Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need to keep this clean. There are kids on this forum - mostly on another thread complaining about the yoke but they are here...
Trying trying. But I feel like this forum has covered everything at this point? Yoke blah blah, Tesla quality control blah blah. Delivery pushed back omg blah blah blah.

Not much left to talk about except the lurid details of our interpersonal relationships. 😂

My local shop that works on 1000's of Tesla's recommended NOT tinting the sunroof. They would do it if I wanted but said it had a much higher risk of cracking the glass due to excessive heat. If anyone would know, they would.

With the rest of my car tinted now I do not really see the need for it either.

That did happen with Model 3's a couple of years ago. I would like to tint my S roof but am afraid of this same thing. I would have to defer to their judgment since you will definitely not get a good answer from Tesla.

Super exciting!!! It's left Freemont!

screenshot.jpg

That did happen with Model 3's a couple of years ago. I would like to tint my S roof but am afraid of this same thing. I would have to defer to their judgment since you will definitely not get a good answer from Tesla.
I would call BS on the tinting shop that claims tinting a sunroof can crack it. How does reducing the temperature create more heat?. Team Acme As for something like this happening with Model 3's I bet it was an imperfection in the glass itself and if it happened on non-tinted as well as tinted sunroofs.

It is your car and it's your discretion if you will feel uncomfortable if it's tinted but I would instead ask a few other places and research it rather than believing "ONE INDIVIDUAL".
Like I always say, if something was so prevalent; it would be something that everyone is aware of and not some urban legend that some tinting shop owner thinks is true. I bet he has NEVER seen a cracked sunroof and he just doesn't want to do it.
Here is another reference from a few years ago on this website. Cracked sunroof caused by tint?

I would call BS on the tinting shop that claims tinting a sunroof can crack it. How does reducing the temperature create more heat?. Team Acme As for something like this happening with Model 3's I bet it was an imperfection in the glass itself and if it happened on non-tinted as well as tinted sunroofs.

It is your car and it's your discretion if you will feel uncomfortable if it's tinted but I would instead ask a few other places and research it rather than believing "ONE INDIVIDUAL".
Like I always say, if something was so prevalent; it would be something that everyone is aware of and not some urban legend that some tinting shop owner thinks is true. I bet he has NEVER seen a cracked sunroof and he just doesn't want to do it.
Here is another reference from a few years ago on this website. Cracked sunroof caused by tint?

The way it was explained is that the layer of tint would Block the heat from the cabin but also trap it between the layers of glass. Not sure how accurate.

The way it was explained is that the layer of tint would Block the heat from the cabin but also trap it between the layers of glass. Not sure how accurate.
I heard this for dual pane house windows, where there’s space between the windows. But I’ve never heard this for car windows.

Also the windshield is exactly like the roof glass. Two panes sandwiched together, so how is the roof glass more prone to cracking over the windshield when it’s the same exact thing. And the new Tesla’s come with dual pane windows on the sides as well, so will they not recommend tinting those?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid