory workload, Tesla is now relying more on the DS teams to do the 'final' QA testing? How could a rear drive unit be failing if it was properly testing at the factory during the build cycle?

I don't believe so.
Things can happen during transit. Basically, transit is a literal "shake down" cruise and things that are not apparent at the factory may crop up.

Can anyone comment on recent transit times through Chicago? Chicago seems to be a hub for MS's.

Thanks.

Chicago seems to be a black hole for MS's. Lots go in but few come out. I can image the Chicago rail yard bring full of Teslas leaving no room for anything else. When I was getting any sort of status, I was told that my car was sitting there for at least 10 days.

Apparently mine finally got put on a truck out of the Windy City last week, but I have yet to get confirmation.

I saw a train pass through Rochester today with car carrier cars... I couldn't help but wonder if my tesla was on there. Canadian Pacific rail cars if anyone cares.

I work near the old Erie Canal so if tesla really wants to cut costs they can put them on motorized barges... According to the canal website you can get from Buffalo to Albany in about 5 days... If you're really cost conscious I bet you could hire some mule-towed barges the old fashioned way.

Anyways I'll keep an eye on the canal for any Tesla barges and let anyone know if I see some pass through. I'm only on 53 days waiting but will be a painful 30 days in transit when my 2nd delivery date comes next weekend.

A gasket between the car and motor was torn. Allowed water into the rear drive unit. I'd presume this probably wasn't apparent at the factory because the car probably didn't get enough exposure to water.

Part of the QC testing should involve a pretty intense spray down off the car from all angles. May have been that the damage from the water didn't show up right away.

I read somewhere now that they may not use the water spray test for leaks at all. Instead they deploy an ultrasonic type device in the car's interior and have measurement tools outside the car to see if any waves are getting through in areas. It is more environmentally friendly apparently and can catch more leaks they state... may be true since some leaks are slow to appear if they have to dampen material, etc.

My order was "confirmed" yesterday!!!! So excited.
I ordered the car on May 31. Confirmed on June 7th.
When I ordered the delivery estimate was "July." As of yesterday it changed to "late June."
Is there any over-all experience from all of you as to how long a car takes once it is confirmed? I live in Southern California, so the transport time should not be very long.

Thanks all!
Mike
85D blue metallic black next gen autopilot 19" wheels pano roof

My order was "confirmed" yesterday!!!! So excited.
I ordered the car on May 31. Confirmed on June 7th.
When I ordered the delivery estimate was "July." As of yesterday it changed to "late June."
Is there any over-all experience from all of you as to how long a car takes once it is confirmed? I live in Southern California, so the transport time should not be very long.

Thanks all!
Mike
85D blue metallic black next gen autopilot 19" wheels pano roof

Mine was confirmed on May 15th, and is now on a truck out here to Denver, CO. I should be picking it up next week. So about 30 days.

I wanted to share good news, since several people, including I, have been hard on Tesla around deliveries. Today I shot a message up the executive chain to try to understand why my car delivery is late/missing. Within 10 minutes I received a response from Jerome Guillen himself who expressed concern and promised to get it resolved quickly. Shortly after that I received a follow up message from from the manager who oversees North American deliveries, cc'ing everyone down to my DS to explain the unfortunate situation.

Apparently my car was mistakenly labelled as a car for Chicago delivery, which is why it sat there for 10 days until someone noticed that it had no place to go. Once they realized there was a problem, my local DS, Eric, correctly got it put on a truck and expressed to Montreal, where it is finally scheduled to arrive later in the week. While it shouldn't have required an escalation to a top exec to force the right message to be divulged, in the end the right things got done. Unfortunately I wasn't notified of the mistake as soon as it happened, resulting in me losing my s**t with my DS, who's only crime was not communicating the error as soon as it was realized.

Anyway, seeing how quickly the issue was communicated has helped reinstate my faith in my purchase and I'm hoping to have my car by the weekend. I just wanted to give credit starting with my DS and all the way to the top of the exec chain. I wonder how often this sort of location labelling problem happens. If your car is nearing its estimated delivery date but you haven't heard confirmation from your DS it would be worth your while to chase it down in your own.

I wanted to share good news, since several people, including I, have been hard on Tesla around deliveries. Today I shot a message up the executive chain to try to understand why my car delivery is late/missing. Within 10 minutes I received a response from Jerome Guillen himself who expressed concern and promised to get it resolved quickly. Shortly after that I received a follow up message from from the manager who oversees North American deliveries, cc'ing everyone down to my DS to explain the unfortunate situation.

Apparently my car was mistakenly labelled as a car for Chicago delivery, which is why it sat there for 10 days until someone noticed that it had no place to go. Once they realized there was a problem, my local DS, Eric, correctly got it put on a truck and expressed to Montreal, where it is finally scheduled to arrive later in the week. While it shouldn't have required an escalation to a top exec to force the right message to be divulged, in the end the right things got done. Unfortunately I wasn't notified of the mistake as soon as it happened, resulting in me losing my s**t with my DS, who's only crime was not communicating the error as soon as it was realized.

Anyway, seeing how quickly the issue was communicated has helped reinstate my faith in my purchase and I'm hoping to have my car by the weekend. I just wanted to give credit starting with my DS and all the way to the top of the exec chain. I wonder how often this sort of location labelling problem happens. If your car is nearing its estimated delivery date but you haven't heard confirmation from your DS it would be worth your while to chase it down in your own.

I hope there is place for other cars on that truck. Mine was suppose to arrive in Montreal beginning of this week but there is supposedly a delay on the CN tracks. I guess that means it is stuck in Chicago.

I hope there is place for other cars on that truck. Mine was suppose to arrive in Montreal beginning of this week but there is supposedly a delay on the CN tracks. I guess that means it is stuck in Chicago.

One would have to assume that it is a regular car carrier (hopefully covered), which would hold more than one car. I know of a few people delayed in Chicago on the way to Montreal.

I'm glad you got some sort of delivery commitment although at this point if I were you I'd wait for tangible results before I get too excited.

I'm on the fence as to whether I should cancel my personal plans this Saturday in order to be around for my second "delivery date". Have to decide by Wednesday or I lose 100 bucks!