Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a 57PF53 today. No cosmetic issues at all. If someone had rejected it for whatever reason, who cares? Of course if you believe that a 2023 VIN should not be picked up in 2024 then it is what it is.
Very helpful and good point about a rejection.

As to the 2023 VIN, that's not a big deal for me since I'm a long hold -- I would've kept my 2020 M3 for 4-8 more years except I could use the additional range, and the price drop on the MS made it worth pulling the trigger.

Reactions: StalkOrNoStalk
Very helpful and good point about a rejection.

As to the 2023 VIN, that's not a big deal for me since I'm a long hold -- I would've kept my 2020 M3 for 4-8 more years except I could use the additional range, and the price drop on the MS made it worth pulling the trigger.
If your VIN is 53x then in all likelihood it is a December build. The door sticker on my 530x says 12/2023. Advisor had told me factory ready on 12/19. You could go and look at it. If there are cosmetic issues then you should reject it irrespective of build date or VIN year.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Did anyone with a plaid order get the below email?:

Thank you for your Model S order (RNxxxxxxxx) placed on November xx, 2023. We are contacting you to let you know that we do not build the configuration you originally selected. To move forward with your order, please reconfigure your Model S at your earliest convenience.

We received updated EPA range estimates for Model S Plaid that are slightly lower than when you placed your order. This update is a result of several comfort and functionality improvements we’ve made across our vehicles, which require more energy from the battery pack. The EPA also updated their range testing guidance to ensure sticker estimates for all manufacturers more closely reflect real-world range, impacting previous range estimates for all manufacturers, not just Tesla.

To update your design, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select ‘Update Design’ by January xx, 2024.

If we do not hear from you by January xx, 2024, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order fee.

Thank you for supporting the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Thank you for your Model S order (RNxxxxxxxx) placed on November xx, 2023. We are contacting you to let you know that we do not build the configuration you originally selected. To move forward with your order, please reconfigure your Model S at your earliest convenience.

We received updated EPA range estimates for Model S Plaid that are slightly lower than when you placed your order. This update is a result of several comfort and functionality improvements we’ve made across our vehicles, which require more energy from the battery pack. The EPA also updated their range testing guidance to ensure sticker estimates for all manufacturers more closely reflect real-world range, impacting previous range estimates for all manufacturers, not just Tesla.

To update your design, please sign in to your Tesla Account and select ‘Update Design’ by January xx, 2024.

If we do not hear from you by January xx, 2024, we will assume that you no longer wish to purchase a vehicle. We will automatically cancel your order and refund your order fee.

Yep.

Yep. I just got the same email.

I would expect it to cost $750-1000... (New wheel/yoke and air bag)
I'd be fine with that. It's a major issue (for some people at least) and should never really have happened but willing to pay to fix it for a car I plan to keep for years. It'd be great if they just made it with a turn signal stalk and gear selector as well but that won't happen of course.

There is that company that takes steering wheels and redoes them in better materials. So might be able to get some value back.

Last edited:
I would expect it to cost $750-1000... (New wheel/yoke and air bag)
Steering wheel retrofit for yoke cars was $700, so I’m hoping that or less is what we have to pay.

If I was willing to deal with the hassle, I’d be tempted to try the small claims route noting Elon’s still visible statement that all cars after 11/21 have the hardware and just need software activation.

I picked up a 57PF53 today. No cosmetic issues at all. If someone had rejected it for whatever reason, who cares? Of course if you believe that a 2023 VIN should not be picked up in 2024 then it is what it is.
What comes of you to accept this vehicle in 2024. Burn it to the ground!

Enjoy your vehicle! (Or pile of ash)

Steering wheel retrofit for yoke cars was $700, so I’m hoping that or less is what we have to pay.

If I was willing to deal with the hassle, I’d be tempted to try the small claims route noting Elon’s still visible statement that all cars after 11/21 have the hardware and just need software activation.
The part that bothers me is Tesla never bothered to correct that statement. Sure, he simply could have made a mistake but I'm sure an engineer or VP knew within a day or so that the statement wasn't remotely true. They should have simply corrected it and said something vague like 'we hope to have a solution for this soon' even if that wasn't true. But no PR department I guess.

That won't happen as it would require much more than the wheel and air bag. But I hope they use the updated turn signal buttons on the wheel like it is reported that the Cybertruck has.
I didn't see they updated the buttons. Are they physical buttons now? I did a quick search but didn't see anything. Thanks. I'd be fine with that. The turn signal is less of a problem for me than the horn. Not a fan of the 1 inch strip (hidden by steering wheel from view) to change gears either but no hope of that changing.

Wonder what happens to those that have not yet had their yoke replaced under warranty for peeling. Do you just get the new one for free? Or are you saying the center airbag / horn module would be swapped from the peeling yoke to the new one?
I would think you get the new version and a new air bag. (It seems that a new air bag is required for the new wheel/yoke.) Unless they have old stock laying around, but with the old part numbers gone they probably just scrapped them. And old stock wouldn't solve the peeling problem.

Reactions: dsm363 and cwanja